Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

I’m looking at the DSAAP requirements.

For calculation of Family income, it says that family (biological parents and/or guardians and/or siblings can be involved). I have 4 siblings.

So for the calculation of gross family income over 5 years, does that mean it would include the income of both my parents, and also my 4 siblings?

Also, it mentions the 5years post high school. If I graduated in 2010, would the 5 years considered be 2010-2015 or 2015-2020?

The admissions office won’t answer my questions regarding this.

thanks for any insight!

I also had the same question regarding this portion of DSAAP.

I brought it up at the information session and from what I can remember I do believe it considers your siblings as well. But it might be different if they are considered dependents. I would suggest you to email the college of medicine. I'm sure they will answer but it'll take them some time. It's a busy time of year for them.

When they answer, please post a response! I'm sure others have the same question.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:26 PM, BarbellsAndBicarb said:

I also had the same question regarding this portion of DSAAP.

I brought it up at the information session and from what I can remember I do believe it considers your siblings as well. But it might be different if they are considered dependents. I would suggest you to email the college of medicine. I'm sure they will answer but it'll take them some time. It's a busy time of year for them.

When they answer, please post a response! I'm sure others have the same question.

I have emailed them and unfortunately they gave me a blanket response saying that they will not respond to inquiries about how the DSAAP is “interpreted”, which is a bit concerning! To be fair, I just looked over the info document and it now has a bit more information on it.

But I also seem to never be able to get a response from them other than “please refer to information document”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 10:18 PM, Blankbla said:

I have emailed them and unfortunately they gave me a blanket response saying that they will not respond to inquiries about how the DSAAP is “interpreted”, which is a bit concerning! To be fair, I just looked over the info document and it now has a bit more information on it.

But I also seem to never be able to get a response from them other than “please refer to information document”.

Weird how they sent back such a broad response. 

Also to answer your other question, the calculation of income for 5 years. It would be the 5 years leading up to your application into the college of medicine.

• 4 months later...

Hey,

I am thinking about this again. I don't see how it's fair, for example if:

Applicant A: 1 sibling, makes 20k, parents make 20k each = 60k

Applicant B: 5 siblings, each making 20k + parents 20k each = 140k

How do they account for the applicant B that has more siblings making their family income over the 80k threshold?

• 3 months later...

I'd love it if usask were more transparent with the DSAAP program. I've emailed them about certain scenarios and was told that it would be brought up with the DSAAP committee which I was happy to hear. The guidelines they have so far are pretty good, but can definitely be improved. I think it's a really great program/initiative!

• 1 year later...

I realize this is a bit late but has anyone heard from their DSAAP references that they were contacted by Admissions?

The USask website says they should have been contacted in January.

Mine weren't so I'm guessing this means I am not being considered under the DSAAP? I think I completed part of the application incorrectly so I wouldn't be too surprised if it was tossed. 

5 hours ago, HALP said:

Mine weren't so I'm guessing this means I am not being considered under the DSAAP? I think I completed part of the application incorrectly so I wouldn't be too surprised if it was tossed. 

Likely the case. If you look over the 5-year summary report, you'll see that after MCAT and Casper cutoffs, there's a document review stage for eligibility prior to reference calls and a number of applicants don't meet the criteria at that point.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, Blankbla said:

So for the calculation of gross family income over 5 years, does that mean it would include the income of both my parents, and also my 4 siblings?

Also, it mentions the 5years post high school. If I graduated in 2010, would the 5 years considered be 2010-2015 or 2015-2020?

The admissions office won’t answer my questions regarding this.

I know it's probably too late for the application, but to help future applicants. Going through their website, the current requirement is that you'll need both periods, i.e. 2010-2015 (post highschool and must include parents as per the school website even if you lived separately), as well as the 2015-2020 (or 2017-2022 for next cycle). If you lived your your parents at any of these points, in addition to parents income, all siblings living in the household must be included (unless they lived independently and can provide supporting documents to show).

On 3/15/2022 at 6:51 PM, HALP said:

I realize this is a bit late but has anyone heard from their DSAAP references that they were contacted by Admissions?

The USask website says they should have been contacted in January.

Mine were contacted in the middle of December, so it is likely that you weren't considered under DSAAP.