Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Interview Invites/regrets 2020

med321

5 minutes ago, lissssssssa said:

@Hikki97 Hi! Last year I submitted my documents for IP and got an email saying they were not eligible and I need to submit other documents to prove my IP. So most likely if they don't think you are eligible they will contact you. You can always call to check why you are refused.

Thanks a bunch! Its just a bit confused since I never got the email or the verification. I’ll do that then, maybe in the afternoon or Monday since they are busy right now haha

I'm very sceptical about this CASPER exam, I hate to rant about this but I'm seeing people on this forum and close friends that I know (who are great people) getting rejected with crazy high stats to schools that require this bloody exam. It's really not a fair assessment of "personality" especially given the bias against people that type fast and the lack of clarity on how it's marked. Also, I don't think I'm a bad person. I've worked extensively with special needs students and collaborated with families as a hospice volunteer for over 5 years and my feedback has always been positive. Maybe schools should stop asking people "What would you do? and focus more on "what have you done?". I just got an R as well, so perhaps I'm just salty haha... 

For anyone who received news they weren't hoping for, it's definitely a process that has a luck factor to it. Based on everyone's stats I am sure you are more than qualified. Don't give up - you will get in! Everyone around me who persisted (with realistic GPAs) have gotten accepted into a program. As hard as it is to hear - it's just a matter of time.

TIME STAMP: 9:15 am
Result:  Reject
cGPA: 3.73
MCAT: 127/126/130/130
ECs: Average, a lot of research,  co-author on a published paper. Competitive cheerleading for over 6 years. Volunteering and shadowing in Hospitals. A lot of other work experience outside of research/medicine. I feel like my EC can use some improvement. 
Year: Finished undergrad, working as a research assistant. 

Casper: I felt confident about my answers even though I left some blank. No idea if I did well or not.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

Overall, I wasn't very confident with a lower GPA, but I was hopeful. I am disappointed :( .

TIME STAMP: 10:50am

Result: Refused
wGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 512 (127/128/127/130)
ECs: high level sports, VP of club, volunteering in sports only, undergraduate TA, worked in medical clinics for 6 years, some academic awards. (No research or traditional volunteering)
Year: graduated last year (2 undergraduate degrees)

Letter of EC: No

CASPer: never feels great, who knows

TIME STAMP: 10:40
Result: Reject (was interviewed in 2017, then refused pre-interview every year since)
wGPA: 3.6
ECs: Lots pf reseach and publications, other projects to improve knowledge tranfer and help parents of children in the NICU, student associations, ethics committee, etc, CV was scored in top 10 last year so not much I can do except find out how to score crazy high on the casper because the theory that if you have a nice CV, i.e. relevant experiences, it will correlate with high casper doesn’t seem true for me: last year cv was ranked in top 10 and casper was 300/800
Year: 4th tear PhD

TIME STAMP: 10:45 am
Result:  Reject (first year applying)
cGPA: 3.96
MCAT: not submited
ECs: Founder of 6 health clinics, founder of a professionnel association, two publications including a book, sports (including ironman 70.3, duathlon, etc),  many projets with lots of responsabilities and leadership, >10 years of experience in healthcare as a registered dietitian...  
Year: 2nd year of a 2nd undergrad (first one in dietetics)

Casper: I felt really confident about my answers.

Letter of EC: Yes 

4 minutes ago, marjemarj said:

TIME STAMP: 10:45 am
Result:  Reject (first year applying)
cGPA: 3.96
MCAT: not submited
ECs: Founder of 6 health clinics, founder of a professionnel association, two publications including a book, sports (including ironman 70.3, duathlon, etc),  many projets with lots of responsabilities and leadership, >10 years of experience in healthcare as a registered dietitian...  
Year: 2nd year of a 2nd undergrad (first one in dietetics)

Casper: I felt really confident about my answers.

Letter of EC: Yes 

Sad to hear. Curious what does "founder of 6 health clinics" mean?