Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Interview Invites/regrets 2020

med321

TIME STAMP: 9:05 am

Result: Refused
wGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 511 (129/126/128/128)
ECs: VP and founder of a club, 250+ hours in clinical volunteering, 100+ non-clinical volunteering, worked multiple jobs,  participated in multiple observership programs, multiple academic awards, and more. PM if you want to know.

Casper: I felt pretty good about it even though I left a few spaces with only a sentence or two. Tried to provide quality over quantity.

Year: graduated last year (gap year)

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letter of EC: No

From the looks of it, I'll be going the masters route and reapply once I finish that.

This whole process sucks. :(

TIME STAMP: 11:05
Result: Reviewed - Decision Pending
cGPA: 3.57 (lol)
MCAT: Never did it
ECs: Diverse and complete, not oriented towards medicine though (no shadowing or hospital volunteering included), you can contact me if you have questions
Year: graduated BSc and MSc

Casper: Felt good, third year writing it and honestly I've ranked very well in Casper every year

IP/OOP/International: IP

First time it's not just a rejection... Usually I rank very very far soooo... I mean okay

TIME STAMP: 10:50
Result: Invite 
wGPA: 3.83
MCAT: No
ECs: Multiple degrees,  multiple years of healthcare practice. 
Year: 2x Bachelor 1x Masters - Professional tilte

Second time doing Casper this year. Zero stress, answered everything and was just genuine. I strayed away from the formulas and went the route that I would in professionnal practice. Seems it turned out ok. Last year I was ranked in the top 10-15% for it! i don`t remember exact spot. Good luck to all.

TIME STAMP: 9:10
Result: "decision pending" - waitlist
wGPA: Either 3.85 or 3.91 depending on if they considered my letter of EC
MCAT: Not submitted
ECs: Had a long term career in a non medical field and started my own business. Some sports and music as well as the usual hospital volunteering and community work / mentoring. Some research but no publications.
Year: Graduated UG last year

Letter of EC: Yes

wGPA: 3.68 (BSc in a professional degree so would have got a slight boost)
MCAT: No
ECs: MPH, extensive public health work
Year: Graduated from MPH 3 years ago, working full time, CDC internship in South America, lots of community service, underserved pop oriented activities. Felt ECs were good and written well

Knew my GPA was low but still had hope. But it's ok since I have 2 MD acceptances in USA. These schools all required CASPER so it must not have been too bad since I was accepted. Good luck to everyone! You will make in your own way and in your own time. Don't ever give up if this is what you really want!

TIME STAMP: 11:42
Result: Invite!
wGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 514 (129,125,132,128)
ECs: Working full time in ED, started own business, clinical pediatric research, ++ wet lab research, some sports and academic awards, PM me w/ questions.
Year: First year out of BSc

Casper - It felt good except for one prompt, but who really knows

TIME STAMP: 10:45 am
Result: Invite :D
wGPA: 3.93 (with EC), without = 3.86
MCAT: Never wrote it
ECs: Multiple employments, 3 summers of research, 1 publication, 2 poster presentations, hospital volunteering, committee member of a non-profit organization, and some extracurriculars such as competitions, dancing, etc.
Year: Finishing UG this year (2020)

22 minutes ago, Dr. House's Good Leg said:

TIME STAMP: 9:10
Result: "decision pending" - waitlist
wGPA: Either 3.85 or 3.91 depending on if they considered my letter of EC
MCAT: Not submitted
ECs: Had a long term career in a non medical field and started my own business. Some sports and music as well as the usual hospital volunteering and community work / mentoring. Some research but no publications.
Year: Graduated UG last year

Decision pending means waitlist for the interviews? Thats what mine says too..

TIME STAMP: 11:58
Result:  Invite!
cGPA: 3.84
MCAT: 524
ECs: Below average I think. Lots of diverse experiences (have written a novel, made a short film, budget/solo travelling, volunteering) but little research.
Year: MSc 

Casper: I *thought* it went below average, but I ended up getting interviews to Mac, Manitoba, and McGill despite my GPA being a bit lower than average so it must have went well. I didn't prepare for CASPer at all, but I am luckily a fast typer so I guess that helped

IP/OOP/International: OOP (Ontario)

Honestly was not expecting this at all, so I'm feeling very fortunate. For those who were rejected, I honestly feel that med school in Canada is sooooo competitive and that so much of it is luck of the draw. Hang in there! Still 6ish schools to hear back from!

TIME STAMP: 9:10ish AM

wGPA: 3.73

MCAT: 514 

ECs: Not amazing. A few summers research, some light club leadership, weekly lab volunteering, one summer at a clinic. 

Casper: OKay? Idk, first try. 

Year: 4th year undergrad 

Does anyone know how I can contact them to get my rankings? This result was kind of expected but I wanted to get an idea of where I stand. I didn’t get an email, just saw it on Minerva. 

23 minutes ago, Actto said:

TIME STAMP: 9:10ish AM

wGPA: 3.73

MCAT: 514 

ECs: Not amazing. A few summers research, some light club leadership, weekly lab volunteering, one summer at a clinic. 

Casper: OKay? Idk, first try. 

Year: 4th year undergrad 

Does anyone know how I can contact them to get my rankings? This result was kind of expected but I wanted to get an idea of where I stand. I didn’t get an email, just saw it on Minerva. 

They're going to email you tonight or tomorrow @Actto and there will be a link to fill in a form for them to send your ranking, which will likely only actually be sent to you by email in mid-June. You shouldn't say the result was expected! Anything is possible with 3.70 and up provided you do well enough on the Casper and have a strong enough CV. Good luck in the future!

TIME STAMP: 11:30
Result: Invite!
wGPA: 3.89
MCAT: Nope
ECs: ICU volunteering, 1 publication biomedical engineering, research experience in biomechanics, 20 hour week, TA position
Year: UG 4th year Engineering

Casper felt great on some questions and terrible on other...