Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Interview Invites/regrets 2020

med321

Result: Waitlisted for interview

cGPA: 3.46

MCAT: No

ECs: 12 years volunteer first aider/ first responder/ instructor/ training coordinator (progression), 7 years reserve military medic, 3 years full-time nurse, several leadership positions (past and current), 10+ years competitive volleyball

Casper: Felt all right, nursing really helped

Year: 2nd UG first-year Software Engineering (I know, I have a lot of interests)

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: Yes

TIME STAMP: N/A, checked Minerva
Result: Refused (RIP)

wGPA: How does wGPA work? cGPA is 3.98 but had to add in international bacc marks for some of those science prerequisites (sadly, had a 6 for the chemistry component)
MCAT: 518, but don't remember if I submitted it or not (Believe it was 129/126/132/131)

ECs: Pretty average, some research (NSERC, honours, other misc lab experience), exec in a few clubs, some misc work experience + volunteering

Casper: No idea, thought it could have gone better but ended up with interviews for Mac and Ottawa

Year: 4th year UG in an Honours life sci program, graduating at the end of this semester

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letter of EC: No

I know OOP is always competitive but hoped my GPA might pull through... can't always have it all though! Good luck to everyone who's interviewing, have fun and kill it! ❤

TIME STAMP: N/A (Email at 22:07)

Result: waitlisted for interview (first time applying)

cGPA: 3.800 (3.846 at UdeM)

MCAT: N/A

ECs: lots of clinical experience in hospital, more to come, 1 research experience prior one more coming soon due to honor program. Volunteering at University and in a CHSLD (since 2014). Leading an environmental project. Probably need more to be honest.

Year: (2nd UG) last year of BSc Nursing (Honor). Graduated BSc Biopharmaceutical Sciences (2017)

CASPer: i felt good about it but i guess not enough for interview? Bought the Casper book to help. First time i ever did the casper, finished every question but not necessarily all in dept.

Letter of EC: Not submitted

TIME STAMP: ~10:30 (Minerva) and email at 22:07

Result: waitlisted for interview

cGPA: 3.92 (2nd undergrad)

MCAT: did not submit

ECs: Years of lab experience, volunteering at cancer clinic and charity, volunteer mission abroad, some sports (nothing major), one publication as co-author, 3 poster presentations as 1st author at international conferences, a few scholarships and prizes. -I think I need to work more on them, make them more diverse. 

Year: just finished 2nd undergrad this December. (1st: BSc Biological Sciences, low GPA, 2nd: BSc Psychology & Neuroscience). 

CASPer: did lots of prep with Astroff, but honestly don’t think it went well. Answered all questions, but not necessarily in a great manner I don’t think. 

Letter of EC: did not submit 

Observations: pretty upset as I thought I had a good chance for an interview at least, but guess not. It’s a guessing game. However I am happy that it’s not a rejection right away, hoping to be called. It’d be nice if the people on waiting list that get called post on here :)

Good luck, everyone! Don’t stop believing! 

TIME STAMP: 13h (watched minerva)
Result: Reject
wGPA: 3.68 (professional degree)
ECs: Multiple different and significant professional experiences, some volunteering, sports ++. 
Year: UG (2015), presently doing graduate studies in applied ethics while working full-time professionally. 

Casper: no idea, we never really know...

Additional info: very disappointed with this result :(. I really worked hard this year to better my application. Last year, was good enough to get an interview. And this year, started graduate studies and much more work experience... I don't understand. But well, we gotta trust something better is coming our way, even though it sucks.

I congratulate every applicant who got an interview. Wish you the best of luck for the next step !!! :) 

TIME STAMP: 22:30 (Yes I got the email at night!)
Result: Invite 
degree GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 128/132/130/130 (520)

ECs: 3 years hospital volunteering, 2 years homeless shelter volunteering, 2 years literacy advocacy volunteering, provincial director of an international student-run charity, clinical research paper first author (not published yet), poster presentation at one local & one national conference, one university scholarship for community involvement, tutoring underprivileged children, playing a musical instrument as a hobby

Casper: practiced with Casperfect. I thought I could have done better tbh! but it went ok. Answered all questions to a decent length.

Year: UG (last year)

TIME STAMP: 10:04PM (but got my answer in the morning yesterday, while neurotically checking minerva) 
Result: Invite ! 
degree GPA: 3.70
MCAT: Did not submit
ECs: First author on research papers on a couple of occasions, some volunteering here and there, lots of work outside of school as well as lab work. Currently in graduate school and loving it, because getting those scholarship awards makes me feel loved again (not something I put on my application since that happened in the past two or three months). Some amateur sports, and a few school awards. 

Casper: I felt like it went well! I practiced typing quickly, nothing more nothing less. Didn't leave any questions blank, since I subscribe to the mentality that it's 'quantity over quality' for CASPER. 

Year: First year of grad school

Letter of EC: Nope

Didn't expect this, but it was one of the best moments of my life. 

On 1/24/2020 at 10:12 AM, Hikki97 said:

IP refused

is it possible that my IP status was not approved since I never received the verification? But I never got contacted regarding switching my residential status:(

Sorry for the outcome. Some of us are in a similar position. I just realized that they have updated their website to state that Casper could be used to pre-screen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). This is totally new to me as I never saw it on their website before, so I have started a survey to verify this. Please visit the survey thread and enter you info here: 

If you guys are looking for MMI coaching to ace your interviews, and want to do it with actual MCGILL MED STUDENTS, head over to mymedcoach.ca. I know this feels spammy, BUT it makes a difference. the MMIs are getting harder every year because people know what to expect and are practicing. people are coming with a lot more thoughtful answers. your $$ also goes towards a health charity! This is far more affordable than SOME coaching businesses, that are not as helpful hint bgeins with A, ends with F, charging hundreds of dollars per hour (ridiculous...)

TIME STAMP: don't remember; sometime between 10-11am
Result: Invite 
degree GPA: 3.89 (from 2nd UG)
ECs: not much besides my position as pharmacist

Casper: Felt like I did just as well as last year
Year: completed Pharm.D., completed 2nd UG, 1st year M.Sc. 

Letter of EC: N/A

Result: Waitlisted for interview :(
wGPA: 3,80
ECs: Two internships and a part-time job as a research assistant, volunteering, a few publications (2 first authors), provincial & federal grants, and a few presentations as well.
Year: Just finished my Masters (10/2019), but have not yet received my grades. I also just started a PhD

Casper : I think I did well... Didn't left anything blank. I'm a fast typer so it usually helps.

EDIT : I just checked my Minerva account (Tuesday, January 28th, 3:20 PM) and my status changed for "Further examination required" and I have an interview date!!

•  

2 minutes ago, m.shield said:

Congrats thats amazing!! Did they let you know by phone or did you find out through Minerva?

I had an email from the admissions office at 22:00 telling me i was invited (after being on the waitlist!). Then it gave a link to a page where it explains the interview process and the documentation to submit to Minerva

Result: invite ! 
wGPA: 3,89
ECs: PM me for more details but I believe that I have a balanced CV overall with publications , conferences, awards, organizing events with various non-profit organizations, consistently volunteering locally and abroad and hobbies ( electronic devices troubleshooting, recreational diving, science awareness blog, self-taught languages). 

Casper : I think I did good. The only preparation I did was on how to structure the answer framework. 

Letter of EC: Yes, but it's not relevant as that year doesn't count in my undergrad, but I submitted one just in case. 

Additional : it's always a blessing to have an invite even if it's not the first time, but for reapplicants like me who've done the interview previously and keep getting refused at a few spots away from the waitlist, it's so hard to be so excited about it unless we actually get in.

Good luck to everyone doing the interviews. And for those who got refused, it's a tough pill to swallow, but seriously just keep trying and if you're too far on the list, consider changing things in your application. Sometimes little things could make a huge difference in where you rank ❤️ Cheers. 

wGPA: 3.86 (~3.9+ with EC if considered)

ECs:  Healthcare related: 2+ years board director for mental health organization, ICU shadowing ..... Non-Healthcare related: 10+ years  working in marketing and sales, including several years as executive director of company, 5+ years as an international touring and musician and band manager. So, a fair bit of leadership roles and all quite varied. 

Casper: finished top 10-12% in rankings for last two NTP cycles, both times. Felt pretty much this same this time around, although I did realize I misread a question midway through one scenario and ended up with a one-liner response for that. I haven't taken any courses and didn't practice; I just gave my most natural, honest responses that I could while typing reasonably fast. 

Year: Graduated UG in 2008

Additional: I was a totally non-science-background NTP applicant last two cycles who was wait-listed for the interview both times. After last rejection, I decided to take a lunge by completing all 7 pre-reqs this past year to qualify in the 'traditional'/MDCM stream to increase my chances. I found myself lucky to have decided to do that since they eliminated NTP stream. So, while I am a bit gutted to not even get an interview after really going for it this past year, I'm glad I got those pre-reqs out of the way and look forward to seeing what I can do to submit a viable application next cycle.  I am in my 30s, finished a BA in Arts/Humanities in my early twenties and did a bunch of things in the past decade but have been involved in more mental health and social work on a voluntary basis in past few years, leading me to seek a career in medicine. Really eager to see what the rankings are like because I have no idea what to do to change my application for next year given that my GPA and ECs aren't going to change tremendously... but what do I know!? For better or worse, Casper might be the wild card a lot of people speculate it to be. 

Truly happy for those with an interview, especially those who've been knocked down before in this pursuit as well as those who come from a non-trad background. Good luck to all, this round and future ones! 

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, notacliche said:

wGPA: 3.86 (~3.9+ with EC if considered)

ECs:  Healthcare related: 2+ years board director for mental health organization, ICU shadowing ..... Non-Healthcare related: 10+ years  working in marketing and sales, including several years as executive director of company, 5+ years as an international touring and musician and band manager. So, a fair bit of leadership roles and all quite varied. 

Casper: finished top 10-12% in rankings for last two NTP cycles, both times. Felt pretty much this same this time around, although I did realize I misread a question midway through one scenario and ended up with a one-liner response for that. I haven't taken any courses and didn't practice; I just gave my most natural, honest responses that I could while typing reasonably fast. 

Year: Graduated UG in 2008

Additional: I was a totally non-science-background NTP applicant last two cycles who was wait-listed for the interview both times. After last rejection, I decided to take a lunge by completing all 7 pre-reqs this past year to qualify in the 'traditional'/MDCM stream to increase my chances. I found myself lucky to have decided to do that since they eliminated NTP stream. So, while I am a bit gutted to not even get an interview after really going for it this past year, I'm glad I got those pre-reqs out of the way and look forward to seeing what I can do to submit a viable application next cycle.  I am in my 30s, finished a BA in Arts/Humanities in my early twenties and did a bunch of things in the past decade but have been involved in more mental health and social work on a voluntary basis in past few years, leading me to seek a career in medicine. Really eager to see what the rankings are like because I have no idea what to do to change my application for next year given that my GPA and ECs aren't going to change tremendously... but what do I know!? For better or worse, Casper might be the wild card a lot of people speculate it to be. 

Truly happy for those with an interview, especially those who've been knocked down before in this pursuit as well as those who come from a non-trad background. Good luck to all, this round and future ones! 

Will they release the rankings mid june ? i really want to learn more about your stats if you were interested to share because im wondering where you could improve. To me, your application looks very good !

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 5:09 PM, Lilllly said:

Will they release the rankings mid june ? i really want to learn more about your stats if you were interested to share because im wondering where you could improve. To me, your application looks very good !

Thanks @Lilllly :) I finally received my ranking and I landed between 370 and 385 out of 788 in the prescreen cohort (don't want to identify myself with my precise ranking). They don't provide more than the overall ranking, unfortunately. So, not sure if it was more CASPer or GPA that brought me down, but I feel like this is workable either way given that it appears that rankings can fluctuate considerably from year to year for repeat applicants. 

What I am curious to know is if they are going to increase the number of interviewees next cycle due to the increase in seats. I don't know if people have mentioned it here on the forum but there will be more seats across all QC med schools opening up over the next few years (see. e.g., https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-expands-admissions-to-medical-schools-by-more-than-100) This probably explains the big jump between 86 seats in 2019 to 115 seats this year.

In the past they have mentioned that they aim to interview ~3x the number of available spots. E.g. in 2019: 256 interviews for 86 spots. This past cycle was aberrant because the interviews were sent out before the announcement to increase spots. However, this makes me wonder if next cycle they will invite ~345 granted that there will be ~115 next cycle too. Just a thought. Anyone happen to have any insight into this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 1:38 PM, notacliche said:

Thanks @Lilllly:) I finally received my ranking and I landed between 370 and 385 out of 788 in the prescreen cohort (don't want to identify myself with my precise ranking). They don't provide more than the overall ranking, unfortunately. So, not sure if it was more CASPer or GPA that brought me down, but I feel like this is workable either way given that it appears that rankings can fluctuate considerably from year to year for repeat applicants. 

What I am curious to know is if they are going to increase the number of interviewees next cycle due to the increase in seats. I don't know if people have mentioned it here on the forum but there will be more seats across all QC med schools opening up over the next few years (see. e.g., https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-expands-admissions-to-medical-schools-by-more-than-100) This probably explains the big jump between 86 seats in 2019 to 115 seats this year.

In the past they have mentioned that they aim to interview ~3x the number of available spots. E.g. in 2019: 256 interviews for 86 spots. This past cycle was aberrant because the interviews were sent out before the announcement to increase spots. However, this makes me wonder if next cycle they will invite ~345 granted that there will be ~115 next cycle too. Just a thought. Anyone happen to have any insight into this?

Thank you for explaining. My ranking was pretty low and I am  certain that CASPER played a major role. That is why for this round, Ive been practicing quite heavily and for sure can tell why I ranked low. It is 20% so basically all of our life experience on CV is equated to the half of our performance on CASper exam. :| 

About the number of seats, I heard the same thing but I am unsure about the details!