Premed 101 Forums

Western interview invites/regrets 2020

6 minutes ago, chrsyjun said:

Just wondering - does anyone know if GPA/MCAT was assessed competitively? Or was it solely based on essays?

1 minute ago, hepburnmed said:

I would hazard that it wasn't assessed competitively, as I was offered an interview with a 2yGPA of 3.73 

No need to speculate. Western states pre-interview, GPA and MCAT are assessed purely as a cutoff. 3.7, 498 (just meeting cutoffs) is equivalent to 4.0, 528. Past that point, its only your essays that matter. 

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/medicine/admission_requirements.html 

Time Stamp: Jan 30 10:52 am

Invite/reject: Reject

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): N

2YGPA: 3.97 

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/129/132/129

Essays (X/8): 6/8; Ran out of time writing essays and thought I would go the quality over quantity route, not knowing it would hurt my application. Lesson learned!

Time Stamp: January 30, 10:18AM (MD program), 10:30AM (MD/PhD program)

Invite/reject: Invite!!

SWOMEN (Y/N): No

2YGPA: 4.00

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 127/128/128/131

Essays (X/8):  8/8 essays. I talked a lot about the skills I have developed across my ECs with specific examples, and about how theses skills apply to different aspects of medicine. For the About You section I wrote about my life before and after getting a diagnosis of ADHD in university, and how this has positively and negatively impacted me and my decision to pursue medicine as a career. I did not fill out the 'gaps/unusual circumstances' section though. 

Time Stamp: 10:05 AM

Invite/reject: Invite

2YGPA: ~3.98-4.00

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/130/126/129

Essays (X/8):  8/8 and the about you

Really surprised. Did not think I was that good of a writer so I thought my essays would be weak. And whew, I just barely made that 126 B/B cut-off, haha.

Time Stamp: 10:05 AM EST

IP/OOP: OOP

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 132/129/132/132

Essays (X/8):  7/8 (!) I completed the "About You" section with a personal story, but actually didn't do all 8 of the ABS essays. I wanted all of my essays (even though they were a little last minute) to be very pertinent to each category, and felt that a weak 8th might detract. I have no idea if that damaged my application, but luckily I still got an invite.

Time Stamp: 2020/01/30 @ 10:13am

SWOMEN (Y/N): Y

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 130/131/131/132 (524)

Essays (X/8):  8/8 + About You. I pulled an all nighter and did them all the night before (followed by my ABS and then Toronto's essays, lol). I've always been a pretty strong writer, so that probably saved me. I think I had two repeats (so 6 unique activities). I read that each aABS entry is read independently of the rest, so I wasn't too worried about repeating activities (I don't know whether or not this is true, though). I emphasized what I learned from each activity and then at the end wrote a tiny summary on how these skills apply to medicine.

Time Stamp: 9:56am

Invite/reject: Invite!

SWOMEN (Y/N): Y

2YGPA: 3.91

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 129/125/131/130

Essays (X/8): 7 + about you + academic explanations. Put quite a bit of time into them and tried very hard to create unique examples of what I had learned from my experiences. I really elaborated on them, with emphasis on how the skills/lessons will help be succeed in medicine. I didn't re-use any of my activities, thought I had screwed up by not writing 8 essays but I guess not!

Time Stamp: 10:04 AM EST

Invite/reject: Invite !!!!

2YGPA: 3.90

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/127/130/127

Essays (X/8):  8/8 - Tried to focus on the core values and choose from a diverse amount of experiences. My ECs are pretty strong (ranked in the 75th-100th percentile for UBC NAQ) and good enough for a Queen's interview two years ago. I personalized the 'About Me' section, but didn't put as much effort into the essays as I should have thinking that it was going to be a long shot that it would decrease to 127. 

This is my very first time interviewing at Western and I am so stoked! If anyone is in the Guelph or Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge tri-city area and would like to prep, I'm definitely up for it. Congrats to everyone else on getting an interview invite! To those who got regrets, keep pushing and don't give up on your dreams. This is my 5th cycle applying, and second interview ever, so there is always hope!

2 hours ago, inkbat said:

does anyone know if you can update your interview preferences after you've submitted them?

Yes, i think you just log into the portal and change them then resubmit. 

Semi-related, but do we get some kind of confirmation we have submitted interview requests other than the green text that appears when you click submit?

10 hours ago, rawshrimp said:

Yes, i think you just log into the portal and change them then resubmit. 

Semi-related, but do we get some kind of confirmation we have submitted interview requests other than the green text that appears when you click submit?

I submitted this morning and all I got was the confirmation in green text, no email or anything! 

5 minutes ago, Applicant1995 said:

Has anyone who is interviewing at Western received their interview date-time confirmation email yet? (The initial email said they would be sent on Wednesday, February 5, but I still have yet to receive mine. I inputed my preferences on Jan 30 and got the green message.)

I’m still waiting!

19 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

Hey everyone - do we just need to get to the interview 30 minutes before and then leave right after? As in, there are not other commitments during the day?

I still have to clean up this thread to hold just raw stats but there has never been anything required. There is a presentation typically and tours that you can attend for which the details are/will be provided . Of course med students are happy to talk to you about anything regarding the program - and many people just stay until all they want to know are answered :)

the schedule is here I believe (correct me if I am wrong ha)

https://prospective.schulichmeds.com/interview-weekend-schedule/

Edited by rmorelan

• 3 weeks later...