Premed 101 Forums

Feeling hopeless...

I would imagine there is always a chance of unforeseen circumstances arising for another applicant resulting in you being interviewed. It is not really possible to guess, your guess is as good as anybody else’s. Much depends upon Lady Luck.

You need to determine why the rejections, why a wait list. Are you marketing yourself to maximum advantage in your ABS and in your Essays? Where is there room for improvement? Do you focus on the CanMEDS competencies in your descriptions of your activities? Are your Essays compelling, interesting for the reader to read and do they touch upon what you believe they are looking for? 

it was many, many years ago when I went through this process, but I do remember, with guidance from others who are still on this Forum today, my Essay was compelling, and captured the imagination and interest of the reader. I was accepted into med school from a wait list after over 3 months, and I believe luck played an important part. Luck also played an important part of my selection into my residency program. 

I wish you luck! Welcome to the Forum. Perseverance is critical in this journey!

Perseverance is definitely key as Bambi said. Don't treat med school admission like the end all be all. There ARE many things we can do in life, to think otherwise is simply not true. Keep working on yourself and your application, enjoy life as best as you can, and find other potential vocations in the meantime if graduating. Took me and a few others on here 5 applications, it can be done. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, IMislove said:

Perseverance is definitely key as Bambi said. Don't treat med school admission like the end all be all. There ARE many things we can do in life, to think otherwise is simply not true. Keep working on yourself and your application, enjoy life as best as you can, and find other potential vocations in the meantime if graduating. Took me and a few others on here 5 applications, it can be done. Best of luck.

I would echo that there are lots of jobs available. Being a doctor isn’t the be all and end all and with the way current health care is going more and more docs are dissatisfied. There is a whole group of docs getting out of medicine. 

Keep trying but also make sure you have a backup plan that makes sense 

• 2 weeks later...