Premed 101 Forums

A Little Overwhelmed and Need Some Advice

Hey All,

With interview invites and rejections for Ontario med schools going out this month, I feel it's time to make decisions for the next few cycles. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with next steps, and I may not be the only one so I thought I might post here.

I am leaning toward either going for a second undergraduate degree or leaving to study abroad. I have read extensively about each option and have tried making a decision, but can't seem to shake off the uneasiness with any options. I hoped to hear some advice or maybe stories from individuals who have had to make such decisions to pursue the MD dream. Any (constructive/positive) thoughts are appreciated.

For some context: I have completed a 5-year undergrad in 2016 (lower GPA for 1st and 2nd year due to extenuating circumstances, higher for last 3 years) and currently finishing a long but successful 4-year research-based Master's (first author pub to come later this year, which has been my main focus). MCAT is not the best (507- 129/124/128/126 chem/cars/bio/psych), have tried re-writing and I keep scoring the same for CARS but this could also be explained by the lack of time to study during grad school...not sure. I have well balanced and meaningful ECs, but nothing extraordinary. So far, I have been unsuccessful with interviews in Canada after 3 application cycles.