Premed 101 Forums

McGill MDCM pre interview waitlist 2020

newbie978

8 minutes ago, newbie978 said:

do the chances of getting an interview off  the waitlist diminish as it gets closer to interview date? I'm waitlisted and not sure how many people have been waitlisted this year/ are my chances of getting off the waitlist realistic? 

From McGill's website : "A small number of applicants will be retained on a waiting list for interviews, should an interview slot become available (if an invited applicant declines). If no interview slot becomes available, these applicants will receive an official notice of refusal shortly after the interview dates for their applicant cohort." (source https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/after-youve-applied/admissions-decisions)

So my guess would be that your chances decrease over time... When we get an invite, we have 5 days to answer positively or negatively. Don't loose hope yet!

6 hours ago, Jacklib said:

If you're on the waitlist for interviews, how "last minute" can they contact you? I won't be in Montreal during the interview dates, so I'm wondering if they would give you a heads up for the next day. 

They can contact you pretty much up to the day of the interview. I personally was not on the waitlist but some people who were on the pre-interview waitlist last year were contacted a day or two before. It goes based on when someone who got an interview backs out and that can happen at any time.

23 hours ago, xdfghj1234 said:

yeah I'm also wondering if they just kept very few people on the waitlist who could statistically get a spot from a last minute cancellation and just changed the status of the rest of us to refused... 

That seems most likely. Wouldn’t have minded if they’d decided to do that before I flew to Montreal for the week...