Premed 101 Forums

Need advice!

Greetings to all!

I am an undergraduate student who is about to graduate. I changed study program in my first year of study. Officially, I am doing a concentration in sociology and a minor in psychology at an Ontarian university. My GPA is 7.71, but I should be able to finish with 8.So a little more than 3.7 in the Quebec 4.0 scale.

How does UdeM, UdeS and UL manage this kind of PA? At first I really thought I had a chance, but once I start digging, I realize that ultimately my chances are more than slim. Am I Right?

UL appears to calculate the university performance ratings (UPR) based on the program, the program average and the standard deviation. A program like mine offers a lower UPR than a program like actuarial (for example) because it is considered "easier". Is this really the case? Is it the same at UdeS and UdeM?

I need your opinions and your experiences!

Kind regards

Jeb

On 1/25/2020 at 7:28 PM, Jeb said:

UL appears to calculate the university performance ratings (UPR) based on the program, the program average and the standard deviation. A program like mine offers a lower UPR than a program like actuarial (for example) because it is considered "easier". Is this really the case? Is it the same at UdeS and UdeM?

Yes, this is how they compute this sore at all 3 francophone university in quebec.

To give you an idea, I have 8/10 in biomedical science (considered a 'harder' program) at uottawa and it is not high enough to get in. UdeS computed a CRU (Cote de rendement universitaire) of 27, UdeM 29-30 and UL 31. You need at least 34 I think to get an interview.

McGill doesn't look much at what undergrad you were in, but still you would be on the low end for the GPA. Mine is converted to 3.6 in their scale and in the past 3 years they rejected my application even with a very strong CV (ranked top 1% last year). 

For francophone med school in quebec your GPA always counts even if you were to complete another undergrad, but for Mcgill and Ottawa if you do a second undergrad with better GPA they would only look at the last completed degree. 

In summary, if you really want to get in, I think you need to do a second undergrad

No invite, 8/10 is not high enough anymore...

They convert the 8/10 into a CRU, last time I applied (in 2016) UdeS gave me 27, UdeM 30 (but two years later it dropped to 29, with the exact same GPA, so it actually decreases with time as new cohorts of students have higher and higher average GPA and they compare my GPA with theirs, not that of the student who were there when I graduated in 2014), UL follows their Table d'Étalon and gave me something like 30-31