Premed 101 Forums

How many spots for QC University this year?

giraffe3

Does anyone know how many spots there will be this year (2020) for "IP" or QC University?

It seems like last year there were 84 spots + 3 for NTP totalling 87. I heard that the reason there were so many was because a number of Med-Ps dropped or were simply not promoted.

This year there is also the RSPP pathway, does anyone know how many spots this group has? 

This link states that the anticipated number of spots for Fall 2020 is approximately 76: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u

However there is the new Campus Outaouais this year with 24 spots (I believe the majority of which are going to the Med-P category), however this link states that the student body will total 96 undergraduates (does anyone know who they are referring to here?): https://www.mcgill.ca/ugme/mdcm-curriculum-joint-programs/our-two-campuses/campus-outaouais/welcome

43 minutes ago, giraffe3 said:

Does anyone know how many spots there will be this year (2020) for "IP" or QC University.

It seems like last year there were 84 spots + 3 for NTP totalling 87. I heard that the reason there were so many was because a number of Med-Ps dropped or were simply not promoted.

This year there is also the RSPP pathway, does anyone know how many spots this group has? 

This link states that the anticipated number of spots for Fall 2020 is approximately 76: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u

However there is the new Campus Outaouais this year with 24 spots (I believe the majority of which are going to the Med-P category), however this link states that the student body will total 96 undergraduates (does anyone know who they are referring to here?): https://www.mcgill.ca/ugme/mdcm-curriculum-joint-programs/our-two-campuses/campus-outaouais/welcome

96 in 4 years (24*4). Not quite sure how many students will be admitted this year, and not sure if the 24 students in Outaouais are included in the 76.

15 hours ago, Sephirof said:

Do you think the fact that they invited less people than previous years (225) will lead to less IP spots ? 

The tentative number for IP Qc Uni entry is 76. Every year, ~180-183 MDCM spots were available which includes 2nd year MedP + NTP + INTL + Qc Uni + OoP + OMFS + MDCM/PhD. Overall this means that if no changes occur in the other categories, we will likely see similar numbers. Right now, the estimated numbers are -8 compared to last year. Generally, we see about a 1 spot for 3 interviewees in the IP Qc Uni category. 76 x 3 = 228. Seems in line with previous years if that is their calculation. They do not add deferrals into these initials numbers though and each university has a set amount of seats available (to my understanding). We will obviously see less IP Uni spots for sure but this was expected way earlier. 

It just happens that this year, we saw more open criteria due to the prereq expiry condition being removed. NTPs can now potentially apply to Qc Uni and previously individuals needing to redo prereq courses that were obsolete can now apply. This year had much more competition for each interview spot due to low number of invites and higher number of applicants compared to last year. 

Seems to be in line with other years overall.

10 hours ago, amt6500 said:

The tentative number for IP Qc Uni entry is 76. Every year, ~180-183 MDCM spots were available which includes 2nd year MedP + NTP + INTL + Qc Uni + OoP + OMFS + MDCM/PhD. Overall this means that if no changes occur in the other categories, we will likely see similar numbers. Right now, the estimated numbers are -8 compared to last year. Generally, we see about a 1 spot for 3 interviewees in the IP Qc Uni category. 76 x 3 = 228. Seems in line with previous years if that is their calculation. They do not add deferrals into these initials numbers though and each university has a set amount of seats available (to my understanding). We will obviously see less IP Uni spots for sure but this was expected way earlier. 

It just happens that this year, we saw more open criteria due to the prereq expiry condition being removed. NTPs can now potentially apply to Qc Uni and previously individuals needing to redo prereq courses that were obsolete can now apply. This year had much more competition for each interview spot due to low number of invites and higher number of applicants compared to last year. 

Seems to be in line with other years overall.

Thank you very much for your explication ! 

Thanks @amt6500 for the details. Just out of curiousity does that mean that the new campus hasn't actually added more spots, but there will be just a smaller cohort at the Montreal campus?

Also, do you know if the approximate number of 76 for QC University would include the 2 to 5 seats for the RSPPers? (See link: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/rural-and-small-populations-pathway-rspp)

I think it's safe to assume yes, so technically there are approximately 71-74 seats for QC University applicants who are not part of the RSPP group?

7 hours ago, giraffe3 said:

Thanks @amt6500 for the details. Just out of curiousity does that mean that the new campus hasn't actually added more spots, but there will be just a smaller cohort at the Montreal campus?

Also, do you know if the approximate number of 76 for QC University would include the 2 to 5 seats for the RSPPers? (See link: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/rural-and-small-populations-pathway-rspp)

I think it's safe to assume yes, so technically there are approximately 71-74 seats for QC University applicants who are not part of the RSPP group?

From what I understand the new campus will split the current amount of MedP applicants into 2 groups. One in gatineau with something like 20 ish seats and the rest remain in montreal. Not 100% sure, hard to check right now though.

FYI all my info is from the admission website, nothing secret really.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, amt6500 said:

From what I understand the new campus will split the current amount of MedP applicants into 2 groups. One in gatineau with something like 20 ish seats and the rest remain in montreal. Not 100% sure, hard to check right now though.

FYI all my info is from the admission website, nothing secret really.

I do remember reading that something like 12-20 of the 24 spots in Gatineau will go to Med-P but that 4 to 12 QC University students will join them and it won't strictly be Med-P. I guess this is again within the approximate number of 76?