Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/Regrets 2020

Time Stamp: 12:36
Stream: English/MD

MCAT: 130/126/129/128 - 513 (CARS is probably the issue lol)
2yr GPA: 3.98
Current year: Graduated BSc 2019

EC: Pretty diverse with some long term leadership positions (good enough for Ottawa!!!) 

Knew it was a long shot with that CARS. Congrats to everyone who got interviews!!

Time Stamp: 12:37

MCAT: 130/126/132/130 - 518
GPA: 3.98
Current year: current MSc student, graduated BSc in 2018.

EC: Generally diverse, with strong research background and volunteering in both healthcare and community settings.

This comes as a shock, as last year I got an interview and was wait-listed for a spot in the class of 2023 at Queen's.

26 minutes ago, Animo said:

EC: Generally diverse, with strong research background (2 first-authored papers, 1 first-authored book chapter, 4 co-authored papers) and volunteering in both healthcare and community settings.

This comes as a shock, as last year I got an interview and was wait-listed for a spot in the class of 2023 at Queen's. The subjectivity and apparent randomness of this process never ceases to amaze me.

This is very surprising and amazing stats, I have no idea how you didn't get an invite.

Time Stamp: 03/02/2020 - 12:17PM
Stream: MD

MCAT: 125/127/127/127 (506)
cGPA: 3.6
Current year: 4th year
ECs: Clinical research, various poster presentations at conferences, varsity and national team athletics, various volunteering endeavors, various sports related national awards

There is hope for us with low MCAT and GPAs! :)

43 minutes ago, Animo said:

EC: Generally diverse, with strong research background (2 first-authored papers, 1 first-authored book chapter, 4 co-authored papers) and volunteering in both healthcare and community settings.

This comes as a shock, as last year I got an interview and was wait-listed for a spot in the class of 2023 at Queen's. The subjectivity and apparent randomness of this process never ceases to amaze me.

Looks like their CARS cutoff is 127 now... :( 

12 minutes ago, mdplsacceptme said:

Looks like their CARS cutoff is 127 now... :( 

Wouldn’t say that based just off on what’s here. Queens, like every other school, has their own way of marking applications. Just gotta make sure that every part of the application is super strong. Can’t say more than that.

Time Stamp: Around noon
Stream: English, MD

MCAT: 512 (128/127/129/128)
cGPA/2yr GPA: 4.00
Current year: UG complete (gap)
ECs: Should be what they're looking for. Multiple publications (one a first author), international presentations + conferences, scholarships + awards >$50,000, unique and long-term volunteering, unique hobbies, some employment

Time: 12:36

MCAT: 127/128/129/129 (513)

GPA: 3.79 (wGPA 3.9+) 

Year: Graduated 2017

Ecs: extensive with healthcare employment in a variety of care settings (medicine, oncology, surgical, emergency, rehab, home care, public health harm reduction + school health), worked throughout undergrad, small amount of tutoring younger-year students through my faculty while in university, some research (no publications), volunteering with children and patients in high school and undergrad (1000s of hours), interesting extracurriculars (soccer, barbering, automobile club). Nearly all commitments are long-term (spanning many years) with at least a few hundred hours.

Shame since the most improved part of my application was the way I did my sketch. It was seriously overhauled from previous years to incorporate those canmeds criteria.

Time: noon 

MCAT: 516(128 Cars)

GPA: 3.86 

Year: Graduated 2018, currently working (4th time applying, 2nd time interviewing!)

Ecs:1+ year medical office assistant, 3+ years cancer research with two pending pubs, VP for 2 university clubs, 2 personal start-up businesses, average awards (just undergraduate academic awards), multiple academic tutor/mentor experiences

Time Stamp: 19/12/2019 - 8:23 PM (I think MD/PhD runs on a different timeline)
Stream: MD/PhD

MCAT: 524 (131/132/131/130)
cGPA/2yr GPA: 3.96 (cGPA)
Current year: 2nd year Masters
ECs: very research heavy, includes NSERC CGS M, a couple of second author pubs, and 1 conference presentation