Premed 101 Forums

2020 UCalgary Interview Invites/Regrets

TIME STAMP: 13:08 PST
Interview Date: TBD
Result: Invite :)
wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 524, 132 CARS
ECs: Pretty diverse I think: Several years of work experience in various non-profits, working in a couple different marginalized communities; Some research, but no publications; some challenging personal circumstances; over a decade of public speaking/advocacy/education work; running a youth group; a few hobbies thrown in for good measure!
Year: BA - Nov, 2018
Geography : OOP  

TIME STAMP: 2:56pm MST
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 127 CARS, 512 total 
ECs: Undergraduate research, publication/ multiple conference presentations, arts, long term work/ volunteering at a NPO, tutoring, TA/ teaching other classes, student mentorship 
Geography : IP 

TIME STAMP: 4:13 pm

Results: Regrets

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 126 CARS

ECS: consistent work since high school, long term volunteer positions (now the coordinator), volunteering with CBS, founding a club on campus, student council president, humanitarian trip to Africa, helping with familial health problems, laboratory experience, international exchange, plenty of conferences/awards, hobbies, organization and coordination of campus wide events...I thought these were pretty solid

Year: Last year undergrad

Geography: IP

Congrats to everyone who got an invite! I'm feeling kind of bummed at the moment, but I have a UBC interview this weekend so I won't let this get me down!!

TIME STAMP: 3:13PM
Result: Regrets 
GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 126 CARS 
ECs:  I’d like to think they are strong but beginning to think otherwise after getting rejected from UBC as well (Although OOP for UBC). Interestingly I got an interview to UofC a couple years ago with a 123 CARS and scored 90th percentile in most categories. I increased my CARS to 126 and I ended up not getting an interview despite my EC’s being pretty similar + some more ...
Year: Finished UG in 2016

TIME STAMP:
wGPA: 3.82
MCAT: 124 CARS (there is hope!!!)
ECs: lots of leadership, medical research, unique experiences like working for a broadcasting channel, reflected on personal life experiences like immigration
Year: Completed undergrad
Geography : IP  (but living in ON, if anyone wants to practice for the MMI here)

TIME STAMP: 4:08 PM
Result: Invite!!!!!
wGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 129 CARS 
ECs: sports, 1 publication, lots of TA positions, long term volunteering, several customer service/office jobs, etc. Nothing too exciting. Included several personal stories, though.
Year: Master's

18 minutes ago, dooogs said:

Congrats to everybody! Regardless of regrets of invites, we all put in a lot of work for this.

Does anybody know how many offers are sent after the interview? what are OOP chances post-interview?

Based on stats from prior years, perhaps around 200-250. Don't know the numbers for OOP, but I imagine they receive more offers because these are highly competitive applicants and tend to have multiple schools to choose from. 

32 minutes ago, dooogs said:

Congrats to everybody! Regardless of regrets of invites, we all put in a lot of work for this.

Does anybody know how many offers are sent after the interview? what are OOP chances post-interview?

This is from their admissions blog.

85% of the 150 seats are reserved for IP applicants so the rest are for OOP. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 10.39.47 AM.png

TIME STAMP: 2:33 PM Jan 29
wGPA: 3.79
MCAT: 129 CARS, 519 MCAT
ECs: continuous sport involvement (1 at a provincial level), 3 international abstract publications/presentations (2 American heart association, 1 SCMR), 2 summer soccer coaching volunteering (U18 and U8 teams), lifeguarding, several academic/research scholarships, a little research tutoring, 2 lead authorship manuscripts in progress
Year: Finished BSc

2 hours ago, dooogs said:

If you look on the u of c med blog they posted the number of offers sent out for both IP and OOP :) 

TIME STAMP: 1:08 PM PST Jan 29
wGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 130 CARS
ECs: Varsity sports, some research (no pubs, some presentations), a lot of volunteer coaching, part time and summer jobs, autism support volunteer
Year: Graduated BSc 2019

Super stoked and beyond grateful for the opportunity!!

TIME STAMP: Jan 29, afternoon
Interview Date: N/A
wGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 127 CARS:  518 total
ECs: I thought good, but I guess not what they are looking for.  Some overseas volunteering; some teaching; volunteering at a variety of non-profits (I wanted to get a feel for many, but Uof C seems to want long term?); minimal research with one paper, one poster and one presentation, exec. position on pre-med club. Some other misc. interesting experiences.   
Year: Graduated 2019

TIME STAMP: Jan 29 sometime
Interview Date: N/A
wGPA: 3.96 I think?
MCAT: 130 CARS
ECs: They were pretty standard - research, volunteering, some employment in hospital. I put in some quirky hobbies but I guess combined with everything the EC's just didn't cut it.
Year: 4th year

Good luck to all with interviews!!

GPA: 3.3... in engineering, give me a break
MCAT: 125 CARS
ECs: 30y/o non traditional applicant. spoke to personal experiences that led me to where I am today, played and coached at the national level, professional engineer with 8 years experience living in a rural community,  internal corporate awards, long standing volunteer in multiple organizations, a smidge of research
Year: BSc. Eng, MBA

"For those that were not fortunate enough to receive an interview, I would like to emphasize what I said in my letter and stress that this is really a reflection of the basic math inherent in a process that involves far more qualified candidates than there are positions.  While the file review is not without merit, and a certain amount of rigour, there is also some chance involved.  I would strongly encourage you to view this as an outcome of having been unlucky, not one of having been unworthy."  02/05/2019 Dr Ian Walker

wGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 127 CARS
ECs: Minimal Volunteering, no research but have held various leadership positions in D1 NCAA Sports.
Year: Graduate with BSc and Masters

Second time applying. Missed the cutoff last year by 2 percentiles and only improved my application (I thought) so a bit disappointed by no interview but subjectiveness certainly plays a big role in how your application is viewed. I will be applying again next year.

• 8 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:28 PM, coffeeandmed said:

TIME STAMP: 4:13 pm

Results: Regrets

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 126 CARS

ECS: consistent work since high school, long term volunteer positions (now the coordinator), volunteering with CBS, founding a club on campus, student council president, humanitarian trip to Africa, helping with familial health problems, laboratory experience, international exchange, plenty of conferences/awards, hobbies, organization and coordination of campus wide events...I thought these were pretty solid

Year: Last year undergrad

Geography: IP

Congrats to everyone who got an invite! I'm feeling kind of bummed at the moment, but I have a UBC interview this weekend so I won't let this get me down!!

/