Premed 101 Forums

UofA DDS 2024 - Interview Invites/Rejections

I felt the stations were alright in general,  since I thought some of the prompts would be way more lengthy.

Also this might be an inane question, but  I am wondering at what stage does UofA perform GPA calculations  for placement? At the time of submitting the application or after the interview stage? (ie: I applied at summer of 2019 between my 3rd and 4th year, and I finish my 4th year April 2020, does UofA look at grades up until my 3rd year or 4th year? )

8 hours ago, Rdeswafles said:

I felt the stations were alright in general,  since I thought some of the prompts would be way more lengthy.

Also this might be an inane question, but  I am wondering at what stage does UofA perform GPA calculations  for placement? At the time of submitting the application or after the interview stage? (ie: I applied at summer of 2019 between my 3rd and 4th year, and I finish my 4th year April 2020, does UofA look at grades up until my 3rd year or 4th year? )

Pretty sure they look at your 4th year as well, since their website states they can't drop your most recent fall/winter from the OGPA calculation. 

2 minutes ago, 1234wdym said:

Pretty sure they look at your 4th year as well, since their website states they can't drop your most recent fall/winter from the OGPA calculation. 

To my understanding if you have completed 4 years they drop your lowest GPA year, however your most recent year of full load must be considered. So if you are in a full load for your fourth year it will be considered, if it is not full load and is your lowest GPA year then it will be dropped. 

3 hours ago, 1234wdym said:

My point of confusion is that for OOP students, they mail in their transcripts at the time of application only (?), and not after the interviews.

So for an OOP student who applied during the summer/fall of 2019 and is due to graduate in Winter 2020, the faculty should only receive their transcript up to the grades of Winter 2019 for the class of 2024.

In order for that student to have all 4 years considered, they must apply again at the summer/fall of 2020 for the class of 2025...?

I'm not sure if I am making any sense here lol...

9 hours ago, Rdeswafles said:

My point of confusion is that for OOP students, they mail in their transcripts at the time of application only (?), and not after the interviews.

So for an OOP student who applied during the summer/fall of 2019 and is due to graduate in Winter 2020, the faculty should only receive their transcript up to the grades of Winter 2019 for the class of 2024.

In order for that student to have all 4 years considered, they must apply again at the summer/fall of 2020 for the class of 2025...?

maybe email dds adms and ask them?

11 hours ago, Rdeswafles said:

Your final transcripts including winter 2020 final marks must also be sent to the university by June 15th.  Because acceptances are sent out May-July then I assume this means your winter 2020 marks are factored into your gpa.  

5 hours ago, Lollipop said:

Hi guys. If you are a u of a student, what do you think of the new grading system of this winter sem? All our courses will be credit or non-credit and no letter grade. How do you think this will impact dental admissions to u of a and other dental school? 

I emailed earlier about how this will impact our admissions and they informed me that should any changes be required, they will inform all applicants. 

25 minutes ago, DentalDream123 said:

Has anybody emailed to ask for their interview score? Would there be any penalty for us emailing to obtain the score? I am apprehensive to email them, but would love to know!

I don't believe there would be any kind of penalty! They said in the Q&A after the interview that it was the only way to receive your score. I emailed at 8:00am this morning and got my score back around 11:00am! 

1 hour ago, DentalDream123 said:

Has anybody emailed to ask for their interview score? Would there be any penalty for us emailing to obtain the score? I am apprehensive to email them, but would love to know!

There is no penalty for asking! You should so you know how you did compared to what you thought. Then hopefully people will start posting on here and you can get an idea of where you stand! Post everyone, post!

13 hours ago, Rdeswafles said:

For those who asked, how did everyone do on the interview? I got 26 D:. walked out thinking I did quite well too... (4th year IP, GPA 3.99, DAT 69).

Admissions usually implements a minimum interview score cut-off for qualified applicants.

I remember one year it was 28, but it could be higher this year...

On 3/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, yycpredent said:

My stats are:

GPA: 3.91, completed BSc

DAT: 68 (RC: 21, PAT: 24, MDT: 23)

Interview: 36

Any idea what the average interview score was in your year of acceptance? 

Typically scores are 31+, but it is not impossible to get in with a lower mark (28/29) if your other stats are really good. Only a small about of people get above 40, so 31-40 is your typical goal range. 

On 3/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, Lollipop said:

Hi guys. If you are a u of a student, what do you think of the new grading system of this winter sem? All our courses will be credit or non-credit and no letter grade. How do you think this will impact dental admissions to u of a and other dental school? 

My university just announced that we will be able to choose between a letter grade and credit/no credit for each course. I emailed admissions to ask how opting for credit would impact GPA calculations and they said they do not have any information at the time, and they are anticipating to have this information any time after early May. Very stressed because in my situation we will have to decide between credit & letter grade long before early May. 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:52 PM, amaso said:

My university just announced that we will be able to choose between a letter grade and credit/no credit for each course. I emailed admissions to ask how opting for credit would impact GPA calculations and they said they do not have any information at the time, and they are anticipating to have this information any time after early May. Very stressed because in my situation we will have to decide between credit & letter grade long before early May. 

I think if you choose  CR/NC option you shouldn’t be put at a disadvantage seeing as the u of a is only offering that option. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...