Premed 101 Forums

U Alberta 2020 Invites/Regrets

46 minutes ago, CARsandCoffee said:

Congratulations to everyone who got an interview! Quick question for anyone else who may have ran into this mistake in past... I have a conflict of interview dates with UofA and UofC but did not see the conflict of interest email until checking my Ualberta email tonight :(

Are all of the UofA interview dates on March.14th or have you guys receive other potential dates?

I was hoping to switch to the 14th from my interview on the 15th and mentioned it to them when accepting my interview invite!

Result: Regret
GPA: 3.72
MCAT: 507
Current Degree: BScN 2016
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): critical care nursing experience (ongoing), other medical/non medical employment history, major volunteer role with an agency serving vulnerable populations, Involved in various community initiatives/active committees, volunteer with a child protection center, only left one entry blank. My ECs are all things I’m very passionate about and spend quite a bit of time with. I had additional leadership entries from roles at work, volunteering, etc. Included a few hobbies that I love as well. I thought my ECs were strong but I guess I’ll find out at the end of March :P 
CASPer: First time doing it, felt rushed but not too bad. Kind of hard to tell how it went, as I blinked and it was over. 

I’m disappointed to have not received an invite, as the UofA is my top choice. However, this year just isn’t my time and that’s okay :) I’m going to reflect on this application cycle and reevaluate how I could approach next year. I’m also going to rewrite the MCAT to see if I can make my score a bit more competitive. Congrats to everyone who got invites this year and best of luck in your interviews! 

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.57

MCAT: 502 (CPBS 125, CARS 125, BBFL 126, PSBB 126)

Current Degree: Open studies at UofC to upgrade my GPA. I have a BSc (Honours Chemistry), and MSc (Organic Chemistry).

Geography (IP/OOP): IP

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): This is a long list as I am an older applicant (29 years old). Awards include scholarships, awards for oral presentations at conferences, and athletic awards. Achievements include degrees, publications, and a promotion in a professional setting. Volunteering includes in-hospital and community-based volunteering. Employment includes teaching assistant (as a grad student), and work in the pharmaceutical industry. Research includes my BSc and MSc research and 4 publications. 

CASPer: I felt that it went very well. I did not prepare other than searching online and asking people that have taken it before. I was open and honest with my answers and focused on what was important for each scenario (for example a patient).