Premed 101 Forums

What is Western's post-interview selection formula?

4 minutes ago, anonymouspls said:

Not known but it's most likely a combination of Interview / GPA / MCAT, with Interview playing the biggest role. It's different if you're SWOMEN where you have basically a 4/5 chance of being accepted or high waitlisted if you received an interview. 

@anonymouspls Do you mind if I ask where you're getting that from? I'm non-SWOMEN, so do you know what my approximate post-interview odds would be? Thanks!

4 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

The stat you are looking at (I know which PDF it is because I obsessed over this stuff lat year) is only for straight acceptances, not high waitlisted people and people who get in from the normal waitlist.

I used both the AFMC's and Western's data, which accounts for wait listing and/or over-offering (whichever they do).

1 hour ago, DispIay Name said:

I used both the AFMC's and Western's data, which accounts for wait listing and/or over-offering (whichever they do).

Looking at the Deans report for example for 2017, 120 SWOMEN were invited for an interview , of which 72 were accepted pre-waitlist. 

If we extrapolate the normal waitlist movement of Western to SWOMEN applicants, wherein about half of the waitlist historically clears, we cold roughly say that of the 48 that were not accepted about 24 will be accepted after the waitlist clears. This is likely a conservative estimate because I would guess SWOMEN have a greater advantage for coming off the waitlist as well due to their higher file scores on average (SWOMEN advantage is a huge boost to your file score) 

So we have 72 + 24 = 96 out of 120 being offered an acceptance eventually to Western, which is 80% or 4/5. 

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/DeansReport-2017_web.pdf

On 1/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, anonymouspls said:

Non-SWOMEN odds are approximately 45% either acceptance or getting in off the high/normal waitlist. 

How is the chance 45% as a non-SWOMEN?

In 2018, 99 students were non-SWOMEN, 72 were SWOMEN, making up the total 171 students.

117 SWOMEN were interviewed out of the 485 people which means as a SWOMEN,  your chance of getting a direct admission is 72-75/117 = ~65%

As a non-SWOMEN, it is 99/368, which is ~27%. 

Correct me if I am wrong

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/DeansReport-2018_FINAL_WebPage.pdf 

9 minutes ago, anonymouspanda said:

In 2018, 99 students were non-SWOMEN, 72 were SWOMEN, making up the total 171 students.

117 SWOMEN were interviewed out of the 485 people which means as a SWOMEN,  your chance of getting a direct admission is 72-75/117 = ~65%

Correct me if I am wrong

Your math seems to check out (unfortunately!). Man, this is really disheartening.

1 hour ago, FBCforreal said:

pretty sure this aint it, because significantly more offers are given out than seats by each school (because people get multiple offers)

True - with more offers that positions (to take into considerations the very common case of multiple offers for the lucky ones ha) the odds are higher than a straight 27%

I suppose as well that math assumes (unless my late night brain is foggy) that every one that is SWOMEN immediately gets an offer. That isn't true as some are pulled off of the waitlist as well.  By direct admission do you mean not off of the waitlist etc? 

The odds are definitely higher than 27%. Usually with the various waitlist pulls etc you end up with something ~40%ish give or take. 

A lot of this math can also be a bit well dangerous ha - having the odds being 10 or 90% really shouldn't change your approach I suppose if you are coldly logical. Bottom line with an interview in hand you have pretty good chances, and it is time to get to work on interview prep :) 

3 hours ago, anonymouspanda said:

Correct me if I am wrong

Your chances of getting accepted eventually are in the 40's as a non-SWOMEN and the 80's as a SWOMEN, I worked out the math for SWOMEN above you can check it out. This is for getting accepted, including waitlist movements.

Like the user above said the biggest moderator on your individual odds is your degree of preparation, based on that you can increase your odds substantially. For my Interviews last year I prepped for like 100-150 hours, so basically what I'm trying to say is get to work. 

In our year there are quite a few SWOMEN who wanted London campus but were offered Windsor instead, and of course there were SWOMEN that didn't get in. So it's not like you're doomed if you're non-SWOMEN. Me and most of my friends were offered straight admission to London campus, most of us being non-SWOMEN. 

8 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

Your chances of getting accepted eventually are in the 40's as a non-SWOMEN and the 80's as a SWOMEN, I worked out the math for SWOMEN above you can check it out. This is for getting accepted, including waitlist movements.

Like the user above said the biggest moderator on your individual odds is your degree of preparation, based on that you can increase your odds substantially. For my Interviews last year I prepped for like 100-150 hours, so basically what I'm trying to say is get to work. 

In our year there are quite a few SWOMEN who wanted London campus but were offered Windsor instead, and of course there were SWOMEN that didn't get in. So it's not like you're doomed if you're non-SWOMEN. Me and most of my friends were offered straight admission to London campus, most of us being non-SWOMEN. 

Any advice on interview prep?

9 hours ago, conbrio said:

Any advice on interview prep?

know canmeds, read doing right and know the basic principles, have examples memorized and ready for common questions and canmeds from your EC's. There was a document flowing around somewhere last year that had like 300-400 MMI and panel type questions, which basically has all the questions you're going to be possibly asked. Western doesn't really look to surprise with the interview.

18 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

know canmeds, read doing right and know the basic principles, have examples memorized and ready for common questions and canmeds from your EC's. There was a document flowing around somewhere last year that had like 300-400 MMI and panel type questions, which basically has all the questions you're going to be possibly asked. Western doesn't really look to surprise with the interview.

Does anyone know where this document is :)

• 8 months later...
On 1/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, anonymouspls said:

Looking at the Deans report for example for 2017, 120 SWOMEN were invited for an interview , of which 72 were accepted pre-waitlist. 

If we extrapolate the normal waitlist movement of Western to SWOMEN applicants, wherein about half of the waitlist historically clears, we cold roughly say that of the 48 that were not accepted about 24 will be accepted after the waitlist clears. This is likely a conservative estimate because I would guess SWOMEN have a greater advantage for coming off the waitlist as well due to their higher file scores on average (SWOMEN advantage is a huge boost to your file score) 

So we have 72 + 24 = 96 out of 120 being offered an acceptance eventually to Western, which is 80% or 4/5. 

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/DeansReport-2017_web.pdf

Sorry to bump this but I wonder if this is correct?

I believe their phrasing "offered acceptance" includes people that were offered acceptance off of the wait list.

For those curious, the 2019 Dean's Report showed that 102 SWOMEN were interviewed, and 62 were offered acceptance (and 62 accepted), giving odds around ~ 60%. In prior years it was closer to 65%.