Premed 101 Forums

5 hours ago, pyridoxal-phosphate said:

Hey congrats on finishing! 

There will be people who thought it went well, super badly, everywhere in between. Yet i'm sure people in each category have gotten in. This is cliche and probably not helpful but it's very hard to predict how you actually did. Not to generalize, but I think many in this applicant pool would share your sentiments. 

For what it's worth I thought I did absolutely terribly last year and was convinced for all 3 months of waiting that I would receive a rejection with below average interview. I remember at the post interview presentation I didn't even eat any of the snacks or pizza because I was so disappointed in myself lol. Funny enough I did end up getting in, although not sure how I scored in the interview (but i'm guessing it went better than I thought?). 

Be proud of yourself for putting yourself out there, it's not easy. Easier said than done but if you have other interviews coming up, use this as motivation to continue preparing. If not, try to enjoy yourself and find meaning in things outside of medical school admissions. I really liked reading the book "Man's search for meaning" during the post interview wait. 

All the best :)

Were you applying with an above average or way above average gpa or mcat?

On 2/2/2020 at 1:10 PM, pyridoxal-phosphate said:

Hey congrats on finishing! 

There will be people who thought it went well, super badly, everywhere in between. Yet i'm sure people in each category have gotten in. This is cliche and probably not helpful but it's very hard to predict how you actually did. Not to generalize, but I think many in this applicant pool would share your sentiments. 

For what it's worth I thought I did absolutely terribly last year and was convinced for all 3 months of waiting that I would receive a rejection with below average interview. I remember at the post interview presentation I didn't even eat any of the snacks or pizza because I was so disappointed in myself lol. Funny enough I did end up getting in, although not sure how I scored in the interview (but i'm guessing it went better than I thought?). 

Be proud of yourself for putting yourself out there, it's not easy. Easier said than done but if you have other interviews coming up, use this as motivation to continue preparing. If not, try to enjoy yourself and find meaning in things outside of medical school admissions. I really liked reading the book "Man's search for meaning" during the post interview wait. 

All the best :)

I too felt my interviews went poorly — definitely made some mistakes that were so, so avoidable. To top it all off, I think I'm already in the bottom half of applicants (pre-interview) — pretty much everyone else I talked to at the interview was doing interviews for multiple schools across Canada (and the US), with me just sitting at only getting an interview in BC. :(

I definitely prepared for the interviews but in the moment it felt largely useless.

I also interviewed this weekend. The style of questions weren't exactly what I was expecting, but I'm feeling pretty good about the experience overall. I don't know if I'll have any more interviews this round (I hope so!! Still waiting to hear from two schools) but I am incredibly grateful for the experience. I'm so proud of everyone that was invited to interview this weekend. This in itself is a huge accomplishment!

Good luck to everyone!

First off, so grateful for the experience. Although the questions were different than I had anticipated, I felt good coming out and felt bad only about one station where I misunderstood the prompt. Having said that, the more I think about it, the more I question the answers I provided and ultimately I think it’s best just to forget it until May as we have done all that we can. 

I have a friend who interviewed twice and her first year she thought she killed the interview and yet got rejected, her second year she thought the interview did not go well and yet she got in- so it is hard to say. 

Congratulations to everyone who interviewed, it was so nice meeting everyone. 

1 hour ago, pooper said:

My impressions feel like going down a rollercoaster. I ended the interview on a high because it was done, and I felt like it went sorta okay. But as I continue thinking about it, I start feeling worse and worse about everything. 

We just need to let go!!!

The exact roller coaster I am also on, lol. This is going to be a tough 3 months.

The interview was so depressing. I have had multiple MMIs in the past 3 years and this interview has to be the worst. I almost didnt finish it and spent the rest of the day locked in my bedroom ruminating over my performance. It seems all my practice was for nothing.

4 stations went well, and 2 I dont know. 2 others were bad in the sense that I blanked out on basic followup questions and just sat there for 10-15 seconds trying to come up with answers.

1 station was just terrible. I sat in the room thinking of an answer and the interviewer had to push me to talk after like 30 seconds and I dont think I answered any of the interviewers questions well. When the bell rang, the interviewer hurriedly said thank you for your time and I bolted from the room.

I've never had these kind of mental blocks before. I felt so dumb and pretty sure half of my interviews even questioned why I was there in the first place. My confidence has definitely taken a hit because of this interview.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience - shout out to the UBC Med students and staff who helped create an organized and welcoming environment. It was fun getting a chance to chat and meet some of the diverse interviewees. Also, anecdotally, speaking to a few people that have interviewed elsewhere, they said that UBC was one of the more pleasant MMI circuits they've done. (Also, how gorgeous is that life sciences center? Yeesh!)

I spent some time meditating/exercising that morning, and walked into it feeling oddly calm, which was nice (I'm hoping I was able to relay at least a little of that to the other folks I chatted with before we started). As far as how the MMI went; it was pretty much as expected. I'm the type of person that enjoys chatting and engaging with new people, so if anything, the MMI felt like an exercise in that. I found it helpful to walk into each new station with an attitude of, "Cool, that was fun, let's do this" - It takes the pressure off, if you take it a little less seriously, IMO.

By the end, I think we were all exhausted - but it's my understanding that it's to be expected, so I'm not too concerned about that dragging down my performance.

Overall, felt good about it! I'm on the lower end of the MCAT and GPA stream, so we'll see what happens, but I wish everyone luck, regardless :)

This was my 4th and last try interviewing at UBC Med,  found it to be very similar to all previous interviews at UBC, questions were all very interesting and thought provoking. I also really enjoyed the new writing station format change !

As to how I did, I have no idea (LOL), previous years where I thought I did really well or really poorly all resulted in below average interviews, so it's really hard to say.

Fingers crossed for May 2020 for some good news :D