Premed 101 Forums

Hope for a low MCAT?

Good morning!

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about how the MCAT plays into the UBC admission process. I was invited to interview this cycle. I have a 4.0 GPA, relatively strong ECs, but less than stellar MCAT. I still met all of the cutoffs for UBC. Does anyone have any insight about the range of MCATs being admitted each year?

TIA

It is all speculation of course, but it seems the MCAT is assessed competitively post interview based on this forum and stats that are posted. There are a few individuals who posted last year that had great grades, high total score for non academics, and above average interviews that were rejected. Both of the people I saw that fit this description had below average MCATs (less than 505). Could have been poor references or been red flagged, but it's likely their MCAT resulted in them being rejected. People definitely get in with lower scores, and there may be more leniency with rural and remote applicants, but MCAT scores do seem relatively important. Again, this is all my guess and I could very well be wrong. Don't give up hope either way, anyone who was offered an interview has a shot!