Premed 101 Forums

5th year for GPA or Masters?

Hey guys! My GPA for each year is:

Year 1: 3.22

Year 2: 3.62 (First semester = 3.26, Second semester = 3.98 (AKA When I pulled my shit together from personal problem)

Year 3: 3.94

Year 4: Haven't started but I know I will get at least 3.96-3.98

I'm going to take the MCAT this summer and I know I will do great. I wanted to get your opinion on:

Whether I should do a 5th year so my 4th year grades get considered or a masters? 

Edit: I forgot to mention my ECs: 

- Running a group of volunteers where we take food that's about to be thrown out, cook it and donate it to a woman's shelter.

- Volunteers/perform laser therapy on patients

- 200 hours+/3-4 years of continuous hospital volunteering in physiotherapy/occupational therapy --> lots of patient interaction

- Administrative/Finance Executive of Diabetes club at Uni

- Small volunteer jobs here and there involving medicine/or not

1 hour ago, Rziae said:

Hey guys! My GPA for each year is:

Year 1: 3.22

Year 2: 3.62 (First semester = 3.26, Second semester = 3.98 (AKA When I pulled my shit together from personal problem)

Year 3: 3.94

Year 4: Haven't started but I know I will get at least 3.96-3.98

I'm going to take the MCAT this summer and I know I will do great. I wanted to get your opinion on:

Whether I should do a 5th year so my 4th year grades get considered or a masters? 

Edit: I forgot to mention my ECs: 

- Running a group of volunteers where we take food that's about to be thrown out, cook it and donate it to a woman's shelter.

- Volunteers/perform laser therapy on patients

- 200 hours+/3-4 years of continuous hospital volunteering in physiotherapy/occupational therapy --> lots of patient interaction

- Administrative/Finance Executive of Diabetes club at Uni

- Small volunteer jobs here and there involving medicine/or not

well I mean first great job on pulling things up!

I am usually of the believe that the only way to really correct issues with UG grades is directly with more UG courses as well. Plus a master commits you to 2 years automatically. 

Can we get some more details? Does the u of t wGPA policy apply (considering a few courses are probably messing you up)? Do all of those years work with Western's policies - so the two year policy apply? 

One more year and Ottawa would likely be on board.

Obviously the MCAT results are going to be important for the overall plan :)

49 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

well I mean first great job on pulling things up!

I am usually of the believe that the only way to really correct issues with UG grades is directly with more UG courses as well. Plus a master commits you to 2 years automatically. 

Can we get some more details? Does the u of t wGPA policy apply (considering a few courses are probably messing you up)? Do all of those years work with Western's policies - so the two year policy apply? 

One more year and Ottawa would likely be on board.

Obviously the MCAT results are going to be important for the overall plan :)

Thank you! Yeah definitely, I agree.

I think UofT is out of the question since, their GPA averages are almost a 4.0. Their wGPA is calculated so that 4 of the lowest grade courses are remove during the calculation. Considering my multiple course messups (mostly in first year and second), I dont think I can come close to a good enough wGPA.

Yeah I was thinking of applying to Ottawa in my 5th year and maybe after my university. I'll be taking the MCAT this summer using prep 101. Wish my luck and thanks!!

7 hours ago, Rziae said:

Thank you! Yeah definitely, I agree.

I think UofT is out of the question since, their GPA averages are almost a 4.0. Their wGPA is calculated so that 4 of the lowest grade courses are remove during the calculation. Considering my multiple course messups (mostly in first year and second), I dont think I can come close to a good enough wGPA.

Yeah I was thinking of applying to Ottawa in my 5th year and maybe after my university. I'll be taking the MCAT this summer using prep 101. Wish my luck and thanks!!

I wouldn't say it is that high and if you are in the right range I would still apply - you would be potentially removing 10 courses off your schedule after your 5th year. Odds may be reduced but still - you take every option to advance you can :) 

and yes of course good luck! 

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

I wouldn't say it is that high and if you are in the right range I would still apply - you would be potentially removing 10 courses off your schedule after your 5th year. Odds may be reduced but still - you take every option to advance you can :) 

and yes of course good luck! 

Yeah! that actually makes sense. I calculated my 5 years excluding 10 of my courses and I estimate that it will be around ~3.94. I never thought of applying but this will be my backup just incase I don't get to the other places. thank you!