Premed 101 Forums

Imposter syndrome as a premed

icymeia

Clearly you do know you want to be a doctor since you're going through all the effort of applying. Reflect on what is driving you to become a doctor. Also, talk to people close to you that you trust and are familiar with your journey and ask them why they think you would be a good doctor, then take their answers and fake it till you make it. Imposter syndrome never really goes away, but the goal posts move (at some point you will worry if you're really ready to be a staff physician, but at that point residency will be no sweat and med school will be long conquered).

You've got 4 interviews, that's better than most of the people who get into med school, let alone the people who get rejected. Clearly you're a strong applicant, you wouldn't have those interviews if not. One suggestion: Try hanging out with some med students if you know any; for the most part, we're not that impressive a bunch. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Most people get into med school with 1-2 interviews. Also just my opinion, but I think you also shouldn't be going into the interviews thinking that you somehow need to convince all of these doctors in 1 hour that you would be a great med student because that's a great way to stress yourself out for no reason. Just know your CV well, your reasons for pursuing medicine, practice 15-20 ethical scenarios with a friend or two, and you're good to go. Let them see for themselves why you would be a great med student - and I have no doubt you will be!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:52 PM, icymeia said:

How am I supposed to convince interviewers I'd be a great med student if I don't even believe it? I'm so mad I worked so hard to get to this spot (4 interviews so far) but I'm scared for interviews and I don't feel like I deserve anything :/

ha as others pointed out the imposter syndrome. There are still times when I feel like I am way too stupid to be a doctor - usually when I a make a mistake ha (which happens regularly). Just about to be staff and that doesn't matter. Trained at a great school, great residency, fellowships at Harvard affiliated schools........and that doesn't matter. At what point will I think I am good enough ha - will even being staff at a major teaching hospital do it? 

Part of that is we just hold up in some fashion doctors as been much more than we overall are. Even smart highly educated people are still fallible.

In other words what you are feeling is common, kind of expected, but also something you have to guard against - you can mentally set yourself up for a bad result if you believe you deserve a bad result. But you don't deserve a bad result at all......

Also isn't about what you "deserve" - at least not in abstract terms. It is about what you earned and determined by multiple highly rigorous advanced selection systems keen on getting top candidates. You deserve what you earn, and you earned 4 interview spots (and that isn't something done by luck alone). You left in a sense with a weird situation (which I understand) where the schools themselves that know way more about what is required than you (greater experience, and assess to more information) and think you "deserve" a strong chance of being a doctor - and you are disagreeing with them ha. I mean logically that is actually a bit nuts, but logic isn't the only thing going on :)

Deep breath - have some faith that the system selected you for good reasons and carry on. 

nice job on 4 interviews!! I know that's tough dude, I feel like every path someone takes, med or otherwise, will always have a little bit of imposter syndrome. The important thing to remember is that you're on this path right now to learn. They don't expect you to know everything and they KNOW you don't know everything! So you're not even an imposter yet :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that, for you, preparing for interviews should essentially be a process of introspection. Ask yourself, why do you want to be a doctor? What are your life goals? What life experiences have helped shape the person you are today? What are your strenght? How have you worked on your weaknesses in the past? What will you do about them in the future?  What have you accomplished, and what remains to be accomplished? What are your passions? Write all of that down, or record yourself answering those questions.

You should definitely work on convincing yourself first, because you're right: it's hard to convince someone of something you don't really believe in. If you have time for that, you could even consult in psychology to accompany you in this process... it could be very helpful to get to know yourself better and gain self-confidence. Obviously, it will never be perfect. There is also a balance to be struck between confidence and arrogance. You don't want to convince them that you are already a perfect student, you only want them to see that you have the potential of becoming one! Don't put to much pressure on yourself. You can do it. You must already have a very strong application file to have been invited times & you have an incredible resilience. Good luck !