Premed 101 Forums

What is your first choice site preference?

Site Preferences Choices  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What are your putting for your first choice?

• VFMP
    • IMP
    • Rural IMP
    • SMP
    • Rural SMP
    • NMP

I saw someone do this last year and thought it was very interesting and figured I might as well start one this year :) Answers are anonymous!

Last year they differentiated between the non-rural and rural seats so I did the same- even though we don't really get to choose what seat we get haha, but I'm assuming it was pertaining to whether you filled out the rural section and think you may have a high RRSS. 

In addition, if anyone would like to speak to why they are choosing such in the comments I think that could be interesting too :) 

Ideally, Kelowna or Victoria would be my first choice just because I love the communities and the idea of smaller class sizes. But logistically, Vancouver has to be my first choice. If I'm accepted, my fiancé will be coming with me and with his work he can only be transferred to Vancouver. It doesn't make sense to pay for living accommodations in two separate places—especially when BC is so expensive to begin with!!

2 hours ago, coffeeandmed said:

Ideally, Kelowna or Victoria would be my first choice just because I love the communities and the idea of smaller class sizes. But logistically, Vancouver has to be my first choice. If I'm accepted, my fiancé will be coming with me and with his work he can only be transferred to Vancouver. It doesn't make sense to pay for living accommodations in two separate places—especially when BC is so expensive to begin with!!

If you’re living separately from your spouse in another city and eligible for / receiving student loans, you are generally eligible for a much larger bursary from UBC than the average student. In my case it covered the second rent with some left over towards tuition. It’s definitely expensive and can’t say I recommend it as a first choice. But it can be workable if you qualify for that extra support. 

1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

If you’re living separately from your spouse in another city and eligible for / receiving student loans, you are generally eligible for a much larger bursary from UBC than the average student. In my case it covered the second rent with some left over towards tuition. It’s definitely expensive and can’t say I recommend it as a first choice. But it can be workable if you qualify for that extra support. 

Wow that is really great information. I cant even imagine how hard it would be to live away from a spouse.

21 hours ago, frenchpress said:

Thank you for this information!! Hopefully, VFMP works out. If not, I will have a bit of time to pursue these other avenues!

4 minutes ago, keiko88 said:

Hoping for some clarification:

if you get accepted at your second choice, is it still possible to be waitlisted for your first choice? does that opportunity disappear as soon as you accept an offer? 

thanks! 

Paraphrasing the acceptance email we got last year, your acceptance to the site offered is binding, but you may be placed on a waitlist for another site if the one you were offered is not your first choice (after accepting). 

On 2/9/2020 at 4:01 PM, keiko88 said:

Hoping for some clarification:

if you get accepted at your second choice, is it still possible to be waitlisted for your first choice? does that opportunity disappear as soon as you accept an offer? 

thanks! 

The site preference fact sheet they sent out today says this:

We understand that medical school is a big commitment for you. It’s a big commitment for the Faculty of Medicine as well. Please help us put you in a location where you will be happy by fully considering the choices you are making. Offers to the UBC medical program are site specific and are binding to the location indicated. We cannot switch people between sites once they commit to a specific location. Each of the distributed sites in the program will be fully subscribed when the offers are all accepted. Additional seats or “openings to move” are not an option. Help us give you the best possible outcome and rank sites where you wish to live and study for the duration of the undergraduate program.

So I think that maybe once you commit to a location, ie accept, you cannot move around any longer. 

• 2 months later...