Premed 101 Forums

AMA I am a PT clinic instructor and application reviewer

Not sure if you'd have insight on this, but I'm curious how schools without an interview component in their application process (e.g. Western, Queen's) might analyze the written components of applications differently, if at all? Are there certain red flags or must haves for applications to these schools?

On 2/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, jhall_88xc said:

Not sure if you'd have insight on this, but I'm curious how schools without an interview component in their application process (e.g. Western, Queen's) might analyze the written components of applications differently, if at all? Are there certain red flags or must haves for applications to these schools?

The written application portion is read by several reviewers, then given a mark based on a rubric. Red flags are your typical red flags, thinking you're amazing, sounding social inept, etc. Must haves are attributes that would make a good physio. 

On 2/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, maybePT said:

Thanks for doing this! My question would be how much weight are given to practical references that evaluate ones interpersonal skills? Thanks again!

I am not sure how much they're weighted but it's important to have a good reference from my perspective. it gives me insight to who you are from someone else's perspective. I have read applications with references that boasted the applicant's attributes and others who could hardly comment on it. Makes me think of you one way or the other.