Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for Choosing My Electives

Hi All,

I am an MS3 and have to choose my electives including OOP electives pretty soon. I am thinking between IM and FM and I cannot decide which one is my preferred choice at this point. Location is very important for me so I would rather stay here in BC where my family is. So I would rank IM and FM in my current location first but if I have to do residency OOP, I would rather do FM so I can come home after 2 years rather than having to stay there for the next 5 years.

Knowing that both FM and IM in my home province is increasingly competitive, I would like to know how you would advise me on choosing my electives considering that I have 20 weeks electives allowance.

Home school was BC as well also applied to IM/FM back then. There are a lot of really good electives in BC that would be useful for IM/FM. At this time you probably already scheduled all your BC electives. Can consider doing ~6-8 weeks of OOP with IM/FM split, in a city/program that's relatively higher on your non-UBC list. I think ultimately it will be up to your decision re: whether you like IM or FM more, GIM vs subspecialties, lower mainland vs. mid-sized/rural community, etc.