Premed 101 Forums

Question about Mac Family Medicine and elective time

Hi! 

I'm seriously considering ranking Mac FM first, however I'm concerned about how little elective time they have (3 blocks in PGY2).

I wanted some insight on how this impacts Mac residents' ability to be successful in their plus one applications?

I'm definitely not set on doing a plus one, but I do want to keep my options open right now.

Thank you!

The limited elective time does not seem to have any significant negative effect on the success of PGY3 applications for Mac residents. Many residents do end up getting what they applied for.

Interestingly, in 2018, McMaster's own Enhanced Skills (PGY3) Program came under accusations of a lack of transparency. They were accepting applications and interviewing candidates despite not actually having definite positions available, and several residents called them out for it. The controversy led to the cancellation of at least one pgy-3 information session, changes to Mac's rejection letters, and later an overhaul of their webpage to reflect number of positions available. Whether Mac truly does anything different internally now or not is anyone's guess.