Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine Competitiveness

I know people say FM isn't competitive at all, but I've heard of people who were gearing towards another specialty, and decided to back up with FM, get zero FM interviews. I'm honestly wondering, if you're equally open to a more competitive specialty as well as FM, and you decide to try and match for either, do you still have a decent chance at FM granted you're willing to go anywhere in the country (except maybe Quebec)? Or are programs only interested in people who seem to be dedicated from the onset in FM, because apparently "backing up" means you're not genuinely interested? 

From what my class went through, some FM programs interview more readily than others, some rural programs are actually quite competitive. If you have good letters and some elective time (1-2+) you will be able to get FM interviews broadly. My home school has gotten somewhat more selective, applicants with all optho electives for instance may not get as high a "score". I'd certainly say they want applicants who want to be there and don't want to be everyone's backup. Having a parallel plan for something and FM is very reasonable, and common.

16 hours ago, procrastinating said:

I know people say FM isn't competitive at all, but I've heard of people who were gearing towards another specialty, and decided to back up with FM, get zero FM interviews. I'm honestly wondering, if you're equally open to a more competitive specialty as well as FM, and you decide to try and match for either, do you still have a decent chance at FM granted you're willing to go anywhere in the country (except maybe Quebec)? Or are programs only interested in people who seem to be dedicated from the onset in FM, because apparently "backing up" means you're not genuinely interested? 

It really depends on how they backed up. They are more likely to get zero FM interviews despite applying broadly if they had 1. 0 FM electives 2. truly did not even like FM to begin with and it showed 3. red flags on their CV 4. no demonstrated interest in going rural or being open to that idea. 

While it is true there are empty FM spots each year, no program wants to fill a spot with someone who they know has absolutely no interest in their specialty and program and is highly unlikely to stay after residency. I'm sure with these schools they have accepted people like this in the past only to regret doing so. 

But generally speaking, if you genuinely can see yourself in FM, do at least 1 if not 2 electives or more in it and can send 3 refs that attest to this interest and apply broadly and are otherwise a nice easy going person, you are very likely to get interviews somewhere in Canada for FM even if it is obvious you have an interest in a different specialty.