Premed 101 Forums

GIM: Transitionning from inpatient to a purely outpatient practice in Quebec?

Whitefang546

I'm a recently graduated internist (5 year GIM) working in a community hospital in Quebec in the greater Montreal area. I have been working as an attending for a little over a year now and have been increasingly feeling burned out. I like internal medicine, but I've grown to hate hospital work (the constant neverending flow of consults, the intense soulcrushing calls) to the point where my mental well being is being threatened. My practice is mainly inpatient stuff with ER/Wards consult coverage as well as ICU coverage 1 week out of 6. After much introspection, I've realized that in-hospital work is not for me and would like to focus my career on a purely outpatient based/ambulatory practice. Is such a thing possible in Quebec as an internist? How do i set this up? Would i need to work in a GMF? What should I expect salary wise? Ideally I would like to stay in the Montreal area but I'm also open to working in Ottawa/Toronto.