Premed 101 Forums

OTTAWA INTERVIEW 2020 DISCUSSION

29 minutes ago, slimduck said:

How is french tested if you are applying into the english stream but declared bilingualism?

From what I heard they would welcome you and do the majority of questions in English. But then they'd switch to ask you a question in French. So be prepared to answer at least one question in French. ;)

I also interviewed on Wednesday and from my own experience and everyone else's I talked to that day, most of the panels seemed quite friendly and welcoming. Mine was so sweet I was a tiny bit shocked! Very conversational and they did seem interested in getting to know me. Traditional panel questions (can't say much more). Hope this helps calm your nerves. Try not to psyche yourself out. Have fun and make friends (I did :)) and good luck to y'all! 

I have my interview this coming weekend (on the 29th) at 1pm! I'm really nervous, but excited to get the opportunity to share myself. For anyone who's already had their interview, do you have any tips? Even if its not about the interview itself, but for getting there, the signing in process, etc... Anything would be much appreciated to calm my nerves :)

On 2/22/2020 at 8:31 AM, slimduck said:

How is french tested if you are applying into the english stream but declared bilingualism?

They ask you when you register if you are bilingual, and then check it off on your file. I think they test your French depending on who is on your panel, as mine didn’t have any French questions  

On 2/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, newmy88 said:

I have my interview this coming weekend (on the 29th) at 1pm! I'm really nervous, but excited to get the opportunity to share myself. For anyone who's already had their interview, do you have any tips? Even if its not about the interview itself, but for getting there, the signing in process, etc... Anything would be much appreciated to calm my nerves :)

Hey! They actually make the process pretty relaxing. Plan to get there 30 min before, and then they'll be signs that tell you where to go - when you get there, you'll have to sign in and turn your phone in (you can do this right before your interview, but I turned mine in immediately so I didn't have to worry about it). They also have racks where you can put your coat. They'll be multiple tables where theres usually 2 MS4 students (one anglophone stream one, and another one from the francophone stream), and you can talk with them and the other students at the table. They'll tell you that 10-15 min before your interview, you have to go sit at another table with the people that are interviewing at the same time as you. Make sure to keep track of time, because I don't think they'll come find you to remind you - at least that's what happened with me. Finally, someone from the panel will come get you at the table and then you start your interview! 

Had my interview. The interviewers went off the script on me (I don't know if it's a good thing or not) and I started off kind of shaky. Near the end they were smiling/laughing and again, I don't know if this is good or not, but I feel like they gained interest. Went overtime by a bit. I (obviously) feel like I could've improved on all my answers. But oh well, what's done is done. Good luck!

On 2/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, Neuroresearch said:

They ask you when you register if you are bilingual, and then check it off on your file. I think they test your French depending on who is on your panel, as mine didn’t have any French questions  

Thanks for your response! Did you declare bilingualism and not get tested on it?

17 minutes ago, slimduck said:

Thanks for your response! Did you declare bilingualism and not get tested on it?

They will test your bilingualism! I declared bilingualism, and spent about 5 min speaking in english (I applied to the francophone stream). Also, they didn't ask me when I registered if I was bilingual, so it looks like people are having different experiences. 

1 minute ago, DrOtter said:

I'm kinda curious how representative one's post-interview feelings are of their actual performance and eventual results. :unsure: It'd be so reassuring if others who got accepted/rejected in past cycles could share some insight on that.

There is none. Talked about many many times. Many examples of feeling great but rejected and vice versa. Best not to dwell on it and continue moving forward until results come out.