Premed 101 Forums

OTTAWA INTERVIEW 2020 DISCUSSION

1 minute ago, DrHopes said:

I was waitlisted at 7:25 (and 1 second, lol) for the french stream as well.... We are 3 ?

It is so hard to not know our rank.

Last year, my friend received his WL email at 7:26 (french as well) and never received an offer. I received my bad WL email at 7:29. Trying not to get paranoid with this -- last year was last year. 

On va y arriver ! Courage !

Do you know if there is a lot of movement for the french stream?

3 minutes ago, DrHopes said:

I was waitlisted at 7:25 (and 1 second, lol) for the french stream as well.... We are 3 ?

It is so hard to not know our rank.

Last year, my friend received his WL email at 7:26 (french as well) and never received an offer. I received my bad WL email at 7:29. Trying not to get paranoid with this -- last year was last year. 

On va y arriver ! Courage !

When you say bad WL email, what do you mean?

8 minutes ago, BENQQQQQ said:

Waitlisted (no indication of bad) received at 7:47, and i was using yahoo email could only tell the "original receiving time" was 7:46, anyone has any idea how to check when it was sent on yahoo?

You have to go into the source code of the e-mail essentially. Not sure on Yahoo, but try to find three small dots in the upper right corner of the e-mail. Once you're into the source, look for the time next to a variable containing "created". CTRL+F is your friend. 

Mine was created at 7:38, and received at 7:40. Whether this is actually indicative of your ranking... realistically, probably not. 

I don't know... I would expect it since there is like 4 french schools in Quebec and it is much, much, much cheaper ! Like 1 year uOttawa medschool = your medical degree in Quebec. 

Quebec school release their offers tomorrow. Fingers crossed ! I am praying !

9 minutes ago, MedSchoolHope101 said:

Thanks a lot!! Will Ottawa start sending emails for the WL right away? If they get many students from Quebec refusing their offer tomorrow, for example, will they contact us this week?

Also, how have you been liking Ottawa this past year? :) 

From what i remember, they're waiting for about 2 weeks before calling candidates from the waitlist. But don't take that info too seriously!

I accepted an offer at Université Laval instead ahaha but some of my friends got in at Uottawa and have the time of their lives!! They really have a strong program and have amazing clinical opportunities (ULaval is better though ;) ) 

2 minutes ago, BingBop said:

You have to go into the source code of the e-mail essentially. Not sure on Yahoo, but try to find three small buttons in the upper right corner. Once you're into the source, look for the time next to a variable containing "created". CTRL+F is your friend. 

Mine was created at 7:38, and received at 7:40. 

Ah thanks man, it was the same time 7:46, no much hope but pray for the best and best luck to you

The sentence I underlined is what it says when it is bad WL.

Suite à votre demande d’admission à notre Faculté de médecine pour l’année 2019-2020,  le Comité des admissions a maintenant complété l’étude de votre dossier.

Nous avons maintenant offert l’admission au volet francophone pour les quarante candidates et candidats les plus haut placés sur la liste d’ordre séquentiel d’excellence.

Votre nom a été placé sur une liste d’attente.  Cependant, je dois vous informer que, considérant votre rang sur cette liste, il est peu probable que vous recevez une offre.

Au fur et à mesure que les étudiantes et les étudiants acceptés refuseront nos offres, les sièges disponibles seront alors offerts aux candidates et aux candidats sur la liste d’attente selon un ordre de priorité établi par le Comité des admissions.  Dans l’éventualité qu’un siège vous serait offert, vous en serez informé soit par appel téléphonique ou par communication courrier électronique. 

Les candidates et les candidats dont le nom aura été placé sur la liste d’attente seront informés par courriel dès que la classe sera complète.

1 minute ago, DrHopes said:

The sentence I underlined is what it says when it is bad WL.

Suite à votre demande d’admission à notre Faculté de médecine pour l’année 2019-2020,  le Comité des admissions a maintenant complété l’étude de votre dossier.

Nous avons maintenant offert l’admission au volet francophone pour les quarante candidates et candidats les plus haut placés sur la liste d’ordre séquentiel d’excellence.

Votre nom a été placé sur une liste d’attente.  Cependant, je dois vous informer que, considérant votre rang sur cette liste, il est peu probable que vous recevez une offre.

Au fur et à mesure que les étudiantes et les étudiants acceptés refuseront nos offres, les sièges disponibles seront alors offerts aux candidates et aux candidats sur la liste d’attente selon un ordre de priorité établi par le Comité des admissions.  Dans l’éventualité qu’un siège vous serait offert, vous en serez informé soit par appel téléphonique ou par communication courrier électronique. 

Les candidates et les candidats dont le nom aura été placé sur la liste d’attente seront informés par courriel dès que la classe sera complète.

Ohh I see, thanks!

1 minute ago, memelord said:

From what i remember, they're waiting for about 2 weeks before calling candidates from the waitlist. But don't take that info too seriously!

I accepted an offer at Université Laval instead ahaha but some of my friends got in at Uottawa and have the time of their lives!! They really have a strong program and have amazing clinical opportunities (ULaval is better though ;) ) 

haha of course, you have to stick up for your program :P

Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to keep on waiting! I have a plan B for next year if I don't get in, and I would just like to know if I can start preparing for that or if I am gonna get in eventually... I think we signed up for these long periods of uncertainty when we applied for med tho haha

3 minutes ago, sadhappy said:

from what i see on last years thread, the first WL offers only started to go out exactly 2 weeks later (they do them in batches every 2 weeks). I know Mac went slightly crazy this year but I personally wouldn't turn down an offer for a WL spot 

That's good advice

Good luck to everyone who's on the waitlist, I hope it moves quickly! 

6 minutes ago, MedSchoolHope101 said:

haha of course, you have to stick up for your program :P

Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to keep on waiting! I have a plan B for next year if I don't get in, and I would just like to know if I can start preparing for that or if I am gonna get in eventually... I think we signed up for these long periods of uncertainty when we applied for med tho haha

Life goes on, no matter what. I know, this is truly a nerve wrecking process... Don't get your hopes up! 

Hi everyone,

I'm a first year med student in the French Stream. I know from experience that today can be magical for some of you, but it might also be a horrible day for others. I know that my fellow classmate and I are thinking of you guys. One of my colleague asked me to post this on this forum. You are all amazing. Today doesn't define you.

Gabrielle, Year 1 Francophone Stream

(English follows)

Je ne vais jamais oublier la journée où je me suis présenté à l’urgence et que j’en suis ressortie la larme à l’œil avec un petit papier blanc sur lequel je pouvais lire Venlafaxine HCL, 37.5 mg, 1xj.

Cela marquait le début d’une étape importante pour moi, soit l’acceptation. À ce moment, je me sentais comme si j’avais tout essayé. Une lutte contre l’anxiété et la dépression, invaincue avec la psychothérapie seule. Je me devais d’être honnête avec moi-même et m’aider. Je me disais que j’étais plus forte que « ça ». Ça m’a pris des mois pour le dire à mes proches. C’était comme si j’avais perdu une bataille, alors que je venais d’aller chercher un outil pour militer pour mon bien-être.

Qu’est-ce qui m’avait apporté jusqu’ici? Pendant de nombreuses années, je me réveillais chaque matin en pensant à un objectif précis : devenir étudiante en médecine. À ce moment, la moindre de mes actions était dictée par ce rêve. J’habitais un environnement universitaire toxique, compétitif et centré sur soi-même. J’avais peu d’énergie pour faire face aux événements incontrôlables de la vie comme la maladie et le décès de proches. J’essayais de mettre ce genre de chose de côté, car la charge de travail ne me permettait pas de les vivre.

J’avais rarement les résultats souhaités aux examens. Je corrélais mes notes avec ma valeur humaine. Année après année, je posais ma candidature au doctorat en médecine pour ensuite recevoir un courriel de refus, parfois même me disant que je n’étais pas retenue pour une entrevue. C’est à ce moment que j’obtenais mon laissez-passer à plusieurs mois de phases nuageuses. J’étais brisée, déçue et déprimée. J’essayais de me convaincre que j’étais plus que mes notes et un rang sur une liste d’excellence. Je ressentais de la frustration face au manque de reconnaissance de mon potentiel.

C’est une chose de vivre avec la défaite soi-même, mais une autre d’avoir besoin de l’affronter en public et de sentir le besoin de défendre ses intérêts à ceux qui demandaient « As-tu été admise en médecine? Qu’est-ce que tu vas faire? C’est quoi ton plan B? ». Ces interactions me rongeaient.

Je voyais les années s’ajouter, je me sentais comme si je vivais seulement des défaites. Bref, je n’arrivais pas à voir le bout du tunnel. Ma foi en mes capacités, ma passion et le soutien de mon entourage m’ont poussé à persister.

Après avoir été rejetée à quatre reprises, le 14 mai 2019, c’était finalement à mon tour de lire « Félicitations ».

Ce n’est que le début de cette aventure vers le doctorat en médecine, mais, la route pour se rendre ici a été tellement pénible par bout que je me suis promis de prioriser ma santé mentale et physique, peu importe les circonstances difficiles que je vais rencontrer tout au long des prochaines années de ma vie. On doit se donner l’amour que l’on donne si facilement aux autres.

Avec le recul, j’observe que j’ai beaucoup appris de ces expériences et qu’ils sont partie intégrante de la personne que je suis aujourd’hui. Équipée d’un monologue intérieur réaliste, militante pour la santé mentale et bien entourée, je me sens prête à tourner la page. Suite à plus de trois ans de prise d’antidépresseurs, je viens de prendre un rendez-vous avec mon médecin de famille pour entreprendre le protocole de sevrage.

Où sont les personnes affectées par la santé mentale? Tout autour de nous. Si nous ne sommes pas ouverts avec nos problèmes, ils vont finir par affecter nos proches et moins proche.

Les problèmes de santé mentale entèrent des gens chaque jour. Plusieurs vivent misérablement dans le silence. Le stigma survit seulement si nous le nourrissons. Nous avons alors tous une responsabilité d’en parler et de montrer l’exemple. Mon rêve est qu’un jour mes patients me parlent de leur santé mentale autant aisément que de leurs maux de dos.

--------------------------------------------------

I will never forget the day when I presented myself to the emergency room and left with teary eyes and a small white paper on which I could read Venlafaxine HCL, 37.5 mg, 1xd.

This was the start of an important step for me: acceptance. I remember thinking that I had tried everything. A battle against anxiety and depression, unconquered by psychotherapy alone. I had to be honest with myself and seek help, but I kept hoping I’d be stronger than “that.” It took months for me to open up to my family and close friends. It felt like as though I had lost a fight, when in reality I had equipped myself with the ability to campaign for my own wellbeing.

What led to this? For many years I woke up every morning with one goal in mind: becoming a medical student. All of my thoughts and actions were geared towards this objective. I lived in a toxic university environment that was competitive and self-focused. I had little energy left over to face the unexpected life events that came my way, like illness or the loss of loved ones. In fact, I often found myself trying to quickly move past these events as my workload rarely granted me enough time to truly live them.

I seldom obtained desirable results on exams. My self-worth was deeply correlated with the grades I received. Year after year, I applied to medical school only to receive an email of rejection, sometimes without even being invited for an interview. This led to months of cloudy periods. I was broken, disappointed and depressed. I kept trying to convince myself that I was more than my grades, or a name on a waitlist. However, my frustration grew as I felt that my potential was being overlooked.

It’s one thing to live with defeat itself, but another to have to confront it publicly. A desperate need to defend my ambitions arose when people asked “Have you been accepted to medical school yet? What are you going to do next? Do you have a plan B?”. These conversations consumed me.

I watched the years add up, and it seemed like I was living failure after failure. I no longer saw the light at the end of tunnel, so to say. Despite this, I still had faith in my abilities and my passion. I felt supported by those closest to me, and I decided to persevere.

After being rejected four times, it was finally my turn to read “Congratulations” on May 4th, 2019.

As I begin this new chapter that is medical school, I make a point of remembering that the road to get here wasn’t easy. I’ve promised myself that moving forward I’ll prioritize my mental and physical health, no matter the difficult circumstances that are bound to come about over the next few years. I now understand that it’s essential to be compassionate towards ourselves like we are with others.

I’ve learned a lot from what I’ve experienced, and the lessons I carry with me are a large part of the person I’ve become today. Equipped with a realistic internal monologue, a desire to maintain a state of mental wellbeing and a supportive environment, I feel ready to turn a page. After more than three years on antidepressants, I’ve just made an appointment with my family doctor to begin the withdrawal protocol.

It’s important to recognize that we’re surrounded by people dealing with mental health issues. If we’re not open about our own problems, they end up affecting those around us. Remember that anyone can be afflicted by mental illness. We therefore all have a responsibility to talk about mental health and lead by example. My hope is that one day my patients can talk to me as comfortably about their mental health as they would about their back pain.