Premed 101 Forums

OTTAWA INTERVIEW 2020 DISCUSSION

20 hours ago, FriendlyApple said:

I'm sorry you feel this way. I believe many of us would like to refine our answers to certain questions as well. I find it interesting how varied the interviews seem to be. I was asked 0 personal questions and left feeling that there was no way they knew who I was. Hopefully we hear good news in May :)

19 hours ago, FriendlyApple said:

I'm sorry you feel this way. I believe many of us would like to refine our answers to certain questions as well. I find it interesting how varied the interviews seem to be. I was asked 0 personal questions and left feeling that there was no way they knew who I was. Hopefully we hear good news in May :)

I hope we do as well :) Thank you for your kind words!!

On 3/14/2020 at 6:40 PM, MDLD said:

Just wondering, how much does Ottawa weigh Casper, gpa and abs for the pre interview score? 

Hard to say since they don't publish or discuss it. Their website says Excellence of marks (i.e. wGPA) plus non-academic assessment (CASPer, ABS and LORs), but the interview package says (GPA + CASPer only) so who knows. But then they also requires verifier details on the ABS (unlike McMaster which doesn't care and also only looks at GPA and CASPer (and CARS)), so they must use the ABS in the scoring somehow!

24 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

Hard to say since they don't publish or discuss it. Their website says Excellence of marks (i.e. wGPA) plus non-academic assessment (CASPer, ABS and LORs), but the interview package says (GPA + CASPer only) so who knows. But then they also requires verifier details on the ABS (unlike McMaster which doesn't care and also only looks at GPA and CASPer (and CARS)), so they must use the ABS in the scoring somehow!

I thought ABS and Casper was for pre-interview score? Post-interview I think is similar to what you mentioned, interview scores first to determine auto acceptance or rejections and then GPA if ur on waitlist. No idea if Casper plays a role post-interview. Would like more info on this as well.

2 hours ago, SomethingCool said:

I thought ABS and Casper was for pre-interview score? Post-interview I think is similar to what you mentioned, interview scores first to determine auto acceptance or rejections and then GPA if ur on waitlist. No idea if Casper plays a role post-interview. Would like more info on this as well.

deleted 

12 hours ago, SomethingCool said:

OP was asking about pre-interview tho :D

Yeah post-interview is most likely interview scores plus GPA as tie breakers. They do mention Adcom might take "other factors" into consideration so a little bit of ambiguity there. 

2 hours ago, DrOtter said:

OP was asking about pre-interview tho :D

Yeah post-interview is most likely interview scores plus GPA as tie breakers. They do mention Adcom might take "other factors" into consideration so a little bit of ambiguity there. 

Lol I guess now that it’s after the interview I’m being haunted by it and just seeing post-interview even where it’s not. But thanks that clears up a lot haha

On 3/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, SomethingCool said:

Lol I guess now that it’s after the interview I’m being haunted by it and just seeing post-interview even where it’s not. But thanks that clears up a lot haha

Haha also there's this, on their website:

"Following the interview, preliminary rank order lists are prepared based on a combined score using the WGPA and the interview performance (a poor interview may not be ranked). In the event of ties in the final scores, candidates with the highest WGPA will be ranked higher. The admissions committee may take other factors into consideration when ranking each candidate."

Here praying my GPA will tide me over :D

31 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

might be a weird question... But what's everyone been up to these days to deal with the wait :rolleyes:?

I normally would have work/classes but now I'm holed up inside and WFM and I'm having a loooooot of free time to overthink :eek:. Just wanna know that I'm not alone in this lol

I feel like I’m in a similar position. Lots of free time inside my house and I’m in a gap year so no school and rn no work since COVID. So far just helping my mom out with some chores and work around the house, Netflix party w friends or playing games for an hr or 2, overthink about my incoming R or waitlist at Ottawa, sometimes working out lol, rinse and repeat.

Decisions are far away, Ottawa was my only interview so I’m toying with the idea of starting studying for mcat soon? Idk yet but I feel like in a few days I’ll just start. Who knows how long things will be on lockdown.

1 hour ago, ABCD13 said:

I've had so much time to think during this that I've already brainwashed myself with how bad my interview went so I started studying for my MCAT lol

Like at this point ive nitpicked my interview so much that I started criticizing my freaking handshake 

Haha I so identify with you! I took the MCAT already so I can't even study for that lol. But yeah I got to the "I only had time to shake hands with 1 interviewer when I left, is that bad?"-stage already :lol:

13 hours ago, SomethingCool said:

I feel like I’m in a similar position. Lots of free time inside my house and I’m in a gap year so no school and rn no work since COVID. So far just helping my mom out with some chores and work around the house, Netflix party w friends or playing games for an hr or 2, overthink about my incoming R or waitlist at Ottawa, sometimes working out lol, rinse and repeat.

Decisions are far away, Ottawa was my only interview so I’m toying with the idea of starting studying for mcat soon? Idk yet but I feel like in a few days I’ll just start. Who knows how long things will be on lockdown.

im in the same boat - gap year and no work bc of COVID - been watching plenty of TV lol 

25 minutes ago, med97 said:

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the large wait list movement associated with Ottawa, particularly last year? Keeping that in mind, how good does one's interview have to be to get in Ottawa if one accounts the wait list for the English Stream?

Check out this document, it shows some date from the last few years, does not include last year though. 

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

11 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

Haha. I really do wish we get to find out a bit earlier, like mid-April -- after March since some interviews are still happening. Currently watching McGill release their decisions.

Haha I know. But even if that's the case. Lots of people will still need to wait until the rest of Ontario send out their results, and those of us who would be on the waitlist at Ottawa would still need to wait til May for there to be any movement. It's just nerve-racking either way haha