Premed 101 Forums

OTTAWA INTERVIEW 2020 DISCUSSION

3 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

LOL I honestly don't know but Ottawa and Mac have CASPer in common and I suspect a lot of people might be accepted at both and with the *outcry* going on in the Mac thread, they might go with Ottawa instead of Mac. But I'm just speculating and there's no way we'll know for sure. :blink:

Anecdotally, I probably had Mac as my first choice before, and now have Ottawa

2 minutes ago, cantstopwontstop said:

wow 35% is not a lot at all. Its really hard to tell with not knowing how your interview went and what a "good interview" score is. I'm assuming that everyone in the 4/3.5 bin will get in from WGPAs 3.85-4.0?

This is what my friend who is currently at Ottawa has told me but not sure how reliable that is

1 minute ago, ready2go said:

This is what my friend who is currently at Ottawa has told me but not sure how reliable that is

I think it may be true, I saw some thread that had a couple of reasons regarding this stuff and location, winters, something about a backpack, and language preferences were some of the things mentioned

6 minutes ago, cantstopwontstop said:

Because of the lottery stuff? 

Partly the lottery, but just in general I really don't like the way McMaster has handled things. Also, interviewing with Ottawa allowed me to get a feel for the school that made a positive impression that I didn't get to have with Mac. And then lastly the three-year program has its pros and cons, but for my situation I think I'd prefer four years (though that factor hasn't changed)

20 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Partly the lottery, but just in general I really don't like the way McMaster has handled things. Also, interviewing with Ottawa allowed me to get a feel for the school that made a positive impression that I didn't get to have with Mac. And then lastly the three-year program has its pros and cons, but for my situation I think I'd prefer four years (though that factor hasn't changed)

I strongly agree with this. The fact that they did not even attempt online interviews which every other Canadian Med school managed really ticked me off. Also, I completed my undergrad at mac and the whole PBL thing is not for me. I have also heard negative comments about Mac Med from a number of current physicians. Overall, I just think other schools teaching styles would suit me better.

7 minutes ago, ready2go said:

I strongly agree with this. The fact that they did not even attempt online interviews which every other Canadian Med school managed really ticked me off. Also, I completed my undergrad at mac and the whole PBL thing is not for me. I have also heard negative comments about Mac Med from a number of current physicians. Overall, I just think other schools teaching styles would suit me better.

I agree with the interview part. I dont mind PBL too much, I wonder how different PBL is from CBL (offered at Ottawa). 

4 minutes ago, cantstopwontstop said:

I agree with the interview part. I dont mind PBL too much, I wonder how different PBL is from CBL (offered at Ottawa). 

CBL at Ottawa is complemented with lectures as well, right? Whereas McMaster is pretty much all PBL? 

4 minutes ago, cantstopwontstop said:

Me too, I hope our interviews were good enough.

I did find some parts of my interview to be quite challenging though so i'm not too sure what to expect 

I actually accidentally saw one of my interviewers giving me a good score on the first question and I felt really confident afterwards. But I've been spiralling into despair ever since :(

Just now, DrOtter said:

CBL at Ottawa is complemented with lectures as well, right? Whereas McMaster is pretty much all PBL? 

I actually accidentally saw one of my interviewers giving me a good score on the first question and I felt really confident afterwards. But I've been spiralling into despair ever since :(

Mine were just writing things down, I was too nervous to check haha - but overall I think if you were confident then thats a good sign right?

Just now, cantstopwontstop said:

Mine were just writing things down, I was too nervous to check haha - but overall I think if you were confident then thats a good sign right?

Tbh everyone I talked to post interview that day seemed like they had a great time. So it's so hard to judge. In any case, 12am tonight seems like the magic hour! 

9 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

That's awesome! I would die to just be reassured like that!! At least you know somewhat you started off with a good impression and on the right track and first impressions matter!

16 minutes ago, cantstopwontstop said:

Me too, I hope our interviews were good enough.

I did find some parts of my interview to be quite challenging though so i'm not too sure what to expect 

I hope so but idk. I answered one thing wrong and I know everyone says there is no right/wrong answer but trust me this was a question with a right answer and I legit answered it wrong lol like so far off from anything related. It has been haunting me every time I shower I get flashbacks lol

Its like asking what color is the grass and you answer "television", kind of wrong. Wtf

43 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

I hope so but idk. I answered one thing wrong and I know everyone says there is no right/wrong answer but trust me this was a question with a right answer and I legit answered it wrong lol like so far off from anything related. It has been haunting me every time I shower I get flashbacks lol

Its like asking what color is the grass and you answer "television", kind of wrong. Wtf

Probably won't make you feel better... but definitely did that too lol. And have been cringing since every time I replay it happen lol