Premed 101 Forums

High School Student: Which Courses to Take?

Im in grade 10 and I really want to become a doctor. Currently, I’m in the process of selecting courses for grade 11. I was wondering which courses I should take for the next 2 years. My guidance councillor  keeps recommending me not to take Physics. However, I want to continue to take all 3 sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry. I go to a Cathlioc school so religion is mandatory all 4 years :( I’m thinking of taking Functions and Calculus, but then again I’m wondering how important is data management? Again, I have to choose 2 electives and I don’t really know what to select. I know I want to do visual arts but then I’m wondering what a good pick for my second elective is. Or, wether I should take CO-OP at a hospital / clinic / pharmacy and receive 2 credits for it while gaining experience. English obviously isn’t a question because it’s mandatory :) 

Wrong section to post my friend. Literally high schools marks don’t matter for med school, pick stuff so you don’t have to take them in first year university. And get as high grade as possible, meaning get help from teachers when possible and taking the time to study and be organized. 

8 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Wrong section to post my friend. Literally high schools marks don’t matter for med school, pick stuff so you don’t have to take them in first year university. And get as high grade as possible, meaning get help from teachers when possible and taking the time to study and be organized. 

Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry.. I just joined these forums so I don’t really know how it works. I know it doesn’t matter for medical school but I was just wondering for university like which courses are the ones that I should take so that I don’t have to take in first year university? Thanks tho,  I’ll try my best!! 

1 hour ago, IMislove said:

Take The 3 sciences And fxns/ calculus  as you are suggesting, then you’re set.

Okay!! Thank you (: Would you recommend taking CO-OP (hospital/clinic/pharmacy) or taking electives such as visual arts and technology? I know it wouldn’t impact much.. but I’m wondering what looks better. 

I took chem, bio, French, and healthcare :) in some ways, I regretted not taking physics in grade 11/12 because it would have been helpful later on when studying for the MCAT, but it is also a first year course in most science undergrad programs. For maths, I took advanced functions but not calculus (although I took calculus in my undergrad). I didn’t take data management, but took multiple stats classes in my undergrad as well. I would say take what you’re most interested in! That will make it easier to get good marks which will be helpful when applying to university and for scholarships. I don’t think co-op would be particularly useful, and would likely eat up the time in your schedule when you could be taking university level courses (at least at my high school, I don’t think co-op counted as a university level course). But there are still tons of opportunities to get that same experience through volunteering. Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have further questions! :) 

You are asking the wrong question(s).

Time & stress management, strong work ethic, being humble and kind, living a healthy lifestyle, having outside interests and involvement in your community will all advance your best interests in the long term. High school grades or courses are irrelevant to your career future! Participate in class, ask questions of the teacher, engage your mind.

High school is the best time to develop good habits and learn how to balance work/extracurriculars/play! 

What courses you do specifically in high school doesn't really matter. Pick the courses you want to study and enjoy. :)  And pick up some extracurriculars or volunteering that you enjoy - not because it will look good to med schools but because it will be good for you, help you learn what you like and will help you get used to balancing your commitments