Premed 101 Forums

Grades and advice

7 hours ago, SeabassCanada said:

Hey I wanted advise on my chances of getting an interview at Dal or MUN as a resident of New Brunswick. 
GPA

1st year - 3.24

2nd year -3.34

3rd year - 3.8 (only 28 credit hours)

4th year - 3.8

Should I do a masters to boost my grades?

Whereas your gpa is below 3.3 in your first year and your 3rd year GPA is less than 30 credit hours I believe you’d be ineligible to apply to dal. You need at least 3 eligible years, or both your 3rd and 4th year must be eligible.

If you are not doing a 5th year I’d recommend the masters route

Why did you take less than a full course load in your third year? Depending on the situation, you may still be eligible.

Dal requires a full 30 credits in each of the last two years of an undergraduate degree, unless there are exceptional circumstances:

While successful completion of a full 60 credit hour course load in the 2 most senior years of a baccalaureate degree program is generally expected and preferred, the Admissions Committee may consider individuals who submit applications which effectively demonstrate exceptional circumstances and are able to provide sufficient evidence for sustained academic ability despite an incomplete course load.

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/course-load-requirements.html

If granted a course load requirement exemption, the GPA score is calculated in the following manner:

a) Overall GPA is determined by the alpha-numerical course grades for the most recent senior level 60 credit hours. The minimum GPA must be met in each of two successive 30 credit hours.

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/gpa-requirement/degree-assessment.html

My understanding is that Dal interviews all eligible Maritime applicants. If you meet the above criteria, as well as the MCAT and CASPer cutoff, then you will likely receive an interview.

1 hour ago, dh. said:

Why did you take less than a full course load in your third year? Depending on the situation, you may still be eligible.

Dal requires a full 30 credits in each of the last two years of an undergraduate degree, unless there are exceptional circumstances:

If granted a course load requirement exemption, the GPA score is calculated in the following manner:

My understanding is that Dal interviews all eligible Maritime applicants. If you meet the above criteria, as well as the MCAT and CASPer cutoff, then you will likely receive an interview.

I dropped one course because I was abroad for an internship and I had transfer credits from high-school and according to my school policy was still a full time student. 

I will email Dalhousie to get their thoughts. 
Thanks