Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance letter release date?

2 minutes ago, treasurer said:

Thanks!! You think for sure next week? I am scared it'll be April... LOL

I tend to lean that way, just because of what others have indicated with the Med1/2 March break being next week and that being a good indicator in previous years. But nothing is certain, and Covid has certainly thrown a bit more uncertainty into everything...but I generally think next week

On 3/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, andnowmywatchbegins said:

I tend to lean that way, just because of what others have indicated with the Med1/2 March break being next week and that being a good indicator in previous years. But nothing is certain, and Covid has certainly thrown a bit more uncertainty into everything...but I generally think next week

Some of my pals at dal med seem to think the group that runs admissions won’t be affected much by covid-19, but I guess nobody knows for sure. It’s selfish to say, but I hope they’re right and we can expect letters this week.

Hey everyone, hang in there, I know it’s super stressful waiting! I just wanted to weigh in as a Med 1 and let you know we’re thinking of you guys. In terms of admissions and COVID, I don’t think they’ll be super affected either. Admissions is separate from UGME - the people that figure out our curriculum - so letters likely won’t be delayed because it’s not undergraduate admissions that is going to scrambling to figure out what to do with current students in light of COVID 19. That said, every year it just depends when they’re ready so that could be tomorrow or the very end of March! The wait is painful so take care of yourselves <3 (and wash your hands, avoid public areas, etc!) 

3 hours ago, seatosea said:

Hey everyone, hang in there, I know it’s super stressful waiting! I just wanted to weigh in as a Med 1 and let you know we’re thinking of you guys. In terms of admissions and COVID, I don’t think they’ll be super affected either. Admissions is separate from UGME - the people that figure out our curriculum - so letters likely won’t be delayed because it’s not undergraduate admissions that is going to scrambling to figure out what to do with current students in light of COVID 19. That said, every year it just depends when they’re ready so that could be tomorrow or the very end of March! The wait is painful so take care of yourselves <3 (and wash your hands, avoid public areas, etc!) 

I am skeptical. It feels like every single person (I know) is on a WFH policy. If I was to bet, I would put my money on the covid pandemic delaying acceptance letters. There is widespread closures across the country. I hate to be negative, but people are losing their shit and acting paranoid. I don't know why this would be any different.

This is what someone I know received from the admissions office today when they emailed to ask bout the release of the decision letters. Not really sure what that means though :/ it says disruption is inevitable bu they are still working to release it in a timely manner. 

Thank you for your email.  During this time of heightened concern surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we are all taking pause about what can be done to keep our families and ourselves safe and healthy. Unfortunately, given the magnitude of some of these changes being introduced, some disruption in student and work life is inevitable.

The Admissions Office will continue to work towards having applicant decision letters distributed in a timely fashion under these ever-changing circumstances while also fulfilling our obligations to the university and following the best advice from public health. At this time, we cannot confirm when letters will be distributed.

Please take care of yourselves and your families. We will work through this incredibly challenging time together.

4 minutes ago, Mel96 said:

This is what someone I know received from the admissions office today when they emailed to ask bout the release of the decision letters. Not really sure what that means though :/ it says disruption is inevitable bu they are still working to release it in a timely manner. 

Thank you for your email.  During this time of heightened concern surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we are all taking pause about what can be done to keep our families and ourselves safe and healthy. Unfortunately, given the magnitude of some of these changes being introduced, some disruption in student and work life is inevitable.

The Admissions Office will continue to work towards having applicant decision letters distributed in a timely fashion under these ever-changing circumstances while also fulfilling our obligations to the university and following the best advice from public health. At this time, we cannot confirm when letters will be distributed.

Please take care of yourselves and your families. We will work through this incredibly challenging time together.

I know that's the right thing to do, but :( 

4 minutes ago, Mel96 said:

As a Dal employee who works in & around the Tupper Building, as of right now "all staff are expected to continue to report for work" (unless experiencing symptoms).  So as of this moment, any members of the admissions committee would still be expected to be present for any meetings they may have.  If Dal does end up closing (including all research, teaching, and administrative staff), then that's when the delays would occur.  This is just my opinion, of course, knowing what I know

It is terrifying. It’s tough not knowing how to plan out your next year when deadlines keep passing and everything is currently up in the air. Hopefully it comes out soon, though I commend the medical school on saying they will keep it timely because they have a lot on their plate right now. 

6 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

It's scary to think we may have to wait longer, but I'm still grateful that we at least were able to complete interviews at Dal before all this started, I really feel for everyone who applied in Alberta/Ontario.

This is so true! It’s imperative for us to focus on the positives of it all. It’s a blessing to even be able to wait for results (even though it sure doesn’t feel like a blessing right now lol). And even if we don’t get the letter we want, having the experience of going through the process this year will make us a better candidate going forward :) 

19 hours ago, treasurer said:

This is very true! I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to have even been interviewed. I mean it is a privilege. Has anyone gotten a hold of the admissions team or anything? Its just as @med1day has said it, everything is kind of in the air. 

23 hours ago, Mel96 said:

@treasurer this post from above might give you an idea