Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
yeeewww

Acceptance letter release date?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, medschoolgal said:

Is anyone else confused about the delay, just because traditionally decisions would have been made before all the covid craziness happened? Thats the part I'm having trouble to understand

All of the closures and cancellations due to this COVID business went down at the same time we were expecting to hear back regarding acceptances. I would have assumed everything was wrapped up for the admission process at that point, so this has been pushed backed for an abnormally long time IMO. The rumours on here saying that they are still calculating scores doesn't make much sense based on the pattern of when acceptance letters were released in the past. I'm not really sure what could be going on. I completely understand this is a difficult time but I would have assumed they would have finished everything by the time things went downhill and started getting closed on Saint Patrick's day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may have been other delays that haven't been mentioned, I was surprised to see verifiers still being contacted in March (unless they were just trying to reach out to people who hadn't responded since they had additional time?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just feel like following the timeline of previous application cycles the decisions should have been made prior to closures due to COVID. That's what I'm having trouble understanding. If we were supposed to find out mid April and it was pushed to May I would totally understand. Were they just behind on this cycle to begin with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ramjagsingh said:

I just feel like following the timeline of previous application cycles the decisions should have been made prior to closures due to COVID. That's what I'm having trouble understanding. If we were supposed to find out mid April and it was pushed to May I would totally understand. Were they just behind on this cycle to begin with? 

I’m assuming they were, it sounds like verifiers have been contacted late. To back this up a bit, they updated their admissions page to really emphasize that verifiers should be informed ahead of time they are selected as verifiers. I’m guessing they ended up having a lot of verifiers not respond or some that weren’t aware they were verifiers.

ontop of this it looks like some thought went into changing the MCAT cutoffs, so perhaps making those decisions put the admissions committee behind a bit in making decisions about our cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else thinking it could be today? I'm reaching.... but if they DO in fact meet on Wednesdays they could have finalized virtually yesterday and be setting up the emails for release this afternoon (recall last year they released on a Thursday afternoon) ... would be soooo nice for everyone involved to know before the "holiday weekend".... I might just be losing it and want it so bad I'm making crazy theories but really its been weeks since they postponed and if it is true that they had raw scores why is it taking so long to tie up loose ends... you'd think with everything else they likely have on their plates they'd want this task out of the way ASAP..... A girl can dream right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jessletmein said:

Anyone else thinking it could be today? I'm reaching.... but if they DO in fact meet on Wednesdays they could have finalized virtually yesterday and be setting up the emails for release this afternoon (recall last year they released on a Thursday afternoon) ... would be soooo nice for everyone involved to know before the "holiday weekend".... I might just be losing it and want it so bad I'm making crazy theories but really its been weeks since they postponed and if it is true that they had raw scores why is it taking so long to tie up loose ends... you'd think with everything else they likely have on their plates they'd want this task out of the way ASAP..... A girl can dream right?

I'll jump on board anyone's crazy train theories at this point lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jessletmein said:

Anyone else thinking it could be today? I'm reaching.... but if they DO in fact meet on Wednesdays they could have finalized virtually yesterday and be setting up the emails for release this afternoon (recall last year they released on a Thursday afternoon) ... would be soooo nice for everyone involved to know before the "holiday weekend".... I might just be losing it and want it so bad I'm making crazy theories but really its been weeks since they postponed and if it is true that they had raw scores why is it taking so long to tie up loose ends... you'd think with everything else they likely have on their plates they'd want this task out of the way ASAP..... A girl can dream right?

Tinfoil hat is on, let's do this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot fathom what the holdup is at this point. It's driving me insane. I go down daily rabbit holes trying to get any indication on anything about the application process. Today was the time of day letters were released. Yesterday was trying to figure out how many people interviewed for the seats I am looking to get one of. Hopefully I can get a break from myself this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ramjagsingh said:

I cannot fathom what the holdup is at this point. It's driving me insane. I go down daily rabbit holes trying to get any indication on anything about the application process. Today was the time of day letters were released. Yesterday was trying to figure out how many people interviewed for the seats I am looking to get one of. Hopefully I can get a break from myself this weekend.

Hey dude just hang in there. It sucks for all of us. My best suggestion is to stop checking this site and email non-stop, it will only make it worse. 

 

The hold up is definitely covid. The people on the committee are mostly active physicians and they are probably now working overtime. Everyone has family they are worried about, honestly delaying acceptance letters by just a few weeks is a drop in the bucket to what’s happening in the world right now

 

April is flying by and we will have them soon enough

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MUN released decisions for NB and PEI applicants, usually this happens after dal releases results. Here’s to hoping this puts more pressure on them to release results sooner! Hang in there everyone :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all need to chill. As a user pointed out, COVID is taking a chunk of everyones time. Acceptances and applications in general are definitely low priority compared to seeing patients, dealing with curriculum changes for their current students, and the administrative nightmare that this pandemic brings/staff working from home. Enjoy the weekend, take a deep breath, things will come when they come. Good luck to y'all, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ramjagsingh said:

I go down daily rabbit holes trying to get any indication on anything about the application process. Today was the time of day letters were released. Yesterday was trying to figure out how many people interviewed for the seats I am looking to get one of. Hopefully I can get a break from myself this weekend.

I can relate to this in a big way. I check this thread neurotically, and I feel low key responsible for others because I started it lol.

I heard a quote the other day that has helped.  "If it is out of your hands, it deserves freedom from your mind too." I hope everyone experiences some freedom this weekend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IMislove said:

Y'all need to chill. As a user pointed out, COVID is taking a chunk of everyones time. Acceptances and applications in general are definitely low priority compared to seeing patients, dealing with curriculum changes for their current students, and the administrative nightmare that this pandemic brings/staff working from home. Enjoy the weekend, take a deep breath, things will come when they come. Good luck to y'all, 

I think everyone knows that the delay is due to COVID-19 and that there’s a lot going on, but that doesn’t mean decision letters aren’t important too. Getting accepted to medical school is such a life changing thing, and many people are waiting on this to make other life changing decisions. It’ll happen when it happens but I think this forum helps people deal with their anxiety by talking to others in the same situation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

I think everyone knows that the delay is due to COVID-19 and that there’s a lot going on, but that doesn’t mean decision letters aren’t important too. Getting accepted to medical school is such a life changing thing, and many people are waiting on this to make other life changing decisions. It’ll happen when it happens but I think this forum helps people deal with their anxiety by talking to others in the same situation 

I completely agree. Getting into medical school is such an important milestone for some, and some of us have worked for a very VERY long time to get even the chance to interview so waiting for decisions is very intense. As well, waiting in quarantine makes it even more difficult as we cannot work or go out to take our minds off of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

I think everyone knows that the delay is due to COVID-19 and that there’s a lot going on, but that doesn’t mean decision letters aren’t important too. Getting accepted to medical school is such a life changing thing, and many people are waiting on this to make other life changing decisions. It’ll happen when it happens but I think this forum helps people deal with their anxiety by talking to others in the same situation 

Acceptances are life changing. And it is good to have a forum where you can tap to others in the same situation and feel supported. But as I said, there are many priorities that med schools have now and only limited capacity to deal with them, and unfortunately acceptances are not as high as other things, and for good reason. This pandemic is life changing, not just to medical students but applicants to all programs, jobs seekers, etc. I just get irked when people are frustrated with admin for a problem they did not create, and it is well within their rights to delay things. I see entitlement a lot in medicine, and I come from a background where that is not present and so I challenge it without hesitation. I too took many years to get where I am, and understand the process is arduous, stressful, long, and bogged down. I wish nothing but the best for all of you, when the time comes. It is not easy for anyone during these times, so lean on family and friends (virtually hah), and try to stay sane as best as possible. We’re all in this together, facing our individual and collective challenges. Again, good luck to y’all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Acceptances are life changing. And it is good to have a forum where you can tap to others in the same situation and feel supported. But as I said, there are many priorities that med schools have now and only limited capacity to deal with them, and unfortunately acceptances are not as high as other things, and for good reason. This pandemic is life changing, not just to medical students but applicants to all programs, jobs seekers, etc. I just get irked when people are frustrated with admin for a problem they did not create, and it is well within their rights to delay things. I see entitlement a lot in medicine, and I come from a background where that is not present and so I challenge it without hesitation. I too took many years to get where I am, and understand the process is arduous, stressful, long, and bogged down. I wish nothing but the best for all of you, when the time comes. It is not easy for anyone during these times, so lean on family and friends (virtually hah), and try to stay sane as best as possible. We’re all in this together, facing our individual and collective challenges. Again, good luck to y’all.

Pretty bold you of you say what I highlighted in your last post. I don't see any evidence of entitlement here, not a single person has said anything dramatic or unwarranted towards the admissions committee. Given the fact that Dal normally releases decisions in March and should have been mostly finished before all this started here in NS, I think everyone's been demonstrating that they understand the circumstances pretty well, considering the significance of decision letters and the fact that other schools in more impacted provinces (McGill) have been able to stay on track with releasing theirs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Acceptances are life changing. And it is good to have a forum where you can tap to others in the same situation and feel supported. But as I said, there are many priorities that med schools have now and only limited capacity to deal with them, and unfortunately acceptances are not as high as other things, and for good reason. This pandemic is life changing, not just to medical students but applicants to all programs, jobs seekers, etc. I just get irked when people are frustrated with admin for a problem they did not create, and it is well within their rights to delay things. I see entitlement a lot in medicine, and I come from a background where that is not present and so I challenge it without hesitation. I too took many years to get where I am, and understand the process is arduous, stressful, long, and bogged down. I wish nothing but the best for all of you, when the time comes. It is not easy for anyone during these times, so lean on family and friends (virtually hah), and try to stay sane as best as possible. We’re all in this together, facing our individual and collective challenges. Again, good luck to y’all.

Thank you for this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...