Premed 101 Forums

Good luck!

21 minutes ago, Dr. JJ said:

This morning I looked at my chicken-scratch notation of "Match Day" on the kitchen calendar, and it looked a lot more like "Meth day".

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. ;)

- JJ

PS More substantively, let's hope for a higher match rate in the first iteration than last year!

my class collectively joked one way or the other a lot of people are about to get drunk, ha. 

Not sure how universal it is but at Western we also had a bit night before party. People stayed up late, and many effectively feel asleep until about noon. At some point an admin tried to put a mandatory class in that am of match day - didn't work out so well for frankly obvious reasons. 

18 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

People stayed up late, and many effectively feel asleep until about noon.

Haha. Sounds like a good way to have built-in support, anyway.

By contrast, we* are alone at an isolated rural longitudinal clerkship posting. Going to be a very small celebration /commiseration.

There's some sort of Match day party/event at the home-based, for those not as far away!

-JJ

*My wife is the med student. I'm just the one who actually posts here because she's too gosh dang busy.

1 minute ago, Dr. JJ said:

Haha. Sounds like a good way to have built-in support, anyway.

By contrast, we* are alone at an isolated rural longitudinal clerkship posting. Going to be a very small celebration /commiseration.

There's some sort of Match day party/event at the home-based, for those not as far away!

-JJ

*My wife is the med student. I'm just the one who actually posts here because she's too gosh dang busy.

at least not totally alone - the event is way too stressful to be completely isolated for most people. 

Match day for me was the worst migraine I have ever had - our results were delayed for 2 hours and I think I broke something under the stress. Soooooo glad I will never have to go through that sort of crap again. 

42 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

Doing a shift at the ER tomorrow morning (they release us at noon). I don't know if that's a good thing or not. At least, I guess I'll have something to keep me busy. Don't think my brain is gonna be in the game though.

it won't be ha - and I can say if I am ever in position to make choices about where someone has Match Day off I will get people to have that day off. You work clinically and there is really no way to be 100% sure you even can get off on time, and of course you are going to be distracted. 

we talk a lot about wellness - well that is a a no brainer type of wellness thing to do. 

9 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

And know that even if you match #35 that it wasn't necessarily anything you did wrong either.  There is a huge luck factor with such a tight process.

To be so lucky to have had 35 spots to rank! ;)

Less than 100 minutes, folks!

-JJ

45 minutes ago, ChemPetE said:

Also Calgary family med, wow. Good job UCP govt

UCP is probably a factor but as U of A FM does not have a similar volume of unmatched spots I suspect it's due to Calgary Urban FM having a more non-traditional program structure that some people like and some people *really* dislike. Calgary has had a large number of urban FM spots in round 2 for a few years running. 

Surgical: 3 General surgery spots, 1 vascular, 2 urology, 5 ortho spots. Some are in reasonable locations (UBC, Western, Alberta).

Medical: 8 IM, 1 neurology, 3 PMR. Mostly less desirable locations or have ROS attached.

Lots of FM/pathology & lab specialty spots.

Orthopaedics seemed quite uncompetitive this year compared to previous. I wonder how many people will choose orthopaedics in the 2nd round given that it is a completely different world compared to most other surgical specialties and has a reputation for a difficult residency and poor job prospects. Vascular is about the same as before.

There isn't a single unmatched psychiatry spot this year either. Quite a shift in terms of competitiveness for psych in the last few years.

Unsurprising. It is an excellent specialty when considering lifestyle and freedom to find a job, and can be a high earning specialty doing certain kinds of inpatient work.