Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

This morning I looked at my chicken-scratch notation of "Match Day" on the kitchen calendar, and it looked a lot more like "Meth day".

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. ;)

- JJ

PS More substantively, let's hope for a higher match rate in the first iteration than last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dr. JJ said:

This morning I looked at my chicken-scratch notation of "Match Day" on the kitchen calendar, and it looked a lot more like "Meth day".

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. ;)

- JJ

PS More substantively, let's hope for a higher match rate in the first iteration than last year!

my class collectively joked one way or the other a lot of people are about to get drunk, ha. 

Not sure how universal it is but at Western we also had a bit night before party. People stayed up late, and many effectively feel asleep until about noon. At some point an admin tried to put a mandatory class in that am of match day - didn't work out so well for frankly obvious reasons. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

People stayed up late, and many effectively feel asleep until about noon.

Haha. Sounds like a good way to have built-in support, anyway.

By contrast, we* are alone at an isolated rural longitudinal clerkship posting. Going to be a very small celebration /commiseration.

There's some sort of Match day party/event at the home-based, for those not as far away!

-JJ

*My wife is the med student. I'm just the one who actually posts here because she's too gosh dang busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. JJ said:

Haha. Sounds like a good way to have built-in support, anyway.

By contrast, we* are alone at an isolated rural longitudinal clerkship posting. Going to be a very small celebration /commiseration.

There's some sort of Match day party/event at the home-based, for those not as far away!

-JJ

*My wife is the med student. I'm just the one who actually posts here because she's too gosh dang busy.

at least not totally alone - the event is way too stressful to be completely isolated for most people. 

Match day for me was the worst migraine I have ever had - our results were delayed for 2 hours and I think I broke something under the stress. Soooooo glad I will never have to go through that sort of crap again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a shift at the ER tomorrow morning (they release us at noon). I don't know if that's a good thing or not. At least, I guess I'll have something to keep me busy. Don't think my brain is gonna be in the game though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

Doing a shift at the ER tomorrow morning (they release us at noon). I don't know if that's a good thing or not. At least, I guess I'll have something to keep me busy. Don't think my brain is gonna be in the game though.

it won't be ha - and I can say if I am ever in position to make choices about where someone has Match Day off I will get people to have that day off. You work clinically and there is really no way to be 100% sure you even can get off on time, and of course you are going to be distracted. 

we talk a lot about wellness - well that is a a no brainer type of wellness thing to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

And know that even if you match #35 that it wasn't necessarily anything you did wrong either.  There is a huge luck factor with such a tight process.

To be so lucky to have had 35 spots to rank! ;)

Less than 100 minutes, folks!

-JJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Well, unless things have changed, you can rank schools that didn't even interview you ;) 

Ha there was that also weird family medicine centre plus location thing that just exploded the options. that always seemed silly to me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, carmsthroaway215365 said:

being half-content/half-happy with your own result but then seeing your best friend get absolutely crushed with theirs is the most nauseating feeling

that sucks.......

hope thing went overall well for people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks

 

Rad onc fully filled again.

Not a lot of IM left. 
rads/anesthesia/emerge/peds/all full

 

Surgical specialty spots - 2 urology, 1 obs, 1 vascular, handful of ortho, 3 gen sx

 

Also Calgary family med, wow. Good job UCP govt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ChemPetE said:

Also Calgary family med, wow. Good job UCP govt

UCP is probably a factor but as U of A FM does not have a similar volume of unmatched spots I suspect it's due to Calgary Urban FM having a more non-traditional program structure that some people like and some people *really* dislike. Calgary has had a large number of urban FM spots in round 2 for a few years running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ChemPetE said:

Rad onc fully filled again.

Not a lot of IM left. 
rads/anesthesia/emerge/peds/all full

There isn't a single unmatched psychiatry spot this year either. Quite a shift in terms of competitiveness for psych in the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surgical: 3 General surgery spots, 1 vascular, 2 urology, 5 ortho spots. Some are in reasonable locations (UBC, Western, Alberta).

Medical: 8 IM, 1 neurology, 3 PMR. Mostly less desirable locations or have ROS attached.

Lots of FM/pathology & lab specialty spots.

Orthopaedics seemed quite uncompetitive this year compared to previous. I wonder how many people will choose orthopaedics in the 2nd round given that it is a completely different world compared to most other surgical specialties and has a reputation for a difficult residency and poor job prospects. Vascular is about the same as before.

Quote

There isn't a single unmatched psychiatry spot this year either. Quite a shift in terms of competitiveness for psych in the last few years.

Unsurprising. It is an excellent specialty when considering lifestyle and freedom to find a job, and can be a high earning specialty doing certain kinds of inpatient work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...