Premed 101 Forums

2020 UWO Schulich Interview Invite Acceptance/Rejection Thread

27 minutes ago, MedGirl3000 said:

Does uwo have interview waitlist?

I am not too sure, but on the email it says:

In consideration of other candidates as well as the efforts of the Admissions Office and our volunteer interviewers, if you have already accepted an offer at another Dental School and are no longer interested in a position in the Schulich Dentistry program, please let us know immediately so that we can remove you from consideration in advance of the interview week-end."

19 minutes ago, dental1010101 said:

Invite

GPA: 3.99 (94. something) 

20AA, 19RC, 21PAT

IP

Accepted to UoT. Thinking of not accepting the interview invitation at UWO as Toronto has been my #1 choice for a while. Thoughts?

I'm currently a third year dental student at Western. I was accepted to both UoT and UWO but chose UWO due to the smaller class size. Looking back I wish I chose UoT because in first year at Western we learn basic Biology and my friends at UoT are further ahead/have more knowledge. I also feel like they've gained more practical experience. UoT also has all of the specialty programs, which is important to consider especially with saturation these days. 

14 minutes ago, dental1010101 said:

I just received a private message saying "...doesn’t really make sense hog the spot and deprive another applicant the opportunity".

To clarify:

1. The interview invitations just came out today and I don't want to have any regrets so I want to make a well informed decision 

2. Of course I wouldn't want to "hog the spot" from someone else, which is why I am asking friends, family and this community for opinions so that I can respond to UWO as soon as possible. 

•  

You should 100% attend the interview because even if you are 99% sure that you want to attend UofT, you'll never be 100% certain unless you've explored all of your options! 

On 3/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, uwotoothfairy said:

I'm currently a third year dental student at Western. I was accepted to both UoT and UWO but chose UWO due to the smaller class size. Looking back I wish I chose UoT because in first year at Western we learn basic Biology and my friends at UoT are further ahead/have more knowledge. I also feel like they've gained more practical experience. UoT also has all of the specialty programs, which is important to consider especially with saturation these days. 

-

Invite

Cumulative average over 2 years: 96.1%

27 AA, 28 RC, 25 PAT

IP

EC:

Both parents are dentists (dad is Schulich alum OMFS), >500 shadowing hours (at least), biomaterial patent pending, novel surgery methodology creation, taught medical students pathology in UG, overseas missions to provide dental care to developing countries, clinical research all throughout undergrad: 10 published articles (First author, Nature, NEJM, American Journal for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - dental specialty field is being created due to new findings). 

11 minutes ago, dental1010101 said:

thanks!! I heard about some of these things too as well as the practical experience part. Is it as bad as some people say or do you feel like you are being trained pretty competently? 

I've heard the same thing too from a current UWO dental student. I think the only person that could answer that is a UWO dental graduate though. 

28 minutes ago, dental1010101 said:

I just received a private message saying "...doesn’t really make sense hog the spot and deprive another applicant the opportunity".

To clarify:

1. The interview invitations just came out today and I don't want to have any regrets so I want to make a well informed decision 

2. Of course I wouldn't want to "hog the spot" from someone else, which is why I am asking friends, family and this community for opinions so that I can respond to UWO as soon as possible. 

•  

I mean I haven't gotten an interview offer yet but I don't think you're hogging it and I'm sorry you had to receive such a message. But yeah I agree that you should talk it over with the people you know. But part of me feels like you already know you want to go to UofT ( which is why I said what I said previously) 

As far as I know there is no such thing as waitlist for interview. If anyone denies an invite they just interview less people. 

Based on numbers, they invite 200 people each cycle and about 160 people actually end up doing the interview.

I might be wrong as well.

If this is true, I suggest no one bail on interview since they are not helping anyone!