Premed 101 Forums

2020 UWO Schulich Interview Invite Acceptance/Rejection Thread

55 minutes ago, Dippandpip said:

You should 100% attend the interview because even if you are 99% sure that you want to attend UofT, you'll never be 100% certain unless you've explored all of your options! 

The flaw in this reasoning would be that you wouldn’t really know anything more about UWO by doing an interview with them. If anything, this would just postpone their decision to a later date. 

2 hours ago, GirlIKnow said:

The flaw in this reasoning would be that you wouldn’t really know anything more about UWO by doing an interview with them. If anything, this would just postpone their decision to a later date. 

I actually disagree with this. I'm not quite sure if UWO also does a faculty tour at the same time, but I personally found seeing the facilities first hand, chatting with the student ambassadors/dean, and the tour extremely insightful when I attended the interview at UofT. :) I know it can be really frustrating when you're waiting for an invite but I think given the opportunity anybody would like to take the time to carefully think out their options to ensure they make the right choice! Even if they attend the interview and decide not to enrol at UWO, the spot will be given to an applicant on the waiting list anyways.

Invite (IP)

GPA: 3.9

24 AA/ 24 PAT

EC: 100+ h of shadowing (general and orthodontics), president of a clothing drive club + long-term executive member of 2 other clubs (tutoring, medical seminar club), DAT prep company note writer, research (domestic + international), etc.

I will most likely be forfeiting the interview invite in favour of UofT. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

31 minutes ago, runningman said:

I actually disagree with this. I'm not quite sure if UWO also does a faculty tour at the same time, but I personally found seeing the facilities first hand, chatting with the student ambassadors/dean, and the tour extremely insightful when I attended the interview at UofT. :) I know it can be really frustrating when you're waiting for an invite but I think given the opportunity anybody would like to take the time to carefully think out their options to ensure they make the right choice! Even if they attend the interview and decide not to enrol at UWO, the spot will be given to an applicant on the waiting list anyways.

Yeah I agree with you 100% about making an informed choice. But there are chances for those to get a tour without doing the interview - esp. just with the off chance that they will choose UWO, and lose that $deposit$. Congrats on your U of T acceptance btw!

15 minutes ago, Dent2021Godhelpme said:

@PororoY 

@uoftearsdropout

Hope you don't mind me asking, are you guys Masters students? No lie I've been feeling pretty discouraged with my chances next year seeing some crazy GPAs. Im in my third year and have a 88% :( 

Biggest piece of advice: stop comparing your stats to others. The average for Western last year (based on their own published stats) was ~88%, so not sure why you feel discouraged. People are always going to be higher than the 88 average, but that doesn't mean you can't get in either. 

On 3/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, uwotoothfairy said:

I'm currently a third year dental student at Western. I was accepted to both UoT and UWO but chose UWO due to the smaller class size. Looking back I wish I chose UoT because in first year at Western we learn basic Biology and my friends at UoT are further ahead/have more knowledge. I also feel like they've gained more practical experience. UoT also has all of the specialty programs, which is important to consider especially with saturation these days. 

Nah, this isn't really true. Pretty similar experience for both schools. At the end of the day, both schools pale in comparison to American schools when it comes to clinical experience. Just choose the school you like more if you have the choice.