Premed 101 Forums

Doctors of BC Presidential Scholars Award

Hello! I received this email informing me of the this very generous scholarship that can be applied for. I was curious if any applicants who applied last year got this email as I cannot find any history of it in my inbox. I know it is a new award but a google search shows that the first recipient received it this past November. Which means it must have been around last cycle! 

1 minute ago, acceptmeplease said:

I received the email this year, but not last year! 

I was rejected after interview last year, however, and was also wondering if anyone that was accepted or waitlisted had received one last year?

Me too! So weird. That’s essentially what I want to know, 

I also received this email and had the same question. Last year, I did not receive an email about the scholarship, and I ended up being waitlisted.

The email does state that it is being sent out to all applicants who interviewed, but I also agree with Pterygoid.

Maybe the application deadline was later last year?

I am thinking they are just notifying applicants of the scholarship earlier this year to allow more time for selection etc.? It is a recent scholarship, was it even established during spring of the 2019 intake? According to this link (https://www.doctorsofbc.ca/news/recipient-of-presidential-scholars-award-announced) it seems like they are increasing each year by 1 student. So 2 students will get it this year vs. 1. They aim to give out 4 scholarships by year four. 

9 hours ago, acidpig said:

it seems like they are increasing each year by 1 student. So 2 students will get it this year vs. 1. They aim to give out 4 scholarships by year four. 

That's what I thought too but then I realized that what this actually means is that by year four, 4 different students will be receiving the scholarship (1 student from each year). So each year there will only be 1 winner.

11 hours ago, mdpwns1763 said:

So the real question is did someone who got in last year, get this email? @Neurophiliac care to chime in? 

9 hours ago, acidpig said:

I am thinking they are just notifying applicants of the scholarship earlier this year to allow more time for selection etc.? It is a recent scholarship, was it even established during spring of the 2019 intake? According to this link (https://www.doctorsofbc.ca/news/recipient-of-presidential-scholars-award-announced) it seems like they are increasing each year by 1 student. So 2 students will get it this year vs. 1. They aim to give out 4 scholarships by year four. 

3 hours ago, Matty66 said:

We didn't get an email last year.

Yup, it is a very new scholarship award!  We didn't get notified of it last year as it wasn't fully established yet.  I would strongly recommend you all consider applying for it!  But I also understand how it can be odd to have applicants apply for it pre-results.  I suppose they want ample time to consider all applicants at a reasonable level, considering how significant the award is.  I wish this could be some sort of hint of acceptance for you guys haha, but don't worry time has no choice but to pass.  ;)

#SoonEnough