Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19 Impact on Electives and Clerkships

2 minutes ago, HateTheSystem said:

3rd year clerks at schools who have paused clerkship: how is your school handling pause on clerkship? I’ve heard some schools in the States have done OSCEs online. Curious what Canadians schools are doing. 

McMaster:

Clerks that were supposed to be on 2 - 4 weeks of electives:  2 weeks Research or reading elective that can be banked onto later for a vacation or just take a vacation.

Clerks that were supposed to finished the last 2 weeks of their cores: Online learning and exams to finish off the core.

And then, 2 weeks of just vacation to see what to do. Afterwards, likely online learning to finish academic half days of various cores. 6 weeks definitely off for, likely 12 weeks. 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:30 PM, swoman said:

McMaster:

Clerks that were supposed to be on 2 - 4 weeks of electives:  2 weeks Research or reading elective that can be banked onto later for a vacation or just take a vacation.

Clerks that were supposed to finished the last 2 weeks of their cores: Online learning and exams to finish off the core.

And then, 2 weeks of just vacation to see what to do. Afterwards, likely online learning to finish academic half days of various cores. 6 weeks definitely off for, likely 12 weeks. 

Seems like there's a lot of variability with some schools pulling students for 3 weeks. Laval pulling clerks out till June 1. 

28 minutes ago, divinecomedy said:

July!? I doubt the status quo would last that long. This really messes up everyone's schedule. Some of us might end up not having any electives at all prior to CaRMS!

wouldn't be surprised.

There are more important things than med students showing their face at their dream schools' dream residency programs right now unfortunately.

Edit: not meant to be sarcastic. Every hospital network, residency program, hospital administration, department chief etc... is overwhelmed right now in the entire country. Anything not COVID related will probably have to wait unfortunately.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:56 PM, divinecomedy said:

July!? I doubt the status quo would last that long. This really messes up everyone's schedule. Some of us might end up not having any electives at all prior to CaRMS!

That is the world we now exist in. What was normal 4 weeks ago is now history. These are exceptional times. Every resource we have is being put towards COVID-19 preparation. It will be like this for the foreseeable future. Everything medical education will be playing second fiddle. 

We are not even close to the peak of this. And it’s likely going to be many many months before we get to the other side. 

Not ideal for you. But these are the times. 

Edited by rogerroger

3 hours ago, rogerroger said:

That is the world we now exist in. What was normal 4 weeks ago is now history. These are exceptional times. Every resource we have is being put towards COVID-19 preparation. It will be like this for the foreseeable future. Everything medical education will be playing second fiddle. 

We are not even close to the peak of this. And it’s likely going to be many many months before we get to the other side. 

Not ideal for you. But these are the times. 

Initially, administration said they're trying to preserve graduation timelines but I don't see how this can happen if clerkship is paused until July with ~24 weeks of clerkship still left

Do we think some schools will go back sooner? UoT, Ottawa and Western for example are set to go back April 6 I believe. What are the chances these get delayed until July as well?

I am assuming more likely than not, that most schools will be delayed longer than initially communicated. But jw others thoughts on this.

48 minutes ago, RicardoKaká said:

Do we think some schools will go back sooner? UoT, Ottawa and Western for example are set to go back April 6 I believe. What are the chances these get delayed until July as well?

I am assuming more likely than not, that most schools will be delayed longer than initially communicated. But jw others thoughts on this.

Not sure if it'll go to July but definitely will go beyond April 6. Hoping for a normalization by June.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, omentum said:

It looks like NOSM has cancelled clerkship until July?

https://www.nosm.ca/our-community/coronavirus-information-for-nosm-community/novel-coronavirus-faq-for-nosm-ume-students/

I'm a bit surprised considering they were one of the last schools to pull students from clinical activities  

I suspect it has to do with numerous collaborations between PHPM and the school. I can't imagine them making any of these decisions without a thorough discussion with our department heads and MOHs. 

- G 

Windsor School of Medicine students are also being recalled from all clinical rotations effective immediately and until further notice on 13th march, 2020. So, i think all international medical universities are taking necessary measures to ensure safety of their students. 

1 hour ago, divinecomedy said:

Isn't Albert Einstein also out? I mean they are at the heart of it right?

As far as I understand they’re making their 4th years work until end of the year without compensation, and without the necessary health insurance either. If one get an ICU bill because they got infected without proper PPE, too bad. Students don’t really have a way to say no without compromising their degree.

2 hours ago, ChemPetE said:

As far as I understand they’re making their 4th years work until end of the year without compensation, and without the necessary health insurance either. If one get an ICU bill because they got infected without proper PPE, too bad. Students don’t really have a way to say no without compromising their degree.

Lol #Murica