Premed 101 Forums
divinecomedy

COVID-19 Impact on Electives and Clerkships

Sherbrooke really outdoing themselves again. They've decided to base their criteria for wether or not 4th years would have to do their last elective (originally planned for may) on the result of ONE written exam done last september that covered all specialties of clerkship even though every student hadn't completed rotations in 2 (sometimes even 3) of the 5 "base" specialties (IM/Surgery/Psych/Ob-Gyn/Peds). Also, half the students had to prepare an additional PHPM exam which adds to how unrepresentative that exam was. They've completely discarded practical rotations outside of a requirement to have had a pass. They've also completely discarded everyother exam result.

That rotation will have to be completed as soon as the current situation allows it.

Ridiculous.

(Remember, we have grades so it's not just a matter of passing that exam, which everyone did)

Schools are cancelling early August visiting electives. I wonder if fall visiting electives will even happen. The impact? I feel like students will match to their home institutions more than ever before with electives being restricted to home programs (imagine spending 8 weeks doing ophthalmology or something at your home school)

U of T has cancelled all visiting electives up to September 25th. Looks like they don't anticipate this being over for a long time. I honestly think away electives will play less of a role in this upcoming cycle. They can't penalize students for not having as many (or any) away electives or else they're not going to have many students to choose from. Everyone's in the same boat here.

For anyone who is interested: https://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2020/04/02/some-canadian-medical-residents-on-pandemic-front-lines-now-but-exams-to-become-licensed-doctors-in-limbo.html?fbclid=IwAR3P98-1TwGvctUy0AB1TObc8kxbTXjNoN6gK1rUk39gXzYhl4XjPql1M0s

Canada works backwards in terms of licensing its final year Canadian residents to work in the front line during the pandemic, specifically Ontario and Manitoba who give restricted license which require supervision. 

12 minutes ago, divinecomedy said:

In addition to Toronto, UBC has cancelled all electives until September 27th and Western until August 23rd. Looks like fall electives are effectively cancelled.

Autumn 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on Tuesday, September 22 and ends on Monday, December 21

1 minute ago, divinecomedy said:

What is the cut-off date for pre-CaRMS electives?

Letters of reference are due on 25 November 2020. How long beforehand, at the end of your rotation, should you ask your preceptor to give them ample notice? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? 

Sometime mid=November is how I think of it

Keep in mind though that we need to make up for lost core time through July, August, and September, leaving only October and part of November for away rotations. Some institutions will likely reserve spots for their own students (I know my school is doing this). It's possible that quite a few medical students won't have any away rotations at all.

7 minutes ago, swoman said:

Letters of reference are due on 25 November 2020. How long beforehand, at the end of your rotation, should you ask your preceptor to give them ample notice? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? 

Sometime mid=November is how I think of it

One attending wrote me a letter a week before the deadline but they were the ones offering it. I wouldn't ask for one less than 2 weeks before and ideally 4 weeks or so.

4 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

One attending wrote me a letter a week before the deadline but they were the ones offering it. I wouldn't ask for one less than 2 weeks before and ideally 4 weeks or so.

By this timeline, students have from end of September to beginning of October (i.e. 6 weeks?) for visiting electives that can produce letters. So much for the 8 week cap giving everyone an opportunity to explore eh

11 minutes ago, swoman said:

By this timeline, students have from end of September to beginning of October (i.e. 6 weeks?) for visiting electives that can produce letters. So much for the 8 week cap giving everyone an opportunity to explore eh

If it goes on that long I think the deadline is going to have to be pushed back, don’t you think? There’s precedent from SARS and that was a much shorter time period than we’re looking at AND limited to Ontario.

19 minutes ago, divinecomedy said:

Keep in mind though that we need to make up for lost core time through July, August, and September, leaving only October and part of November for away rotations. Some institutions will likely reserve spots for their own students (I know my school is doing this). It's possible that quite a few medical students won't have any away rotations at all.

1. I don't think the timeline re: makeup of lost core has been determined yet. It's not yet clear which elective periods will be cancelled or moved around as far as I know. Have you been given different information?

2. Has your school officially communicated to your class that they will be prioritizing their own re: electives? This makes sense of course, but I wasn't aware that there had been any official communication to that effect. Are you in Ontario?