Premed 101 Forums

Why Queens

I think theres a few threads that IMLove has not linked that also speak to why Queen’s is the best Medical School in Canada.

1. Community spirit. Queen’s has one of the smallest and tightest knit community. Having graduated 2 years ago, I still have events with the classmates that have moved to the same city as I have. Furthermore, graduates keep fond memories of Queen’s and are always ready to help out if you reach out. This community feel extends further than just Kingston. When I speak with attendings that graduated from Queen’s, there is an instant connection there. 

2. Administration: Queen’s is one of the best run Medical Schools in the country. The curriculum is outstanding and they constantly modify it to incorporate feedback from prior years. Dr. Sanfilipo is a gem and actively engages the medical student body through Town Hall Meetings where he will update the medical students about what is going on in the medical school. Dean Reznick was great too (he is stepping down this year). He would host every medical student at his house for dinner with his wife by groups of 10.

3. CARMS: Probably a little early for you to start thinking about this but Queen’s consistently has one of the best matches in the country. This is not only with respect to match rate but also when looking at success rate for competitive specialty. 20% of my class matched to the Top 5 most competitive specialty for that year. This is no fluke, the medical school is invested in the success of each medical student and helps you achieve your goal.

4. Kingston: Best student town in Canada. Everything is walking distance which means that you lose no time in traffic or for your commute. 

5. Salaried Physicians: Queen’s is special as all the staff (99%) are salaried. This means they are not feeling forced to see as many patients as possible and will allow you to take your time with patients and will offer great teaching.

6. Preparation for LMCC: Pretty much all schools will prepare you for the LMCC but I felt Queen’s did a great job. We write the NBME after each block (this might have changed since I went through). The LMCC Part I and II were a joke. I got 93 percentile and 96 percentile with limiting studying. I would say a large part of that is due to the approaches I learnt at Queen’s.

I have graduated 2 years ago and my 4 years at Queen’s were the best years of my life. If you have the opportunity to join QMED, I would grasp it with both hands.