Premed 101 Forums

Moving to Calgary for Residency!

Hi all, I am moving to Calgary for residency and that's a switch of provinces. I was wondering if anybody would be able to tell me a little bit about all the teaching sites NE,NW and South and how to rank them?

Which area would be the safest to reside in?

How much does a vehicle registration costs?

Any other important information would be really appreciated. Thank you :)

I can't speak about the teaching sites...they are all in totally different ones.

My friend is a preceptor at NE so of course I am biased.

Calgary is overall safe. There are nicer and less nice neighbourhoods, you'll notice it in the price of rents.

It really depends on what you're looking for in the neighbourhood. Lots of residents live near foothills, then more in the beltline/west downtown, there's tons of new condos on the east side aka east village but it is not gentrified yet and there are always complaints on Calgary red dit about the alpha house and drop in centre clients roaming the neighbourhood there.

you'd have to go to an alberta registry website to find vehicle registration costs.

You need to know that having a car makes travel around Calgary bearable. There are residents who have gone without a car but that's tough!! And...that the south health campus is super far from everything else (20km drive one way for me from downtown).

I suggest doing a search on r e d d I t on the Calgary page for more of the info you're looking for. Welcome to Calgary!