Premed 101 Forums

Science labs

Médecine1

Hello, 

I am looking for some advise. Did someone ever do ONLY the lab part for the science prereq in Montreal ? 

I am looking to do these this summer, but it doesn't seem possible..

- I called 4-5 CEGEP and they don't give the lab part separately so I have to do the whole course 

- UdeM doesn't give lab part for all their classes, and non during summer

- Concordia doesn't seem to give them all either...

- Mcgill doesn't 

I NEED to do most of my labs this summer to apply in September !

Please anyone ? 

Thanks ! 

42 minutes ago, Médecine1 said:

Hello, 

I am looking for some advise. Did someone ever do ONLY the lab part for the science prereq in Montreal ? 

- I called 4-5 CEGEP and they don't give the lab part separately so I have to do the whole course 

- Mcgill doesn't 

Please anyone ? 

Thanks ! 

I know for Concordia there is a separate lab course for what would be the biology II pre-requisite of McGill, and physics I & II. To get those you'd need to get exemptions for courses that came before them (namely: Biol 225, Biol 226, Phys 204, & Phys 205). The physics lab courses are offered in the summer, but the biology lab course, I doubt so.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if McGill (and other schools like Ottawa) will exempt applicants from lab requirements for the coming admission cycle. I know there's a possibility that universities in Quebec will cancel their summer 2020 semester to salvage the winter semester and keep the 2020-2021 academic year as is. Some schools are also considering providing substantially more courses online for the next academic year, and delaying some typically in-person courses to summer 2021. In a lot of cases the infrastructure is already in place, but the staff isn't necessarily trained or experienced with online education.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:36 AM, Médecine1 said:

Hello, 

- Mcgill doesn't 

Please anyone ? 

Thanks ! 

What labs do you need? All 7 of them?

On 3/10/2020 at 12:21 PM, Moonlight2 said:

I know for Concordia there is a separate lab course for what would be the biology II pre-requisite of McGill, and physics I & II. To get those you'd need to get exemptions for courses that came before them (namely: Biol 225, Biol 226, Phys 204, & Phys 205). The physics lab courses are offered in the summer, but the biology lab course, I doubt so.

BIOL 227 is 3 credits, shouldn't it work fine as either a bio I+II lab, bio I lab or bio II lab?

46 minutes ago, lcs.tmng said:

I wonder if McGill (and other schools like Ottawa) will exempt applicants from lab requirements for the coming admission cycle. I know there's a possibility that universities in Quebec will cancel their summer 2020 semester to salvage the winter semester and keep the 2020-2021 academic year as is. Some schools are also considering providing substantially more courses online for the next academic year, and delaying some typically in-person courses to summer 2021. In a lot of cases the infrastructure is already in place, but the staff isn't necessarily trained or experienced with online education.

What labs do you need? All 7 of them?

BIOL 227 is 3 credits, shouldn't it work fine as either a bio I+II lab, bio I lab or bio II lab?

@Médecine1 @Moonlight2

I believe Athabasca offers these courses online with the lab component (I'm not sure if you have to buy materials and perform the experiments yourself while watching videos, but I do know that it has existed for a number of years), so I'm not too sure whether they would waive the lab component requirement or not. I'm also not sure what schools plan to do in terms of summer courses.

40 minutes ago, giraffe3 said:

@Médecine1 @Moonlight2

I believe Athabasca offers these courses online with the lab component (I'm not sure if you have to buy materials and perform the experiments yourself while watching videos, but I do know that it has existed for a number of years), so I'm not too sure whether they would waive the lab component requirement or not. I'm also not sure what schools plan to do in terms of summer courses.

Athabasca offers courses with home labs, but McGill is kind of ambiguous on whether they accept them or not and Ottawa clearly state that they do not accept home labs. I know UdeM is considering canceling their summer semester to focus on completing the current winter semester and guaranteeing a “normal” 2020-2021 academic year.