Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19. Change to online interviews?

I don’t think the schools that already had an interview weekend would make the switch cause that would be an unfair advantage for the people who interviewed on the first weekend. UofA haven’t had any interviews so it makes sense for them to make the switch. 

8 minutes ago, anon98 said:

I don’t think the schools that already had an interview weekend would make the switch cause that would be an unfair advantage for the people who interviewed on the first weekend. UofA haven’t had any interviews so it makes sense for them to make the switch. 

It's not clear to me that a virtual interview would be a disadvantage. In any case there is more than one thing to consider here. If schools really think that it's necessary to limit the exposure of front line workers who will be needed in the coming weeks if we are going to limit fatalities as much as possible, you better believe that that's what will happen.

2 hours ago, anon98 said:

Well Calgary outright cancelled their last portion of interviews so who knows at this point...

13 minutes ago, jyjennyzzang said:

Queen's University also just made the switch for 28th/29th weekend to online interviews.

Hmmm...after the first half of students already interviewed in person... I can think of pros and cons for both in person and online, but I'm curious, do you guys think this would this be more likely to benefit the in-person cohort or the online cohort?

And how could they possibly standardize between the two, with non-verbal communication being such a critical component of interviewing?

8 minutes ago, aloeplant said:

Cons: less able to assess you fully, shitty webcam + mic + wifi = shitty impression, lots of distractions 

Pros: less nervous, unethical folk can cheat easier

In my view all of the intangible aspects of interviewing (like the impression you make, the quality of your character etc.) favor the in person, but all of the practical and logistical aspects (e.g. being able to roll out of bed half an hour before the interview) favor the online. Which is more important? I sure as heck don't know.

And then there's the issue that by virtue of being on a computer, you're able to search stuff up in the 2 minute downtime between questions, or have notes in the walls of the room that you can be looking at. But I trust the smart folk organizing the interview will have accounted for that.

And also, talk about saving money on hotel rooms and transportation...lol

I understand the decision for this, but I'm dreading this as someone who will be interviewing at Queen's online now on the weekend of the 28th/29th.

I feel horribly awkward, distracted and more nervous when speaking through a webcam. I find it's hard to get "excited" and focused/"in the zone" for it like I would for an in-person interview.

I hope that they also take into account the difficulty of making eye contact with a webcam. You have to look right at the webcam hole to direct eye contact which is weird/hard to do with just one person, now imagine if there's multiple faces behind the screen also...I guess I should look into tips for how best to do this :/ 

47 minutes ago, Ontariomedschools said:

I think most research suggests in-person interviews have a higher selection rate. I am hopeful that the schools will make adjustments to make the process fair for everyone. 

They need to do what UofC is planning to do. Send a proportionate number of invites to the March 28/29 candidates compared to the in-person candidates.

-Reserving 1/4 of the seats for the online interviewees wouldn't be the fairest way of going about this.

-It makes more sense to look at the scores from both in-person and online and see if there are any significant statistical differences in scoring, then make necessary adjustments to the scores. People assume that online interviewees are disadvantaged but this might not be the case, it could just as well be the other way around as there are many factors at play (ex. interviewers more sympathetic to the online interviewee's situation). Only by looking at the results can we ensure fairness to both groups of interviewees.

-I am sure UofT has looked at data in the past and found no significant differences between interview dates and offers made. (I.e. there is an even distribution of offers made across all interview dates). Therefore, 1/4 of the seats are basically already being offered to those interviewing on the 28th/29th. Setting a quota likely won't change the numbers much - maybe only a couple of seats. 

-This is coming from someone who hasn't heard back from UofT and likely will get an R, as I have two years in a row. 

-I know that this is a stressful time for all involved because it's all up in the air. I'd be lying if this COVID-19 thing hasn't stressed me out. Let's all however try to remain calm, take a step back before reacting, and trust that admissions will make the best well-informed decision going forward in a logical and fair manner.

4 hours ago, MrsAaronSamuels said:

-Reserving 1/4 of the seats for the online interviewees wouldn't be the fairest way of going about this.

-It makes more sense to look at the scores from both in-person and online and see if there are any significant statistical differences in scoring, then make necessary adjustments to the scores. People assume that online interviewees are disadvantaged but this might not be the case, it could just as well be the other way around as there are many factors at play (ex. interviewers more sympathetic to the online interviewee's situation). Only by looking at the results can we ensure fairness to both groups of interviewees.

-I am sure UofT has looked at data in the past and found no significant differences between interview dates and offers made. (I.e. there is an even distribution of offers made across all interview dates). Therefore, 1/4 of the seats are basically already being offered to those interviewing on the 28th/29th. Setting a quota likely won't change the numbers much - maybe only a couple of seats. 

-This is coming from someone who hasn't heard back from UofT and likely will get an R, as I have two years in a row. 

-I know that this is a stressful time for all involved because it's all up in the air. I'd be lying if this COVID-19 thing hasn't stressed me out. Let's all however try to remain calm, take a step back before reacting, and trust that admissions will make the best well-informed decision going forward in a logical and fair manner.

Totally agree!!