Premed 101 Forums

Interview Cancelation

basically that whoever didnt get a chance to interview will have an automatic interview next year.

They said they will find a way to make it "fair" for everybody this cycle... whatever that means. As an applicant OOP with a lower GPA i know this means bye bye for me...

I'm sure it impacts all of us who interviewed at U of C, not just for the rest of you all who have their scheduled interview on Saturday. I wish they had sent us an email as well, but I'm sure we will hear something soon. 

I imagine the school will provide offers this year based only on pre-MMI scores. And the applicants who got an interview this cycle but did not get in will get an auto-interview for next cycle. They might also make changes to their file review process and how they evaluate. Perhaps more emphasis will be put on Top 10 over GPA. It's hard to say. These are my predictions.

Anyways, the school will try to make it fair. 

I know many of you are very sad to hear of this news. I am too, but please, we're at a time potentially leading to a public health crisis (look at Italy), so remember that's what will take precedence over us applicants.   

30 minutes ago, acacna said:

And the applicants who got an interview this cycle but did not get in will get an auto-interview for next cycle.

I’m not sure about this. In the email it says, “Any applicant who is not admitted to the class of 2023 and did not have a chance to interview March 14th will automatically be offered an interview in the next cycle.” This makes it sound like the interviews held on Feb 29 and Mar 1 will be counted and anyone who did not have a chance to interview will have another chance next year. As pp said, our chance will be lower. But the details have been very vague so I guess there’s a chance they do it differently than what I’m thinking. 

Reading through the comments on the admissions blog is beyond infuriating. How selfish and self-absorbed are many of the applicants this year. Sometimes it's ok to realize that there is something bigger than you going on (LIKE AN ACTUAL F*CKING GLOBAL PANDEMIC) and to sit down and shut up. The entitlement in the discussion thread is absolutely nauseating. Get some perspective. Honestly...

Tell the patients in ICUs fighting for their life or people whose bodies are stacked in the back of trucks in blocks-long military convoys that "it's not fair". Be embarrassed. Unbelievable.

26 minutes ago, Borborygmi said:

Reading through the comments on the admissions blog is beyond infuriating. How selfish and self-absorbed are many of the applicants this year. Sometimes it's ok to realize that there is something bigger than you going on (LIKE AN ACTUAL F*CKING GLOBAL PANDEMIC) and to sit down and shut up. The entitlement in the discussion thread is absolutely nauseating. Get some perspective. Honestly...

Tell the patients in ICUs fighting for their life or people whose bodies are stacked in the back of trucks in blocks-long military convoys that "it's not fair". Be embarrassed. Unbelievable.

I think you are absolutely right in that the situation here is bigger than us and we need to be patient. But I don't agree that we should sit down and shut up. There is nothing wrong with a civil conversation about the future of your life. This global pandemic does not define who we are and does not dictate the course of the rest of our life so it is understandable that people think about the future and how things now can impact them greatly. This goes not only for med applicants but for anyone out there planning their career aspirations, or anyone whose business is impacted. This pandemic does not stop our lives. We still need to stay vigilant and take things into our control in civil, respectful, and realistic ways. Of course, I am disappointed in the comments and I think many of them fail to realize how hard the school is working to make things fair but I really don't think that everyone should now sit down, shut up and let others decide things for them with absolutely no feedback from us. 

• 2 weeks later...