Premed 101 Forums

Are Dalhousie interview invites out ?

1 hour ago, DentKoolKid said:

I have a 4.0 as well and it says in my email "If you decide to re-apply, you should be aware that the most significant factors in competition for places are a student’s academic standing in recent university studies and in the higher level prerequisite courses (physiology, biochemistry and microbiology) for entrance to dentistry. " I guess the competition for OOP is just very high... 

4.0/4.0 or 4.0/4.3?

It sucks that they only look at GPA pre-interview :(

26 minutes ago, pinkelephant said:

I assume that they still have cut-offs for DAT scores before they consider GPAs for interviews. But I have no idea how they are weighing the MDT. 

33 minutes ago, DentKoolKid said:

I did have really low DMT though, so it seems to me they looked at DAT score as well

When I asked Jo-Anne a few months ago if they looked at the DAT for interview invites she said no, they only look at higher sciences GPA and last 60 cr GPA. 

1 minute ago, Maggie19 said:

When I asked Jo-Anne a few months ago if they looked at the DAT for interview invites she said no, they only look at higher sciences GPA and last 60 cr GPA. 

Yes in terms of competitive ranking, but if someone gets a 5 for example on the DAT, why would they rank their GPA for an interview? DAT scores came out today and Dal released interview invites. 

6 minutes ago, pinkelephant said:

Yes in terms of competitive ranking, but if someone gets a 5 for example on the DAT, why would they rank their GPA for an interview? DAT scores came out today and Dal released interview invites. 

Ohhh yeah I understand what you mean, it would not make sense to invite someone who has 0 chance post-interview.

Does anyone have any idea as to how much MDT will matter to Dal this year? They supposedly didn't use DAT marks to decide interview invites, so I assume it will come into play for final decisions? Since it's the first year they are considering MDT, do you think it will matter a lot or just be basically a check mark whether you did it or not, like McGill does I believe?

29 minutes ago, je13071217 said:

Does anyone have any idea as to how much MDT will matter to Dal this year? They supposedly didn't use DAT marks to decide interview invites, so I assume it will come into play for final decisions? Since it's the first year they are considering MDT, do you think it will matter a lot or just be basically a check mark whether you did it or not, like McGill does I believe?

I don't know exactly how they will look at it but Jo-Anne told me they will assess it "competitively". This makes me think that they will not use it as a simple cut-off.

20 minutes ago, dent3490 said:

Has anyone who did receive an interview invite hear back once they confirmed? 

Yes, Jo-Anne confirmed that she had seen my email the next day around 6pm. She didn't say anything else though. I have not received anything concerning the date or any further details, just a confirmation.

1 minute ago, Maggie19 said:

Yes, Jo-Anne confirmed that she had seen my email the next day around 6pm. She didn't say anything else though. I have not received anything concerning the date or any further details, just a confirmation.

Hmm okay, thanks for the information! I didn't receive a confirmation. I emailed her back on Thursday evening so I'm wondering if it went through.

1 minute ago, dent3490 said:

Hmm okay, thanks for the information! I didn't receive a confirmation. I emailed her back on Thursday evening so I'm wondering if it went through.

She probably has a bunch of emails to get back to. However, someone I know emailed her this weekend (Saturday I think) and Jo-Anne answered last night. Your email may have gotten lost in a bunch of other emails. You could ask for a confirmation in a few days if she hasn't answered you by that time?

2 minutes ago, Maggie19 said:

She probably has a bunch of emails to get back to. However, someone I know emailed her this weekend (Saturday I think) and Jo-Anne answered last night. Your email may have gotten lost in a bunch of other emails. You could ask for a confirmation in a few days if she hasn't answered you by that time?

Yes, I will wait another day or so and then reach out again to make sure that it was seen. Do you mind me asking if you were using a Dal email?