Premed 101 Forums

Online interviews for March 28/29

I understand why this is necessary but I'm disappointed we won't be getting a tour of the school.  I was really excited and looking forward to full interview day experience.   I wonder how role play and different MMI stations will look like online...I hope they have different interviewers at each "station" like in person.    

12 minutes ago, ptRN said:

Did they only email people waiting to interview on March 28/29? I interviewed on March 7th but didn’t receive any email updates from Queen’s. I wonder how they will fairly assess and compared the two interview results.

i interviewed on the 8th and didn't get an email either so i assume so! i'm wondering the same thing...

All they said about the comparison:

"The Admissions committee is dedicated to a fair and equitable evaluation of our candidates and those scheduled for the second interview weekend should not have any concerns with regards to the equity of their evaluation.

More details to follow.

Just now, conbrio said:

All they said about the comparison:

"The Admissions committee is dedicated to a fair and equitable evaluation of our candidates and those scheduled for the second interview weekend should not have any concerns with regards to the equity of their evaluation.

More details to follow.

I would have some faith that what they are saying is correct - there will be analysis between the two weekends I am sure to make sure that is the case. The school won't want any issues on their end either (they still want the best candidates). 

It will be different, but you also have time to prepare. Shifting some practise to actually being online might help. 

3 hours ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

Does anyone have experience using the Kira Talent platform for interviews?  I have a hard time imaging what this might look like for an MMI.  

I haven't used it but some prep companies have resources if you google "Kira Talent" and Kira talent also has a website. I'm sure they will modify some aspects of their interviews (ie. no written answers?) but it seems like we will not be interacting with interviewers based on what their website says :unsure:

I don't but that's a very good question.  If they were to require typing this would essentially become another CASPER test.  I think it would make most sense if they simply recorded our answers verbally, otherwise the in person and the online would not be anywhere near equivalent.  Anyone else worrying about what background they'll have?  Things that we took for granted with in person interviews that now might influence the perception of the interviewers!  I think keeping a neutral blank background is probably best.  

15 minutes ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

If they were to require typing this would essentially become another CASPER test.

I think it would be nice if they gave us the opportuinty to type our thoughts out in the 2 minutes we get to read the prompt if we so desired, instead of making it a requirement (becuase yeah you're right, then it's just CASPer which does not match the in-person interview at all). I really liked that Queen's was going to allow us to write down our answers for the in-person MMIs using a blank sheet of paper and pencil in the 2 minutes we got to think before entering the rooms, so it sucks that we now don't get that same opportunity. I think the only way to regulate note taking would be to just allow us to do so virtually, so they can destroy the notes after we move onto the next question. I don't know if Kira Talent could simulate this though! :unsure:

15 minutes ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

Anyone else worrying about what background they'll have? 

Like you said, I think a neutral background is best! I'm just planning on rearranging my room so my wall is the only thing they'll see.

6 hours ago, Medd2020 said:

Has anyone received any updates about Kira Talent from Queen's university? Unfortunately, there is a glitch and I'm not receiving any emails. Did they send an email out about how to schedule for the online panel portion? 

They haven't sent any updates since March 17 (that I am aware of), but the admissions team mentioned that the panel would not be scheduled in March when I emailed them about this.

1 hour ago, Anon_9 said:

They haven't sent any updates since March 17 (that I am aware of), but the admissions team mentioned that the panel would not be scheduled in March when I emailed them about this.

Thanks so much for responding. I have been missing all of Queen's medicine emails and had  to call them every time to manually send me the email. I'm not sure how to fix this, but it's been very worrisome. 

11 hours ago, Medd2020 said:

Thanks so much for responding. I have been missing all of Queen's medicine emails and had  to call them every time to manually send me the email. I'm not sure how to fix this, but it's been very worrisome. 

No worries! Agh that must be annoying, but I'm sure there will be some discussion on this forum every time important information is sent out. Maybe try asking them to check if you're on their email list if you haven't already?

1 hour ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

So I hear that the queen's MMI is unique and challenging.

DO you guys know if they will provide their own questions through Kira Talent or will the questions be created by Kira Talent and they'll just give us all a score and send it to queen's (like Casper)? 

they have stated (in an email to a friend) that they are uploading their own questions to the Kira platform

On 3/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, RaptorsFan123 said:

So I hear that the queen's MMI is unique and challenging.

DO you guys know if they will provide their own questions through Kira Talent or will the questions be created by Kira Talent and they'll just give us all a score and send it to queen's (like Casper)? 

Hey! I have heard this a few times now - do you know why/how they're so unique and challenging?

8 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

Yup, sent earlier today. 

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately despite using an alternative email address, I was still unable to receive the Kira email. After calling, they sent it to me as a word doc. 

In the document it says for more information on the assessment process, proceed by clicking the ‘Check In’ button below! Since this was a word doc, I don't have a check in button. 

Does anyone mind sharing this link that gives more info about the assessment process with me? Thank you in advance.