Premed 101 Forums

Interview Cancelled??

Come on, don't be so hard on yourself. Although we will never find out our CASPer scores, you made it this far (and yes I know, so did 550 other people) and there's something about you that McMaster thought would make you a good physician.

I personally didn't prepare much for CASPer as well, and I definitely could've done better if I had otherwise. But they mark you on that on-the-spot thinking (and typing) and McMaster decided your CASPer score was high enough to land you that interview! I'm sure no one ever feels as if their CASPer was a solid 10/10 experience. It goes by so fast.

McMaster has consistently accepted ~60% of their interviewees in the past, so I would say your chances are good. More than half of us will likely get in! Keep your heads up :)

And yes, I am just as worried as all of you are. But if my experiences taught me anything, it's that the resiliency of the human spirit is nurtured when we prevail through times of uncertainty like this. And this in itself would make for a great experience when we do become physicians haha.

These positive remarks are super!! It can be difficult to stay positive in times like this but it is super important! I have faith that the school will find the best possible option that is the most fair to everyone and honestly it seems that everyone on this board would likely be a wonderful doctor! Best of luck to everyone :wub:

6 minutes ago, icymeia said:

Calgary is doing virtual MMIs - do we think Mac is going to go back on their word?

Probably not, because McMaster also sent a confirmation email saying that:

"McMaster MD Program has made a decision that we will not hold in-person or virtual interviews in 2020 given the current limitations".

Honestly I cancelled my travel without possibility of a refund so I would be quite pissed if that were the case

Just now, ejvrei said:

I would agree that they probably won't based on the "FAQ" email. Also, they knew online MMI was a possibility before because Queen's is already planning on doing it and still said they would not be doing it virtually!

Yeah, and I am inclined to believe that UofC followed suit with Queen's since it would be unfair to those who already had an in-person MMI. McMaster however can start as a blank slate.

Just now, premedontario said:

Yeah, and I am inclined to believe that UofC followed suit with Queen's since it would be unfair to those who already had an in-person MMI. McMaster however can start as a blank slate.

I would also have been inclined to believe that but Calgary has said they are assessing the virtual MMI applicants separately from the in person MMI applicants

10 hours ago, premedontario said:

McMaster has consistently accepted ~60% of their interviewees in the past, so I would say your chances are good. More than half of us will likely get in! Keep your heads up :)

Hey everyone, I've been seeing statements like this floating around (also others saying that Mac accepts 330 applicants out of 550 who are offered interviews). Where are you guys getting this information from?

11 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

Hey everyone, I've been seeing statements like this floating around (also others saying that Mac accepts 330 applicants out of 550 who are offered interviews). Where are you guys getting this information from?

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

This shows the acceptance rate (and lots of other info) for all Canadian med schools.

20 minutes ago, lebensphilosopher said:

Does this mean that for next cycle there will be less interview spots for new applicants and so it will be more difficult to secure an interview?

Logistically, they probably have neither the time nor the personnel to interview more than however many they currently interview (~550). So I would think there would be less interview spots for new applicants next cycle.

It's possible they may increase the number of interviewees but keep in mind that if they take some people over from this cycle, there would likely be less applicants for next cycle, and everyone who got an interview this cycle has strong enough stats to be at least competitive in any cycle, so they may not see a need to interview more people.

But regardless, we know for a fact that whatever they do, the entering class will stay at ~200.

23 minutes ago, TheWayIAre said:

Logistically, they probably have neither the time nor the personnel to interview more than however many they currently interview (~550). So I would think there would be less interview spots for new applicants next cycle.

It's possible they may increase the number of interviewees but keep in mind that if they take some people over from this cycle, there would likely be less applicants for next cycle, and everyone who got an interview this cycle has strong enough stats to be at least competitive in any cycle, so they may not see a need to interview more people.

But regardless, we know for a fact that whatever they do, the entering class will stay at ~200.

This in mind, many of the people who don’t get selected will get in to another school, so there will probably be a select few people who end up actually interviewing next cycle, and they would have probably re-applied anyway, with similar interview-worthy stats. This doesn’t change much on that front 

1 minute ago, premedontario said:

UofCalgary brougut back the MMI because the email mentioned cancelling the in person MMI. McMaster said they would cancel the MMI and also stated there would be no interviews of any kind in 2020.

It's also different bcos Calgary had already interviewed a few whereas Mac hasn't interviewed anybody