Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill MDCM Fall 2020 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist Thread

Md2bepls

2 hours ago, Thiepac said:

TIME STAMP: 10:55

Result: Admitted with condition

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

MCAT: Not submitted

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): First interview after facing many reject over the years. I felt good about 7-8 stations but was convinced I screwed up royally on 2-3 of them. But with time, I started doubting everything I did until today

Year:  2nd undergrad finished in 2018

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: To anyone reading this, it was my 6th time applying. After my first bachelor (with a disastrous GPA), I was even told by an advisor I could never get into med school. But I kept reading success stories on the forum about people who did a second bachelor and who got in. Thus I went down that road, which was not easy by any means, but it was all worth it. Do not get discouraged by getting a reject, keep improving yourself, do stuff that matters to you and which will show the adcoms how everyday you strive to become a better version of yourself and how big is your resolve to get into med school. Do not let a reject define who you are at the moment. You'll get in, I believe in that. It's just a matter of time.

Congratulations to everyone who got in and for those on the waitlist, it's not easy to be patient but it will pay off.

This really means a lot to me, congratulations, you absolutely deserve it and you will be amazing

5 minutes ago, m.shield said:

This really means a lot to me, congratulations, you absolutely deserve it and you will be amazing

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I see you are on the waitlist? Hope you have a good spot on there and soon enough, you'll get some great news. Ease your mind and know you did your very best at the interview. 

I am 73rd, so I do not think this is my year. But this is why I really appreciated reading your comment. It meant a lot.

1 minute ago, Thiepac said:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I see you are on the waitlist? Hope you have a good spot on there and soon enough, you'll get some great news. Ease your mind and know you did your very best at the interview. 

4 minutes ago, m.shield said:

I am 73rd, so I do not think this is my year. But this is why I really appreciated reading your comment. It meant a lot.

I'm honored. I kept reading posts like the one I did when I got rejected over the years and I had to give back to the community by sharing my story. It is not easy I know but you have the right attitude and mindset, and your turn to share your story is just around the corner. 

TIME STAMP: Around 10am this morning

Result: Waitlisted : MTL #1
Pre-req GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 112

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Second time doing it. Last year I was quite confident. This year felt way worse.

Year: Finishing PhD

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Comments: I've applied too many times to count. This was the last time I would have applied too. Message me with any questions I'd be happy to help.

TIME STAMP: around 2 pm

Result: Waitlist- MTL #64

Pre-req GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 520

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): It did not feel particularly bad, other than 2-3 stations which didn't feel like I did all I could, the rest I felt like I did pretty much all I'd practiced for. I was very positive throughout the experience and felt like I made a good impression on the people I interacted with (but I guess I didn't!)

Year: Last year of undergrad

Comments: Feel very weird tbh, did not expect this as I didn't think I'd done a bad job at the interview, but what can I say... Just hope I'm lucky enough to get an interview next year as well and I can do better. Congrats to everyone who got in.

6 hours ago, allegropagan said:

For those in grad school, does McGill have a requirement stipulating that you must complete your graduate studies before being admitted to med school (the way this is a requirement for undergrad programs)?

No!

Well, I hope they know it's impossible for me to finish a PhD that I started this January. Haha

4 hours ago, premedubc101 said:

Were we not supposed to receive an email package with the pdf acceptance letter and forms to fill out? 

My email just said there's a decision on Minerva....

Same here. It will probably come later today?

TIME STAMP: Don`t know cause I waited for the email...

Pre-req GPA: 3.71

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): 2nd time around. The first time was disasterous and I ranked in the bottom third. This time,  I practiced, applied myself and the MMI was actually quite enjoyable and I left the interview feeling great. 

Year:  2nd undergrad finished in 2016, masters finished in 2017, both were professional degrees. 

Comments: To everyone reading this who did not get the answer that they were hoping for - I feel you. Last year I was in the same spot. I am a mature non-traditional student. I decided to pursue medicine later in life, years removed from any science classes and had to retake my pre-reqs after finishing my degrees. This meant long nights after working multiple jobs, all with a dream and goal in mind. I was told by many that I was crazy, that I would not get in. Pursuing this caused frictions in relationships that ended as a result. The sacrifices were considerable. 

If it is truly your dream do not give up. 

Can`t wait to join some of you soon and for the others - remain hopeful and keep on applying, wishing you the best!

13 minutes ago, swtomd said:

TIME STAMP: Don`t know cause I waited for the email...

Pre-req GPA: 3.71

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): 2nd time around. The first time was disasterous and I ranked in the bottom third. This time,  I practiced, applied myself and the MMI was actually quite enjoyable and I left the interview feeling great. 

Year:  2nd undergrad finished in 2016, masters finished in 2017, both were professional degrees. 

Comments: To everyone reading this who did not get the answer that they were hoping for - I feel you. Last year I was in the same spot. I am a mature non-traditional student. I decided to pursue medicine later in life, years removed from any science classes and had to retake my pre-reqs after finishing my degrees. This meant long nights after working multiple jobs, all with a dream and goal in mind. I was told by many that I was crazy, that I would not get in. Pursuing this caused frictions in relationships that ended as a result. The sacrifices were considerable. 

If it is truly your dream do not give up. 

Can`t wait to join some of you soon and for the others - remain hopeful and keep on applying, wishing you the best!

Congrats! Can i ask how you know your ranking within the MMIs?

For those of you who prepared for the interview, what did you learn during your preparation that helped you during the interview? And what exactly did you do to prepare? I felt like you had to be open minded and make sure you had all the information before giving advice and that's what I did but apparently it wasn't good enough haha. Please help me get better for next year!

TIME STAMP: Not too sure I was very busy but I opened at 14h30 

Result: Admitted with condition

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I thought I bombed ~50% of the stations & at times I didn’t answer questions appropriately in my opinion. However, I tried to not think about the previous station every time I moved on to the next one (I know it’s very hard)! 

Year: MSc year 1 

1 hour ago, Joules95 said:

For those of you who prepared for the interview, what did you learn during your preparation that helped you during the interview? And what exactly did you do to prepare? I felt like you had to be open minded and make sure you had all the information before giving advice and that's what I did but apparently it wasn't good enough haha. Please help me get better for next year!

Personally, a friend of mine connected me with people he found on facebook. I practiced 4-5 times with different people every time and it helped in the sense that I was able to get feedback from people who did not know me at all and also just observing them when it was their turn to practice a scenario, I was able to pick up some behaviours/attitude to avoid during the interview as well as different ways of approaching a situation. But in my opinion, what prepared me the most for the interview was working in a call centre for 5+ years as I practiced how to deal with a wide range of people from all over the world and with diverse backgrounds/culture. I taught me how to quickly adapt to people, remain composed, caring and professional, and work with them to find a solution to their issues.

Hope it helps.

22 minutes ago, premedubc101 said:

Anyone know where to find the form we are supposed to sign and fill? Not on minerva for me. MAAF or something. 

It’s in the link in the offer letter. 

Also, you literally have until July 31 to complete these requirements. So no need to try to complete every single requirement ASAP. You will receive clearer and more detailed information with time. 

10 minutes ago, mcgillmdbd said:

It’s in the link in the offer letter. 

Also, you literally have until July 31 to complete these requirements. So no need to try to complete every single requirement ASAP. You will receive clearer and more detailed information with time. 

Thanks lol. 

Sorry just paranoid.  So many years of trying to get in that now I just dont wanna mess anything up :') . 

Also, it says that the degree on which admission was granted needs to be done by July 31. I'm done my bachelors, and about to finish my masters. My basis of admission degree was my BSc. So I'm set for that right?

1 minute ago, premedubc101 said:

Thanks lol. 

Sorry just paranoid.  So many years of trying to get in that now I just dont wanna mess anything up :') . 

Also, it says that the degree on which admission was granted needs to be done by July 31. I'm done my bachelors, and about to finish my masters. My basis of admission degree was my BSc. So I'm set for that right?

No worries, and congratulations! It’s definitely something to celebrate and be happy about. No need to stress about it though, because you’re all set and it’s official :) 

I believe you’re good. Did Minerva say admitted or admitted with condition? If it’s the first then it should be fine. I would verify with admissions later on just to be 100% sure. 

3 hours ago, premedubc101 said:

Thanks lol. 

EDIT: To the best of my knowledge, yes, you are! congratulations ! But yes just double check with admissions to clarify the conditions, if any.  

Edited by liveyourdream

Someome please make a fb group :P I'm dying to "meet" you guys. 

Also, I just want to say to those who are still trying, never give up!! It took me a long time, lots of stress, anxiety and anguish, but I could never see myself in another profession and I kept going. 

Look for true friends who help you in the process and help each other achieve your dreams. 

Believe in yourself.