Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill MDCM Fall 2020 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist Thread

Md2bepls

1 hour ago, premedubc101 said:

Someome please make a fb group :P I'm dying to "meet" you guys. 

Also, I just want to say to those who are still trying, never give up!! It took me a long time, lots of stress, anxiety and anguish, but I could never see myself in another profession and I kept going. 

Look for true friends who help you in the process and help each other achieve your dreams. 

Believe in yourself.

Should we create the Facebook group ourselves? Or are current students doing it for us?

Last time I did that (created a facebook group for my bachelors degree cohort) I ended up blacklisted during integration activities LOL. Apparently we were not supposed to do that. Oops.

I can't wait too!

28 minutes ago, Mel96b said:

Should we create the Facebook group ourselves? Or are current students doing it for us?

Last time I did that (created a facebook group for my bachelors degree cohort) I ended up blacklisted during integration activities LOL. Apparently we were not supposed to do that. Oops.

I can't wait too!

no one is going to blacklist you, but yes the group will be set up by a member of one of the current classes. they're all named 'McGill Medicine Class of 202X' on fb so you can just keep an eye out for when 2024 is formed and message them, if you're super eager

19 minutes ago, Hellothere77 said:

no one is going to blacklist you, but yes the group will be set up by a member of one of the current classes. they're all named 'McGill Medicine Class of 202X' on fb so you can just keep an eye out for when 2024 is formed and message them, if you're super eager

Thank you for the info!! :)

13 hours ago, Mel96b said:

I can't wait too!

Please wait. The official groups are tightly monitored and require your McGill email. There many Sub groups made for your academics as well. 

4 minutes ago, Vendar said:

Please wait. The official groups are tightly monitored and require your McGill email. There many Sub groups made for your academics as well. 

Can people on the waitlist join the groups or would I have to wait until I'm off the waitlist? McGill is my first or second choice, but I'd love to talk to OOP upper-years through that group before making my final decision!

TIME STAMP: 9:00am MST

Result: Admitted with Condition (MLT)

Pre-req GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 521 (130/129/131/131)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt good with the first 8ish. The last two were a bit of a mess (probably because I was tired... 7:15am appointment but interviewed in the second group...)

Year: 4th year undergrad

IP/OOP/International: IP 

Comments: So happy. McGill was my top choice. I woke up expecting a refusal because it's my first year applying and didn't want to get my hopes up... Good luck to those on the waitlist, and for those applying next year: you can do this!!

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this to give hope to future applicants ~ 

TIME STAMP: 9:00am EST

Result: Admitted with Condition (MTL)

Pre-req GPA: 3.50 (cGPA=3.69)

MCAT: 510 (128/126/129/127)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): First time doing MMIs so wasn't sure what to expect. I tried to be as genuine as possible at all the stations but had no idea how I did when I walked out of the simulation centre.

Year: 4th year undergrad

Comments: DISCLAIMER ~ I'm pretty sure my CV is the reason I got an interview (I have a lot of research experience and other ECs). That being said, clearly you can still get in with below average stats. Good luck to all the future applicants - I'm sure your hard work will pay off!!!

On 3/25/2020 at 6:07 PM, Thiepac said:

TIME STAMP: 10:55

Result: Admitted with condition

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

MCAT: Not submitted

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): First interview after facing many reject over the years. I felt good about 7-8 stations but was convinced I screwed up royally on 2-3 of them. But with time, I started doubting everything I did until today

Year:  2nd undergrad finished in 2018

Comments: To anyone reading this, it was my 6th time applying. After my first bachelor (with a disastrous GPA), I was even told by an advisor I could never get into med school. But I kept reading success stories on the forum about people who did a second bachelor and who got in. Thus I went down that road, which was not easy by any means, but it was all worth it. Do not get discouraged by getting a reject, keep improving yourself, do stuff that matters to you and which will show the adcoms how everyday you strive to become a better version of yourself and how big is your resolve to get into med school. Do not let a reject define who you are at the moment. You'll get in, I believe in that. It's just a matter of time.

Congratulations to everyone who got in and for those on the waitlist, it's not easy to be patient but it will pay off.

Congrats on the acceptance!! :) That's awesome!

I also have a question- do professional degrees offer any type of boost to the GPA? I've tried to search for the answer but haven't seemed to find anything related to that.

Thanks for your help and congrats again!!!

35 minutes ago, _Bubbles_ said:

Congrats on the acceptance!! :) That's awesome!

I also have a question- do professional degrees offer any type of boost to the GPA? I've tried to search for the answer but haven't seemed to find anything related to that.

Thanks for your help and congrats again!!!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. As far as I know, the type of degree you are completing/completed does not give an advantage at McGill. Someone corrects me if I’m wrong, please.

But I know for a fact, Quebec French Universities have a “table étalon”, which basically gives a boost for completing a major over another. Check Ulaval’s one if you are able to read french: https://www.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/admission/table-des-etalons.pdf

Let me know if I could  be of any help.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Joules95 said:

So the waiting list hasn't moved since March 31st. Do you guys know if that's because no one is giving up their spot or because they're just not updating it will all that is happening right now?

French schools are going to release their decisions on May 13th, so it's logical there's not much movement right now in the WL... expect it to move a lot during the week following May 13th!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: didn't indicate (Minerva) 

Result: Admitted with Condition (MTL campus)

Pre-req GPA: 4.0 (cGPA=3.97)

EC's: Diversified (research heavy, 2 pubs, 2 posters, president of a tutoring organization, garnets volleyball, gardening, community volleyball coach, hospital volunteering, food banks, etc...)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt stressed initially but honestly after the first station you start to feel comfortable and i felt like that was key to connect with the interviewers.

Year: 1st year Msc

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Comments: Good luck to all the future applicants, this has been one hell of a journey. SO EXCITED!!!

TIME STAMP: not shown on Minerva 

Result: Admitted with Condition (MTL campus)

Pre-req GPA: 4.0 (cGPA=3.98)

EC's: Research (2 publications at time of application),  Volunteering and leadership in various patient support groups and clinical settings,  2 International volunteering experiences, tutoring in French and English programs, Swimming, Soccer, and other hobbies.

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): In my experience, these were some of the most challenging, yet most fair interviews for admission into a medical program. I found that I was tested holistically and had a fair shot at showing my strengths. I did feel I under-performed at 2 or 3 stations, yet this did not ruin me (for those of you reading this in the future,  don't sweat-it if one station didn't go perfectly, since I spent a long time ruminating on those stations and turned out fine).

Year: Completed undergrad

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Comments: Best wishes to all current and future applicants. Do not lose hope. Focus on what you enjoy, work hard, be patient, and the rest will come naturally.

25 minutes ago, Applicant95 said:

I was (and still am according to Minerva) #5 on the OOP waitlist and the website (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/after-youve-applied/waitlist-post-interview) shows that the OOP waitlist has moved to #5. I haven't yet gotten an offer yet though! I wonder what's up.

The website lists the next potential offer, meaning that right now offers have gone out to OOP #1-#4. You are next in line for an offer, but the offer hasn't been made as of now.

If the website moves to #6, and you still haven't gotten an offer, that's when you should start asking questions.

6 minutes ago, pnpclear said:

The website lists the next potential offer, meaning that right now offers have gone out to OOP #1-#4. You are next in line for an offer, but the offer hasn't been made as of now.

If the website moves to #6, and you still haven't gotten an offer, that's when you should start asking questions.

Oops sorry, my reading comprehension is apparently terrible haha

Any successful applicants looking for a roommate? I'm OOP and looking for a roommate (preferably female). Happy to talk via video chat to get to know one another a bit.

I'm female, anglophone, and very clean! I am actually part of the McGill DMD Class of 2024 (i.e. dentistry), but I'm having a tougher time finding roommates via the McGill DMD threads since our class size consists of only 27 people this year. The first 16 months of the DMD program is held in conjunction with the MD program, so we'll have all the same classes. :)

If interested, shoot me a private message!

• 2 weeks later...